PDA

View Full Version : Xmas and birthday pressies

JCrakers
01-10-2012, 07:22 AM
When I first started minding I used to spend about £5 per child for Xmas and birthdays because I only had 3 mindees.
But now I have 16 mindees and if I spent £5 on each then that would be £160 on Xmas/birthday presents. (5 for xmas 5 for birthdays) And I used to get Easter eggs too.
I have quite a big family to buy for at Xmas and can't really afford to pay £80.
I was thinking of just buying cards this year :blush: what does everyone do?

loocyloo
01-10-2012, 07:27 AM
i have alot of family to buy for too.

for christmas i just get something little ... maybe some books from the works, usually 4 for £5, or a set from book people and split it. one year i bought a load of selection boxes on offer ( think they should have been £2 and they were 50p or something! ) and gave those.

for birthdays i spend a little more, but still usually around the £5, sort of depends how long the child has been with me or how often i see them!

i buy things all year round when i see them on offer and usually have a stack to choose from.

i have just bought a load of solar powered kits from ebay (£2.79 including postage ) for all my 7yr + mindees plus friends children!

Dragonfly
01-10-2012, 07:32 AM
You don't have to spend £5.00. What about a token gift like a selection box? You don't have to give anything if you do not want to but my children seem to expect a gift.I am cutting back this year so will be looking for special offer gifts. books, art and craft etc.
I stopped given easter eggs a couple of years ago as we make and cook chocolate things.
Do what you want to.You could always make something for them?

kindredspirits
01-10-2012, 07:32 AM
I have this problem this year too. Loads of part timers, most of them don't earn me enough to warrant spending more than £1 on tbh. I will get them all something very small, can usually pickup some cheap sale bits.

Monkey26
01-10-2012, 07:41 AM
I used to spend £5 per child at Christmas as well but like you now have lots of mindees, 13 in fact if you include the schoolies. This year I have ordered personalised pencils from 24studio for just £1.59 per pack. I posted a thread about it last night :)

Birthdays, like others have said it depends on how often i see the child as to whether they get a present and card or just a card - sounds harsh but the mindees i have everyday buy me lovely gifts on my own birthday and christmas, others I don't see often and some of the parents don't remember to wish me well or even say good morning some days!! It's not the child's fault but hey you got to draw a line somewhere I guess.

I have never done Easter, Valentines or Halloween as we often do themed baking so they go home with those! :) xx

BucksCM
01-10-2012, 08:13 AM
For the last few years I've made advent calendars for all my mindees. And we have a book place near us that has sale weekends...80% off the price, so i go there and stock up when I can.

Dragonfly
01-10-2012, 12:17 PM
making advent calendars sounds really good :thumbsup: any tips would be good how to do them.

ChocolateChip
01-10-2012, 12:30 PM
For Christmas I tend to do an order from the Book People, you can get lovely single books for a couple of pounds or sometimes sets that work out less than £1 per book.

For birthdays I spend a little bit more, around £3-4 if I can get away with it, but I will keep my eyes open in the sales etc. for a bargain and pick up bits throughout the year, if nothing else a selection of cheap colouring/ craft items usually go down well.

At Easter they get a £1 egg and I don't do gifts for anything else apart from when they leave. Although they will all make a mother's/ father's day gift and a little something for parents at Christmas.

SandCastles
01-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Xmas is sorted by giving Cadbury selection boxes for everyone (even under 1's) and toys from home bargains/poundshop for lo birthdays.
I buy throughout the year without anyone in mind, as my ds gets lots of party invites from his class mates, so always need birthday cards and pressies in. Craft kits from the range this year have been a huge hit.

TooEarlyForGin?
01-10-2012, 07:08 PM
Definitely in the same boat, I have just added up all of my kids, part-timers/after school kids and ones that join their siblings in the holidays, I've got up to 15.

Something has to give, I'm shopping around for deals on line at the moment.

Good luck everyone.

PixiePetal
01-10-2012, 07:43 PM
I am so glad I only have 4 mindees and no schoolies :thumbsup::D

I use the Book people too, don't buy selection packs but children might make a christmas item which will hold a couple of chocs - nice to make a craft item too

I have sibling mindees whose birthdays are end of Dec and beginning of Jan - talk about bad planning :rolleyes: I am buying books for Christmas and something else for birthday - combined spend of under £10/child

Joda
01-10-2012, 07:45 PM
I shop throughout the year too. I've just bought some books from Red House that worked out quite cheap. I bought some jigsaws in the January sales and also some cookie cutters and childrens aprons that were half price and are really nice. It also depends on the family too - some are lovely and buy for me or my children but I've also had a couple of families over the years who haven't even wished me Happy Birthday/Christmas!

Babycat
01-10-2012, 10:03 PM
Just about to respond sort of different! I want to spoil my kiddies when I get the chance lol Got them clothes for their holidays, birthday gifts, and now cmas gifts!! Usually go around £10-15 but we can claim this back, yes? so why not just do this and get taxed less for being generous lol! but I only have 5 mindees lol x