PDA

View Full Version : Where do you put bags?! phil and teds

samb
02-10-2012, 08:33 PM
I have been using my phil and teds more recently as I have had trouble with my back and it's lighter than my other buggy. However I am really struggling with where to put bags? On my most busy day I have 1 in the top seat and attach second and put in 4 bags - my 2 children's school bags, my changing bag and a mindees school bag. Then at school pick up I have 2 children in the buggy and can fit anothe mindees bookbag (she has dinners so that's generally all she'll have) then I have been balancing 1 child's bag on the hood and putting 1 on my back. They can't manage to carry their bags all the way as they are too heavy. They have lunch bag, extra drinks bottle, shoes/wellies, bookbag and whatever letters etc. I often get them to carry just their lunch bag to weigh less for me but still have to put everything somewhere. My other buggy has a bigger basket but also it has a hood on bottom seat so the bags hanging on the handlebar would rest on that whereas the p&t would be sitting on bottom child's head! Any ideas?! Shall I buy a buggy pod for the bags?! (I am only joking by the way!)

winstonian
02-10-2012, 08:37 PM
I'm afraid that all my schoolies have to carry their bags! Even nursery guys from age 3. I can fit a few bits on the hood of the Phil and Teds but thats it and as I often have a little one in a sling too I just cant carry them.

nipper
02-10-2012, 08:39 PM
I'm a meanie me and insist all mindees (including my own children) carry their bags and lunch boxes. I hate it when the kids at school run out, throw their bags at whoever collects them and go running off. We have a five minute walk to school/home.

samb
02-10-2012, 08:40 PM
Ah... I may be too soft then - that must be the solution... get tough! :thumbsup:

loocyloo
02-10-2012, 08:44 PM
i'm a meanie too... i make all schoolies carry their own bags, coats, waterbottles etc! amazing creations i leave at school for mum to collect in the morning!

rachelle
02-10-2012, 08:58 PM
I have the attachments on both the bottom and the top so if the doubles seat is on the bottom I can hang bags on the attachment things at the top. I also have a hook on the side (velcros on) which takes a couple of kids backpacks. If I have bookbags on mine then they are done to biggest strap possible and hung over the handle and down below the bottom seat.

My schoolies will carry some of own bits but the reception kids have bookbag, lunchbox, water bottle (letter from school says these are not to be put into book bags as they leak on school books:rolleyes: - school sells the bottles but i'm not getting into it with them!) chatter packs and 250000 'creations' from the day!

Pipsqueak
02-10-2012, 09:03 PM
mine all carry their own bags and creations.

the only time I carry my sons bag on occasion is if i am only collecting him!

blue bear
02-10-2012, 09:09 PM
I couldn't possibly carry 8 children's bags so as soon as they start school they carry their own.

rachelle
02-10-2012, 09:10 PM
I find carrying creations leaves no hands for holding the buggy or older child's (my own!) hands. Everyone has to hold onto buggy or someone older on the walk back, especially whilst we try to get past all the mums parked on the pavement and talking with their car doors open (rant, me? never!)

cathtee
02-10-2012, 09:38 PM
I'm a meanie too, all of mine have to carry theirs to and from school buggy is heavy enough with 2 lo's in without bags too. Makes me smile though as they go out of my front door to go with mom/dad first thing they do is hand over their baggage and parent takes them offf them, I say with a smiel they carry them for me:D

rickysmiths
02-10-2012, 10:22 PM
My schoolies and my own two have always carried their own. Even the 3yrs old in school Nursery. If they can't carry it they shouldn't have it. Simple.

chez
03-10-2012, 06:15 AM
All schoolies and nursery mindees carry there own bags I tell them I'm not a donkey.
Mindees who are older 2 plus have small bakpacks in setting on leaving the house they wear these with a light pac a mac their drink bottle and a snack this was triled and the feedback from the mindees was that they loved it and felt grown up, also as we have 2 minders should we spilt in directions the mindees all have there bits with them, crafts they make if we are at tot group go in here too.

I also have a mummy clip on the handle for bits but this normally holds the fridge to go. I have 2 panniers for the side of the p&t these carry what's left.

zippy
03-10-2012, 08:33 AM
You can get pannier bags so you don't have to carry Nappy bags, I'm looking at getting one for spare clothes and one for nappies makes the buggy wider though :( schoolies have to carry I'm afraid they soon get used to it :)

smurfette
03-10-2012, 09:19 AM
I use a jj cole mode changing bag it has a very long strap and hangs below the second seat in just the right place... You can't really put anything on the hood of the phil and teds it just doesn't sit right and keeps falling off doesn't it?!

jillplum
03-10-2012, 09:26 AM
I must be mean too as everyone has to carry their own bags even nursery ones. Stops them bringing half their house with them if they know they will have to carry it :). Only exception is large musical instruments!

JCrakers
03-10-2012, 10:16 AM
Mine carry their own bags too

Some nights I have a lot of school children so I never carry any. They all learn to carry their own stuff.
The one occasion I do carry is a night my 7yr old mindee has a school bag, a swimming bag and an instrument to carry so I help him out :D

samb
03-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Gosh judging by everyone's responses I think I am underestimating the strength of children! Ok, I will let you know how it goes down lol!

PixiePetal
03-10-2012, 01:40 PM
mine always carried their own bags - I emptied water out of bottles so they were lighter and couldn't leak! and if I had room and feeling kind, might hang book bags on a handle of stroller

One mindee always wanted to bring extra stuff to bring to mine after school - mum said she would have to carry it as I am not a donkey to carry everyones bags :thumbsup:

She was loaded down that day but never again :laughing:

There just isn't room anyway - 6 children with lunch box and book bag each at least. Mums arranged to leave art work etc at school till a day they did a pick up as all part timers. Junk models would never make it home otherwise (and also never got left at mine:thumbsup:)

winstonian
04-10-2012, 09:00 PM
I'm glad everyone else has said the same - I did wonder if I was a meanie after I'd answered!:laughing:

crazyhazy
04-10-2012, 10:43 PM
another meanie reporting for duty, albeit with the shortest school run ever but yep I make them all carry their own bags! When I used the p&t for my own two in the newborn mode I used to have a fab skip hop changing bag which I worked out could attach to the side on the top seat :), in toddlers mode I generally just squish bags into the footwell, my two are short so it was never a problem, new mindees are taller so not as easy!

mrs robbie williams
05-10-2012, 05:47 AM
I find carrying creations leaves no hands for holding the buggy or older child's (my own!) hands. Everyone has to hold onto buggy or someone older on the walk back, especially whilst we try to get past all the mums parked on the pavement and talking with their car doors open (rant, me? never!)

dont get me started :laughing::laughing: trying to negotiate a double side by side buggy with a 5yr old holding on and ds8 in front on his scooter up the narrow path exit, dodging other mums/kids who are sometimes trying to walk down said path from school to find mums blocking the gate talking :rolleyes::rolleyes:

BuggsieMoo
05-10-2012, 06:38 AM
Mine all carry their own besides my DD who has enough issues just trying to stay upright after a day at school (posted previously about her leg conditions) and needs her hands free for falling (she also holds on). I have the hooks that go on the handle bar and I also have the toddler strp that clips up a bit smaller and therefore bags can hang off it x