PDA

View Full Version : No one wants me - Sorry huge moan/winge!

littlewonders
18-06-2008, 09:34 AM
Sorry, I haven't been on for a while but due to being in hospital (asthma) and being a bit low with the business didn't want to come on here to winge and to be honest thought if I just 'forgot' about childminding for a few days it might pick up...anyway.....

Firsty, I had an enquiry back in may, mum wanted weekend care for 2 which would bring a nice amount for me so said I could do it, gave her my talk and she stayed for about an hour. I found her slightly strange - Just hard to get conversation out of. Now the children had been to 3 different childminders and had to end with each one because the cm's weren't happy doing the weekend care. So she said she will let me know...I waited until this morning and thought right I need to know now. So I phone her she gave loads of excuses why she hadn't phoned then said she may need me in 6 months but ok until then as her aunty is coming to look after the kids. So fair enough, but I am now back to square one with hardly any money coming in!

I have two actually on my books at the moment. One has been with me since I pretty much started and attends pre-school mon - fri so he is a before and after school. But what happens with him in september I dont know as he is attending a school in a different area..
My other one is a part timer nearly 2yo and that is going fine.

I have had an intrest for before and school starting september but not sure if they still want me as nursery directly across the road has decided to start doing before and after school club just for the same school I pick up from :angry: EVEN though they have been telling parents no way would they do it for 5 years :angry:

However I have had another enquiry this morning thorugh my website but think that is another part timer, I have told her I will phone at 1:30pm.

I just wish I could get a decent full timer :( Just one, Im not being greedy lol.

Anyway I am really sorry for moaning Im just totally fed up at the moment, I haven't even being doing it a month yet but just think I was expecting to much to soon. Especially as I have seen people on here a lot worse off than me thanks for listening to me moan.

Sam xx

yummymummy
18-06-2008, 09:53 AM
Poor you Sammie, it is so easy to feel down over lack of mindees. When I started out things were so much easier than they are now. There are so many day nurseries and wraparound care these days and I think parents almost forget about childminders unless they want odd hours or awkward times covered. I think as well by reading other girls comments on here it really depends on the area you live. I live in a London suburb so you would think I'd be inundated with work but due to the reasons I've given above things are really tight.
Things will pick up for you, it may take a while but they will. I have been through this so many times and have sometimes been on the point of giving it all up and looking for a job when a new minded family comes along.
Give it time and it will all work out for you.:)

angeldelight
18-06-2008, 09:56 AM
Hi Sam

Sorry to hear you have been poorly and hope you are feeling better now

Nice to see you back

I really do think it is early days yet so dont give up hope - these things take a while to get going

Shame that one parent is messing you about

I wouldnt just focus on getting full timers sometimes its easier to take on part timers and make your money up that way

Let us know what happens when you call that parent later today

Good luck

Angel xx

katickles
18-06-2008, 10:12 AM
Sammie i'm sending you loads of luck for your phone to ring off the hook with enquiries!

I really hope you get something soon.

I think theres alot of us at the mo struggling & getting no calls so don't take it personally - chin up :)

sarah707
18-06-2008, 10:14 AM
I really feel for you.

I hope your health starts to pick up now and you are on the right side of the disappointments xx

Jinx
18-06-2008, 11:26 AM
I too feel for you.

Full timers are good money, BUT generally it is safer to have part timers. (all your eggs in one basket etc!)

I hope the call later brings you good news. :thumbsup:

Fingers crossed for you.

Jinx x

charleyfarley
18-06-2008, 12:11 PM
I should think most us have been in the same position at some time or another. I was down to one part timer for about a year and seriously thought about looking for other work. Then the phone calls came, some didn't want me :angry: , some I wasn't able to do and some I didn't want...
I now have a full timer as well as 2 part timers and have another full timer starting Sept.
Things will improve for you I'm sure. Are you still advertising as much as you can? I try to tell everyone I meet I childmind as you never know who may need one

Good luck with the phone calls, hope the phone starts ringing soon

Hope you're feeling better now too

Carol xx

christine e
18-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Hi
I've been minding for 18 years. During the first 15 years I always had full timers but now all my little ones are part timers, I have 3 older children who all come every day before and after school but one of them will be leaving soon. I think more mums now work part time than they did in the past. Job shares were virtually unheard of when I started out but are common place now. I think it is a sign of the times.

Christine

littlewonders
18-06-2008, 01:54 PM
Thank you so much everyone for all the replies and advice.

I really was unsure about posting a moan thread but just wanted to get it off my chest to people who would understand what I am going through. I must say I am so glad I posted now as you have made me feel so much better.

I phoned the lady who'd sent an email through my website and she was impressed with what she heard so would like to come and visit next week :) and also the child will be near enough a full timer :)

I am feeling much better now, thank you for the concern :blush: I am on steriods, antibiotics and god knows what else feeling much more energetic today. Going to have a good browse through the board letter this evening with a brew and see what I have missed! Thanks again everyone! xxx

chez1373
18-06-2008, 03:22 PM
So pleased the phone call worked out luv,
XXX

Donkey
18-06-2008, 07:32 PM
glad to hear your feeling better, good luck with the meeting :)

Blaze
18-06-2008, 07:39 PM
Hope things work out with your enquirey....please don't worry about having a maon...we all do it!:)

littlewonders
19-06-2008, 01:34 PM
Thanks all will let you know how the meeting goes, fingers crossed for a week today :) xx

disney
19-06-2008, 02:02 PM
hope things get better for you soon and im sorry you have been so poorly take care i will be thinking of you

brillminder
19-06-2008, 04:01 PM
sorry to hear about your lack of children check out the bags i am selling on for sale the latest design being an advert bag, get some printed card or make some your self and post around too :)