PDA

View Full Version : Hand foot and mouth

saintsue
02-10-2012, 08:13 AM
Morning Everyone
I had a child with hand foot and mouth last week so was off for a week, Last night another mum phoned to say she thinks her 12 month old has it, she said she had phone NHS Helpline and they said he was ok to come to me but i dont think thats right, i have looked online and it says keep away from other children for 7 days.
what do you all think?
what would you do/
love sue xxx

Jods
02-10-2012, 08:23 AM
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Hand-foot-and-mouth-disease/Pages/Introduction.aspx

I always use this as my guidance
http://www.hpa.org.uk/webc/HPAwebFile/HPAweb_C/1194947358374
however if a child is really unhappy and needs mum, then they stay at home x hth x

moogster1a
02-10-2012, 08:24 AM
if your other children are school age or above there's no need to exclude; under 5's need to be kept apart for 7 days or until they have scabbed over.
It can be passed back and forth in a seemingly never ending cycle ( speaking from experience as all 3 lo's had it at least twice a month or so ago)
The spots can clear up, then they get reinfected by soemone else who has it.

saintsue
02-10-2012, 08:28 AM
yeh they are all 3 and under.

Mum just phone saying he only has a few spots on his hands can he come tomorrow
Sue xxx

Tealady
02-10-2012, 10:36 AM
I would say no. He may have it mildly but if he passes it on to another child they may not be so lucky and it can be horrible.

02-10-2012, 11:38 AM
I agree with Tealady as I have seen a really nasty case of Hand Foot and Mouth before.....it was awful and the LO was in agony :(. I recently had a suspected case and chose to exclude until well

saintsue
02-10-2012, 12:03 PM
Thank you everyone for your advice
love sue xxxx

Jo Jo
02-10-2012, 05:24 PM
I also have a little one with hand foot and mouth ! Thanks for the advice ladies :)
I suppose it's doing its rounds !!

WibbleWobble
02-10-2012, 06:56 PM
i had hand foot and mouth a couple of months ago.....apparently it is rare in adults.

It was orrid!

i felt like:censored: in a big way.....my mouth was so painful and it felt so ill.

i feel sorry for the LOs who have it...

wibble xxx

dawn100
02-10-2012, 07:18 PM
It can affect children differently, my ds had it last year only a few spots on his hands however when he then so kindly passed it onto his younger sister she had more ulcers in her mouth than you would think possible, her mouth and tongue was more white than pink! And as a result she barely drunk or ate for quite a few days almost a week and as a result lost quite a bit of weight and was on the verge of dehydration!

So if u have young children in your care I would exclude.