PDA

View Full Version : Sad 9yr old

melco
02-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Hi

I have a brother and sister who I have after school. The girl is not well but their mum has asked me to still have the 9yr old boy today. Basically he is really upset that his mum his home with his sister and he wants to go home.

I have tried to comfort him and explained that his mum does not want to bring out his sister to get him from school if unwell but he is really upset and wants me to text him mum to come and get him. I have told him I have already text his mum to check she still wanted me to pick him up and she said yes but he is in mood about it.

Any ideas how to handle this?

Thanks

melco

Pipsqueak
02-10-2012, 04:24 PM
Its understandable of course, however at 9yr old he is old enough t ounderstand that his sister is poorly and his mum didn't want to drag his sister out, make her worse and spread the germs about.
At 9 he is old enough to start understanding the world is not just about him!

gosh I am on a harsh one today....

how to handle it - sounds like you have done good already (I wouldn't have offered to text mum though to collect him).
tbh I would get on with my 'normal' day and let him get over it

sarah707
02-10-2012, 05:00 PM
Most 9 year olds like Pip says should be able to manage with their emotions and move on... some are really sensitive and take a little stroking.

Only you know your child. I hope he brightened up a bit! xx