PDA

View Full Version : Q for my pre-reg friend

Helen Dempster
03-10-2012, 12:07 PM
Hi all

My pre-reg friend has an open plan kitchen/hall/living room/dining room etc and she can't find any gates that fit to close them off to the children. She's been told at her course that it's not a problem and she doesn't actually need them (just needs to ensure the kids are safe and don't wander into the kitchen). She's a bit concerned about how she'll do this, esp when dealing with another child and we all know some toddlers are fast as lightning!!

All those of you who are open plan, do you have any tips/advice so I can reassure my friend before her pre-reg inspection please?

Thanks all x

The Juggler
03-10-2012, 12:36 PM
i don't have open plan I have an old victorian terrace and the kitchen is down a long hallway, but I don't close off my kitchen. I have locks on the cupboard doors in the kitchens so they can wander in and out safely. If I'm cooking babies are up at the table doing something :thumbsup:

Polly2
03-10-2012, 04:20 PM
A friend of mine used a baby dan playpen to enclose certain areas off in her open plan kitchen. It depends how wide the space is though.

lilac_dragon
03-10-2012, 06:01 PM
I had a similar problem - used one of those extending fireguards. DH put hooks into the door frames to secure it to. Screws weren't particularly obtrusive and it worked well

moggy
03-10-2012, 06:05 PM
I am completely open plan here- in kitchen area I just keep knives etc out of reach, use cupboard locks and if oven is actually on/hot I am around to supervise. It has never been a problem, in fact it is great to be able to potter in the kitchen preparing/clearing up/cooking and have full view of children in play area or at the dining table.

starlight1
03-10-2012, 08:31 PM
I am not open plan but don't have a gate on door...locks on cupboards...Ofsted were fine with it.

Mrs Scrubbit
03-10-2012, 10:22 PM
Same here , I've got locks on all my unit doors children are free to come and go as they please never had any problems. x