PDA

View Full Version : After school kids

Annelize
28-09-2012, 01:41 PM
I lovely childminders, activity question - How do you keep your afterschoolies busy? Mine seems to get bored with most things very easily. Most things only keeps them busy and entertained for 10-20 minutes if that. What sort of toys/resources do you have for them? They are ages 5 - 9 years and both boys and girls.
Another thing they seem to just want to do pretend fighting ie kicking, hitting etc. I know this is just what specially boys do at school age (however the girls are just as much into it) and talking about killing, beheading (this they are learning about at school), poo, farting you know the usual gross things etc. Again I know its all normal for this age but how do you deal with it as I do not really want any of this. I just think for say for example a 2 year old its hard to understand they are not really hitting and only pretending etc

Thanks in advance
Annelize

suzyblue
28-09-2012, 03:36 PM
I find lego works wonders and so does the computer and ipad. My lot start rough play if they are not focused so I always make sure they have something to do. The computer and ipad has games on for them that keep them occupied for ages. One boy bought his own game and downloaded it onto my computer. The ipad had loads of apps for the kids too. We sometimes have a movie night and this keeps them occupied too especially if they are eating popcorn!
They also have big blocks in the garden and will spend quite a bit of time out there making things. We also have a box full of sheets, rope, pegs etc for camp building. I find that they tend to stick with one or two different resources for quite a long time before they get bored and move onto something else so dont worry that the same thing is out each day, they do like to continue their play the next day.
PS i also bought a range of different sand timers for taking turns. Five minutes for the younger children ranging up to 30 minutes for the older ones.

silvermist
28-09-2012, 03:43 PM
Hiya, I have schoolies ranging from age 4 to 11, boys and girls. I always offer them a craft activity of some description which they usually take me up on. They like lego, painting, watching tv, drawing, playdough, playing with outdoor equipment etc..I do feel quite lucky as they are easily pleased really :)xx

jaswinder bedi
28-09-2012, 03:49 PM
I dont have any after school right now i use to have housefull once upon a time....... With my own kids growing up i have kept it free its so fab.......So there you go, Ask them what they would like to play, go for little walk before you get home and prepare some tea time or ask them to help you, garden depends on the weather, books, lego, colouring, bring thier own favouriate games from home compact size:D. Role play... These usually worked very well they can get boared i suppose its wind down time from school if they wish to watch telivision or any specific DVD you can pick a day for them.... Hope this not not too much and will help you with the ideas.:thumbsup:

Jas
:laughing:

tialil
28-09-2012, 04:58 PM
I have just after schoolers and I know it can be really hard with some of them. Was close to giving up a while back but got some new ones and they are (and mum) angels:littleangel: :D

I offer a craft - does not have to be a theme, sometimes a bit of junk modelling or just fill the table up with paper, scissors, glue etc so they can make cards or sometimes they even make their own board game and then play it.
Painting, drawing and also they have some little scrapbooks for writing in.
I am lucky as I am very crafty so there is plenty to do. If they come to me with an idea ,I will do my best to try to help them make it.

We also have the usual chess,draughts, top trumps,bingo, various board games and cards. Lego and hama beads are a big hit.

We have a wii but from September I have only let them use it once a week, yep I am a meanie :rolleyes: but it has been know to cause more arguments than its worth last term because 1 of the children (have left now ..phew!!!) would get quite wound up.

Some times we put on a dvd, not often though because they all go at different times they dont always get to finish watching it.

I also have a selection of books suitable for this age group so some will just grab a book and curl up on sette.

As for the play fighting I have had this with some in the past and its a big no no , I wont tolerate it and they are told so. Also I lay down the boundries and they know if they cross them.I always explain why its not exceptiable in my house. I know its sounds as if I am really strict, I am not I just want to keep them safe, have fun but without any injuries or tears.

Parents have commented that I am firm but fair. :thumbsup:

mushpea
28-09-2012, 07:48 PM
well yesterday I had a 2.5yrold and almost 6yrold after school we played a borad game, a card matching game, they helped feed the animals then cuddled up with my daughter for about 15mins watching sponge bob then I had to help my two with somting and the waterworks came, I asked her what was wrong and she blubed the ususal line 'i want to go home' which basicly translates as there is no attention comming my way, ususal she gets a cuddle then we find somthing to do, yesterday for some reason it annoyed me so I told her that she is not the only person here and that she will have to 'just get on with it' whilst I am busy, and do you know what,, it worked ! she went off and played making agame up with some glass pebbles I have and she played for quite a while by herself.
sometimes I think we offer them too much choice and to many ideas, sometimes i think it pays to just say to them your not bored you just need to find somthing to do,, or go play for 10mins then we will do somthing together.

funemnx
28-09-2012, 08:02 PM
I have had this problem recently - playfighting - someone always ends up in tears! I remind them before we go in the house - no more play fighting at my house any more! I have k'nex, action figures, duplo, board games and loads paper, pens etc on the table. So far it seems to have worked - for now..... :rolleyes:

karen m
28-09-2012, 09:07 PM
Lego , action figures, car , bike in the garden

loocyloo
29-09-2012, 09:31 AM
my schoolies just love playing with the LO !!! they also built a huge scene with ALL my little people stuff and got really cross when they came the next day and it had been touched !!! i had told them, that as it was all over the playroom floor, the LO would touch/play with it the next day! if they had built it elsewhere, i 'might' have had a chance/attempt to keep it safe!, but Lo like little people too!

Tazmin68
29-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Lego, computer, wii and homework

Debbie

winstonian
29-09-2012, 07:40 PM
1 night a week we have 11 schoolies - some go on the Wii, others the pc, puppets and puppet shows, pretend shops, outside with the trampoline, bubbles, chalks, playhouse, rabbits, craft activities, board games, tv (we have the pc and wii in the living room and tv in the playroom, music and dancing and when they go .........................RELAX!! :laughing:

melco
30-09-2012, 11:59 AM
I have a 9 yr old boy and 10yr old girl, at the moment they have not been too bad. They either do their homework, help mine with theirs which is nice, get out the crafts or watch tv.

The problem I do have is the 9 and 10 yrs old are brother and sister so they play fight and think its acceptable to do it in my house and even try to get my 2 children involved.

As someone else said I have told them that I do not allow it in my house. They said they are allowed at home, to which I replied that I don't care what they do in their own home in my home they follow my rules and that means no play fighting. Its taken a while but I think they have got the message!!

I would really like to get some Lego though, any ideas where I can get some cheap?

Thanks

melco

Chatterbox Childcare
30-09-2012, 12:36 PM
I have a mixture of boys and girls after school aged from 4 to 11 and if they are play fighting they go OUTSIDE!