View Full Version : Unsure about something!!!

02-10-2012, 07:01 PM
Hi Ladies/Gents
My Daughter (19) has a friend with a baby. Today shes asked my Daughter to look after her 2 maybe 3 days a week for about 1.5 hrs (until her Gran gets in from work)
My girl is at Uni but home in time to do this and knows the baby etc.
Prob is she would have to do it at home where obv I would be with cm children.
Im not sure how this would work?? Is it even allowed?

I could in theory take this child on my books but its so ad hoc that if it was a "stranger" asking I would prob say no thanks!
My Daughter is happy to help her friend out but obv doesnt want it to be a prob for me.

02-10-2012, 07:05 PM
Even though she is registered as my assistant I wouldn't let my daughter do it from my premises.

I don't have the space for her to use a different room or want another child here when I am working tbh... there is a potential blurring of responsibility... if the child has an accident on my premises I would be held accountable... my dd even as my assistant doesn't have first aid so can't be on her own with the child... if it goes over 2 hours on my premises it has to be childminding... it would affect my ratios...

Too many pitfalls - i would say it's fine to take it on but offer to do it as babysitting.

hth :D

02-10-2012, 07:22 PM
Thanks Sarah!
My Daughter isnt registered as my assistant or anything (shes at uni doing psychology!) she would purely be helping out her friend.
I think the friend thought she would be ideal as obv my house has obv benefits as far as equipment etc.

I dont want to say I will do it as it takes a place, not guaranteed long term and paperwork!
If its under 2hrs, what would that involve for me (as in if I agreed to do it?)

Sorry, its a queer situation!!

lin maddox
02-10-2012, 08:35 PM
If you took the child on for only a hour i would not think you would have to do much in terms of obs etc as its such a short time i think perhaps a little photo album would be nice though. As for your daughter looking after the child in your house while you are working erm bit tricky i would ask ofsted myself as not sure about this. Its legal as its under two hours and i assume no payment but you need to make sure your insurance etc is still valid. Worth asking as you never know if a accident accured between two children a mindee and this other child this would need to be recorded your insurance covers your mindees? :rolleyes:

02-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Having looked into the 2hr thing Im wondering if I can do it anyhow as Im not sure its classed a childminding??
Criteria seems to be in your own home for more than 2hrs.
I might give Ofsted a call and check whats required!

The Juggler
02-10-2012, 09:12 PM
can't she do it at the child's home and do it as baby sitting?