PDA

View Full Version : Obs..how often?

lucyD
01-10-2012, 09:01 PM
How often would you write an obs for a 6 month old. I have done a starting points one & she has now been with me for 2 weeks. Should I do another to show I have done the next steps or leave it a few weeks. Not sure what Ofsted are after as I am new to childminding. Any advice welcome?
Do you always use the same format i.e just writing what they do etc or do you use different ways time sampling etc. I plan to use photos too but not got any printed yet

Thanks, sorry to sound dumb but just want to get it right as no doubt my first ofsted visit will be in a few months so want to be on track

Tealady
01-10-2012, 09:09 PM
Please bear in mind that I am only Satisfactory... EYFS was only in a month when I got graded... but my DO was impressed with how I now do my Learning Journals.

Obs need to be relevent. You have starting points and have your next steps. When you see LO reach the next stage or practising a new skill, or showing an interest in something new then do an ob so you can see where they are, set next steps, plan your activities and suggest a few things for parents to do at home.

Don't do obs for the sake of them or just because you haven't done one for a while. They will be meaningless and therefore a waste of time. Sometimes children plateau so as long as you are following their interests and giving them the chance to learn/develop and Ofsted can see that, the frequency/volume of Obs are neither here nor there.

Ripeberry
01-10-2012, 10:02 PM
Please bear in mind that I am only Satisfactory... EYFS was only in a month when I got graded... but my DO was impressed with how I now do my Learning Journals.

Obs need to be relevent. You have starting points and have your next steps. When you see LO reach the next stage or practising a new skill, or showing an interest in something new then do an ob so you can see where they are, set next steps, plan your activities and suggest a few things for parents to do at home.

Don't do obs for the sake of them or just because you haven't done one for a while. They will be meaningless and therefore a waste of time. Sometimes children plateau so as long as you are following their interests and giving them the chance to learn/develop and Ofsted can see that, the frequency/volume of Obs are neither here nor there.

You've got it. Always quality of observation rather than quantity :thumbsup: