PDA

View Full Version : Speech Therapy?

TNT
03-10-2012, 09:11 AM
Hello
I need a bit of advice about a mindee who I have been looking after for nearly 2 years now.
When she started at 24 months she had very little speech at all which I know is perfectly normal, mum raised it as an issue and I have supported her in various ways - sure start speech and language groups, clearly repeating back what she says etc, etc. She has made lots of progress but she is nearly 4 now and I can only understand 50% of what she says which I feel is an issue, she has a good vocabulary but cannot pronounce most words properly, she also eats with her mouth open and tongue coming out if you know what I mean.
She attends preschool 5 mornings a week so have had a chat with her keyworker who was a bit vague to be honest and said she would give me a copy of her targets.
Mum says she is not overly concerned because her older sister was the same and is now fine. Do I just leave it at that because mum is happy with the situation? I was a teacher before childminding and would have definately referred her to speech therapy through the SENCO if at the nursery so feel I need to do a bit more.

jillplum
03-10-2012, 09:32 AM
Well it is really the Mums decision so your hands are tied somewhat. I would voice my concerns to Mum and record that I have done so in my files. Perhaps look online for some at home therapy ideas you can do with her at your house and let Mum know what you are doing. Good Luck

Pipsqueak
03-10-2012, 09:32 AM
I would do some specific observations and then you have your 'evidence' for referring or not.

Have a look at the Early Support Materials - one for SLT. (These materials have not been updated as yet but still useful and valid).

If you still feel the child needs additional help - get parents permission and ask your early years team to sign post you - they may have an EY intervention team or the parent may allow you to refer to SLT.

the ICan websites and the sister sites have tons of useful information as well

TNT
03-10-2012, 10:25 AM
Thanks for that.
Will check out those websites for more ideas, can pass them on to mum as well. Have mentioned speech therapy in the past to mum and she wasnt keen at all so will see how it goes. Will do some specific observations and show these to mum and pre-school too.

sarah707
03-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Like you are doing, make sure the child is in a language rich environment with good modelled speech and lots of opportunities to communicate.

Beyond that there's little that can be done until parents decide to ask for support.

Hugs x

lin maddox
03-10-2012, 08:06 PM
I would mention it again to the mum stating that you was a teacher i would recomend her if in nursery setting. The longer it isn't addressed the less chance of it being corrected and hold the child back i don't understand why any parent would refuse help? perhaps she feels she asn't done something right or the problem will go away.....maybe they don't realise they is time scale in a childs brain that picks up and learns things as peak areas and if not picked up and corrected at the right time they may fall behind and never catch up with their peers!! that sounds alarming and i'm sure its not the case in all children. Isn't they some information that explains this in a formal but less negative way online? although i feel the mum needs telling straight this may hold your child back if you don't get her checked out and get the help she needs. Surely no parent wants that.:panic: Good luck but i would speak again and say you have made a note of it and recomended it, its in her file. Some point she will be in school surely those will say something too.:)

The Juggler
03-10-2012, 09:21 PM
i would also mention to mum that the free speech therapy referrals end at age 5 - my ds missed out as no-one referred him and I didn't know there was an upper age limit :panic: