PDA

View Full Version : Do you drive or not?

handeme
28-09-2012, 07:17 PM
I am thinking if getting a new car, ideally an S Max but they are expensive.

How many of you childminding and don't drive?

We could probably get a new car half the price of a new s max and I am not wanting the childminding for many more years
X

caz3007
28-09-2012, 07:24 PM
I dont drive and I manage ok.

Mind you hubby does have a Galaxy just in case but he works and we only go out in the car occasionally

rachelle
28-09-2012, 07:26 PM
I dont drive. We live 5 minutes from the village train station and equal distance from the bus stop - never been a problem :)

bunyip
28-09-2012, 07:31 PM
I don't drive. We get around fine on foot and buses. Some parents have commented how nice it is that the lo's get to see the countryside at a slow pace. It also means I get the exercise which helps my back, asthma (and Mrs Bunyip says "don't forget to mention the big belly" :p).

Yes, it does mean we can't get to some places but, frankly, we're not short of opportunities and things to do.
:)

samb
28-09-2012, 07:32 PM
I drive but for the first year of minding I didn't use my car. When I got busier I decided to start using my car so we weren't as restricted with funny collection times etc. Then as I got busier still I bought a 7 seater so I could be flexible with times when I had more children in the holidays. It was more for my children as I didn't want them to miss out on going to places becuase of my work and I am really pleased I did it. Term time I only use my car once a week to go to a toddler group in the next town but I could go by train or bus so wouldn't be a big deal to not have the car. In the holidays though I just need it for my sanity! lol

kellib
28-09-2012, 08:02 PM
I don't drive, yet. I've been learning for the past 6 months so hopefully be able to drive before the end of the year.

I've been childminding for over a year without being able to drive and it's not restricted me in any way, we walk most places or we get the bus which the kids love because they are so used to being in parents cars.

I'm learning to drive mostly to ferry my own son around but it will come in handy for work too.

handeme
28-09-2012, 08:08 PM
I am very close to the bus route and the train station is ten mins away.

During term time it really wouldn't bother me but school holidays I wouldn't want my children to miss out but I am planning to take my holiday entitlement in the school holidays next year.

My hubby says our house has been taken over by other peoples children so why can't we have something for us x

PixiePetal
28-09-2012, 08:31 PM
I don't drive and live in the middle of nowhere! Use village bus to get to town and then bus/train to anywhere.

Don't do school runs, make the most of my surroundings on the farm :thumbsup:

nipper
28-09-2012, 11:26 PM
I didn't drive for the first eight months of childminding, then we got a seven seater and I've probably used it about four times in as many months. DH has a motorbike but come winter, he'll be using the car to go to work. I actually can't say I rely on the car; it's a different pace of life (much slower) without it and I really like that. Like previous posters have said, all of my mindees get put in the car and driven to me, so it's nice for them to walk and notice the world around them for a change. They have just re-routed the bus into our village and we have a bus stop right outside my house so when we walk to school and see the bus, all the littlies shout 'bus, bus' which is quite cute as well!

Bear23
29-09-2012, 07:48 AM
i do drive but never have with the children.

in this day and age most children get ferried about in cars, so i think its nice for them to walk with me. when some of them started it took a while but they soon get used to it xx

Jods
29-09-2012, 07:54 AM
I drive, I own a 7 seater 4x4 - but this was purchased for towing horses and giving us enough car space to go to the local shows.

I do all 3, walk, public transport and drive in my car. The schools are a 20 min walk up the hill so they are 90% done on foot, as when we might nip to the cornershop for an adhoc lunch however its also so nice to have the freedom to grab that sunny day and pop to our local nature reserve or even further go to the seaside x

watgem
29-09-2012, 09:43 AM
I don't drive, sometimes I feel we miss out, but some days with my own children there would too many children to fit in our car anyway. as all of my mindees are part time I try not to worry too much because they will be going out to play centres etc with their families

zillervalley
29-09-2012, 10:03 AM
No I dont drive, rely on dh for transport, although I walk a lot abd bus
ziller

Roseolivia
29-09-2012, 11:13 AM
I drive but we live in a small village which only has a bus on 3days. To walk into our local town it would take an hr with children and there's no paths so couldn't use a buggy. We don't have anything in our village for children apart from a small playground so to get to local groups etc i need to drive into town.

jillplum
29-09-2012, 11:22 AM
I have been childminding for over 12 years and do drive but hardly ever use the car. we walk to schools, nursery, playgroups, shops and library etc. Only use car maybe once every three months for a network meeting. When my kids were younger I looked at getting a people carrier but with numbers of minds I have after school etc I would need a mini bus! No I think we will just keep walking:)

Cammie Doodle
29-09-2012, 12:12 PM
No I dont drive and started minding in 94 ,live in the middle of nowhere .Its really only caused a problem since the school bus was cancelled. I now no longer have Schoolies :D

KarenM
29-09-2012, 01:55 PM
I don't drive, and I refuse to learn lol. The children are all used to walking in all weathers, and my own daughter is used to walking, but is now nagging to go on the back of my motorbike.

mushpea
29-09-2012, 03:09 PM
I do drive but dont really use the car that much other than school holidays and even then there are plenty of places we could walk to and we are close to the bus and trains and town. My partner is going to be driving to work as of next week after years of using the trains, we did discuss getting a 2nd car but for the amount of time I use it it just isnt worth it.
Hopefully me not having the car will be my kick up the bum to loose weight lol

nikki thomson
29-09-2012, 03:48 PM
I do drive, I love driving and I have to drive every day as the children's school is in the next village but that aside I'd still drive every day, the places I take the children to especially in the holidays you just could not do without a car tbh, a lot are not on bus routes and even if they were a 1 -
And a half hr car journey to the beach would involve 3 changes and take 4 hrs to get there just not practical and the forest we go to and the country parks we go to it would just be a logistical nightmare without a car.
I have been driving for 16 yrs and havn't been on a bus since then and my children have never been on public transport, it would be different if we lived in a big city but here I just couldn't image not being able to just jump in the car and go.

janminder
30-09-2012, 03:15 PM
I don't drive but am lucky to be near good transport links and the school run is about 10/15 minutes through either park or along road. Not really found it a problem, rain doesnt bother me much and luckily the children rarely comment about having to walk.

Velleity
30-09-2012, 03:50 PM
I don't drive, although I live in North London and the transport links are pretty good. I do sometimes wish I did drive as it makes getting to certain places within time constraints difficult, but we manage fine and it's a good exercise for sure :)

jackie 7
30-09-2012, 04:18 PM
I drive but when in london it was too expensive to have a cae. Now I am looking at lease hire, the one you return the car after 3 years. My accountant said that depending on the amount of personal use I could claim up to 90% of hire from taxes. as i only dont do school pick ups I am looking at a vw polo bluemotion or similar. I am fed up taking shopping home in a taxi, not being able to go to childminder groups etc.

VeggieSausage
30-09-2012, 07:43 PM
i drive, whip around everywhere to groups and outings, walk on school run, local parks etc .....would hate not to have access to a car, means i can keep me entertained on lots of interesting trips :)

crazyhazy
30-09-2012, 09:20 PM
I don't drive but do live next door to the preschool & school, I only do drop offs/pick ups from there, I'm also on a bus route into town which is only a few mins trip, then there is trains from there into glasgow. Rather handily my mum does have a zafira and a good selection of car seats so will give me lifts if necessary too.

ChocolateChip
01-10-2012, 12:59 PM
I would happily not drive if we had decent public transport, but am in a rural location and the buses are shocking! Would have to change three times to get to some of the places we visit in the hols, and by the time we got there we'd only have an hour before catching it back again!
So I drive a Kia Sedona 7 seater, have found it very economical to buy and run, would recommend one to anyone!