2 (14.5 oz ) cans fat free chicken broth

6 (about 10 oz each) baking potatoes, BAKED

1 cup fat free milk

1 /2 cup fat free sour cream

1 /4 tsp. Salt or to taste

1/8 tsp. Black pepper

Real Bacon Bits, to taste (optional)

Shredded Cheese, to taste (optional)

Melt the butter over medium heat in a 4 1 /2 quart dutch oven or soup pot. Add chopped onion. Raise the heat to medium high and cook for 2 minutes until the onion begins to soften. Meanwhile, cut the baked potatoes in half. Add the broth to the soup pot, raise the heat to high and bring it to a boil. When the soup boils, reduce the heat to medium. Meanwhile, scoop the insides of the baked potatoes within 1 /4 inch of the sides into a 2 quart or larger bowl. (You will have about 3 cups of potato.) Reserve the skins for another use. Using 2 knives, cut the potatoes into bite sized pieces. Add the potato to the pot. Add the milk and sour cream. Stir well. Do not let the soup boil once the milk is added. Reduce the heat if necessary. Add the salt and pepper. Cook 3 to 5 minutes more or until heated through. Serve at once. Garnish with optional bacon bits and cheese, if desired.

Serves 4

Per serving (WITHOUT bacon bits or cheese):

Cal 219 Fat 7g Sat fat 5g Chol 25g Prot 11g Carb 27g Fiber 2g *** 385mg

.................................................. .................................................. ...

Barley Soup

4.5 Points Per Serving

1 pound asparagus stalks (not tips)

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 leeks, white parts plus an inch of green, well rinsed and cut into thin half-moon slices

1 cup diced carrots

8 cups chicken broth

1 cup barley

1 medium zucchini, diced

1 1/2 cups chopped Swiss chard or any dark leafy green of your choice

1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves

1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Peel the asparagus stalks with a vegetable peeler to remove their tough fibrous skin. Cut the cleaned stalks into 1/2-inch pieces.

Heat the olive oil in a medium soup pot. Over medium-low heat, cook the asparagus, leeks, and carrots, without browning, for about 7 to 10 minutes.

Pour in 6 cups of the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add the barley and simmer for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until the grain is tender. When ready to serve, add the remaining chicken broth, bring to a simmer and add the zucchini, Swiss chard, and parsley, and simmer for 4 or 5 minutes, until the zucchini is cooked through. Serve in warm bowls with the cheese sprinkled on top.

Makes 6 servings

Facts per Serving Calories: 265 Fat: 7g Carbohydrates: 34g Cholesterol: 4mg Sodium: 370mg Protein: 17g Fiber: 9g % Cal. from Fat: 24% % Cal.

.................................................. .................................................. ..

Beef Stew

5 Points Per Serving

2 teaspoons olive oil

1 pound chuck steak, cut into 1 inch pieces

1 onion, chopped

3/4 cups celery, chopped

3/4 pound potatoes, peeled and cut into small dice

6 carrots, sliced

10 whole mushrooms, sliced

1 pound canned peeled tomatoes, chopped

1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons beef stock

1 garlic cloves, minced

3/4 teaspoon rosemary

10 ounces green beans

1 tablespoon flour

2 tablespoons cold water

Directions: Heat oil in a nonstick skillet at medium-high heat and saute meat for 3-4 minutes. Set aside. Combine next 5 ingredients in same skillet and saute for 5 minutes. Add meat and next 5 ingredients to skillet and bring to a boil. Combine flour and water in a container with a lid and shake to mix well. Wisk into stew and simmer about 10 minutes or until stew has thickened.

Nutritional Information:

Makes: 8 servings

Serving Size: 1 cup

Calories: 280 Fat: 8 g Cholesterol: 60 mg Protein: 25 g Carbohydrates: 30 g Fiber: 6 g Sodium: 340 mg

.................................................. .................................................. .

Cream of Vegetable Soup

1/2 Point Per Serving

2/3 cup sliced carrot

1/2 cup diced onion

2 cloves garlic -- minced

3 cups fat-free chicken broth -- or vegetable broth

2 cups cabbage -- green, shredded

1/2 cup green beans -- frozen

1 tablespoon tomato paste

1/2 teaspoon dried basil

1/4 teaspoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning

1/4 teaspoon salt -- optional

1/2 cup zucchini -- diced

1/2 cup evaporated skim milk

Spray a Dutch oven with cooking spray (like PAM), saut'e carrots, onion and garlic over low heat until softened, about 5 minutes. (If you find it is scorching add some of the broth.) Add broth, cabbage, beans, tomato paste, basil, oregano, Old Bay and salt if using; bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer, covered about 15 minutes or until the beans are tender. Stir in zucchini and cook another 3 or 4 minutes. After the vegetables are cooked puree, return to pan add the skim milk and heat to just below boiling. DO NOT ALLOW TO COME TO BOIL. Serve immediately

Makes 4, 1 cup servings.

Per serving WW Points: 0.5 Calories...75....Fat...0.3 g...Carbs...13.4 g, Sodium...605mg...Fiber...2.6 g.

.................................................. .................................................. ..

Crockpot Veggie Soup

0 Points Per Serving

1 14.5-oz can canned cut tomatoes with onion and garlic

1 14.5-oz can 99% Fat Free Vegetable Broth

2 1/2 cups fatfree chicken broth

5 cups V-8 vegetable juice -- high calcium kind preferred

1 pound frozen carrot slices

1 10-oz package sliced mushrooms

1 medium yellow squash -- sliced

1/4 cup peppers -- frozen, assorted

black pepper -- to taste (1/2 tsp?)

kosher salt -- to taste (1/2 tsp?)

2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves

1 teaspoon dried basil -- to taste (or 1T fresh)

Put all ingredients into crockpot and set on high. (I use a 4 1/2 quart Rival Oval Crockpot). Cook as long as desired (until veggies are as soft as you like). You can cook this on "low" power all day. I like to start it on "high" to get it up to temp.

*faster Puree half of veggies in small batches in the blender or use a hand-blender right in the turned off crock pot.

Freeze in plastic containers in desired quantities. Thaw and reheat in microwave or stove top.

Since this recipe filled my 4 1/2 qt crockpot, I estimate that this will make about 12 (1 1/2 cup) servings

Yield: "4 1/2 quarts"

Per serving: 62 Calories (kcal); trace Total Fat; (6% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 781mg Sodium

Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

.................................................. .................................................. .

Diabetic, Low-Fat Lemon Chicken Soup

3.5 Points Per Serving

4 skinless chicken breasts

7 cups chicken broth

1 lemon, juice and grated rind

1 large yellow onion, chopped

2 garlic cloves, pressed

2 cups frozen corn

2 large tomatoes, chopped

1/2 cup chopped green onions

1/4 cup fresh cilantro, de-stemmed (or to taste)

1 bay leaf

1/8 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon pepper

Place chicken in pot with bay leaf and cover with cold water. Bring to boil and simmer 30 minutes. Remove chicken and chop when cool. Bring chicken broth to a simmer, add chicken pieces, lemon juice and grated rind. Add chopped yellow onion and garlic; cook 5 minutes. Add corn, tomatos, green onion and cilantro. Simmer 15-20 minutes; skim any fat. Taste and correct seasonings.

Makes 6 servings.

Calories...179...Fat...1.4 g...Carbs...19.5 g...Sodium...443 mg...Fiber...3 g.

Exchanges: 1 Bread/Starch, 1 Vegetable, 4 Meat - Very Lean

The BEST creamy potato soup

1 Point per serving*

2 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks (6 points)

6 cups of ff chicken or veggie stock (0 points)

1/2 cup ff half-and-half (1 point) OR 1/2 cup skim milk and 1/4 cup ff sour cream (2 points)

1/2 cup chopped onion (0 points)

optional spices:

salt

pepper

thyme

majoram basil

This recipe is EASY!

Bring 6 cups of stock to a boil. Add the chopped onion and potato. Lower the heat. Add spices (I perfer a generous amount of ALL the spices I listed, including salt...sorry!). Let the soup simmer (uncovered) until potatoes are tender - about 20 min. Turn off heat. Spoon 1/2 the mixture into a blender (about half the potatoes and stock.) Puree until liquified. Return the "creamy" soup to the pot with the remaining stock, onion and potato chunks. Stir until it's thouroughly integrated. Add the ff creamer OR milk and sour cream. Stir. SERVE!!!

miffy
01-01-2008, 10:47 PM
Thanks Angel all of these sound yummy

Miffy xx

sarah707
02-01-2008, 10:12 AM
They look great Angel - thanks!

I am very surprised at the top one though for suggesting butter. It's a saturated fat and not very good for you at all. And a tablespoon is a lot!

I was advised by a dietician a while ago not to include butter, marge or any fat in any cooking. She said you could use water instead... it takes some re-training from what you are used to doing, but you don't notice the difference in taste.

Off to buy veg to get soup making later :jump for joy:

angeldelight
02-01-2008, 12:08 PM
I got the soups from weight watchers so unsure about the butter

A little of what you fancy never did anyone any harm though and I NEVER EVER cut out everything because then I get grumpy and feel very hard done by - so I always eat fairly normal when I diet - but cut down a lot

Angel xx

Tily Bud
02-01-2008, 08:47 PM
I agree with you Angel that is what i intend to do x Cut down on all the c**p, have 3 healthy meals a day, up the water intake and step up the exercise x

Cheryl x

ps. I did make some nice soup earlier on today that I used to make a lot when i was doing weightwatchers no count a while ago.

Cauliclower & cheese soup : Frozen cauliflower, chicken stock, pepper, laughing cow light triangles.

cook cauli in chicken stock, drain a little but keep some of the fluid, blitz in a foodprocessor with approx 4 triangle and a little milk, season to taste. Lovely x

buildingblocks
10-01-2008, 10:08 PM
A nice soup I love when doing SW is butternut squash and red pepper soup. Can't rememebr it off hand but I now put in

1 butternut squash
2 red peppers
garlic
onion, chopped
chicken stock cube
water cover

bring to boil simmer 20 mins blitz till smooth

scrummy

angeldelight
10-01-2008, 10:21 PM
Thanks for that Kate

Angel xx

Minnie Minx
10-01-2008, 10:31 PM
please don't cut out fat, we all need it to survive, when i went to the eda (eating disorders assocation) i was told that you have to have a bit of everything to remain healthy. Something i still do, i won't give up butter, i have it on toast or in a sandwich, same as sugar but it's now from fruit, as long as you don't over indulge it won't harm your diet.

xxx