PDA

View Full Version : No respect for childminders

sonic75
28-09-2012, 12:24 PM
Why do parents think it's ok to mess childminders around? I've had so many people make enquiries and really positive phone and e-mail contact and then they don't turn up or just start ignoring your messages. I don't mind if people change their minds for whatever reason, even if it is something about me they don't like but common courtesy is to let you know. I hate being stood up, you get all ready all your bumph out to show them and then nothing! Rant over thanks

cathtee
28-09-2012, 12:32 PM
I'm sorry you have been let down, I'm affraid a lot of people are just so me me me and don't worry about anyone else:mad:, if they are like that before they put the lo in your care then you are better off without them

loocyloo
28-09-2012, 12:45 PM
i know!

i've got a mum who is definate she wants care and we've chatted on the phone and by email since JUNE! BUT she won't commit to coming to see me! always a reason why she can't come OR she wanted to come midday during the school holiday and i said it was difficult to chat to a parent during the holidays, as house full of children and we tend to go out for the day, or if at home, busy doing things! i suggested any day during termtime as only LO here and its much calmer ... she now wants to come in half term, but is busy until then! ( and no, she isn't a teacher & doesn't have a job that is termtime dependant !!!! )

well, she might well have a shock, as i've spoken to couple of parents who are also interested and both should be coming to see me next week !!!

fionamadcat
28-09-2012, 01:01 PM
I had a call a few weeks ago on a saturday and arranged to see mum with her dd on the thursday. On the monday I was at a childminders group and found out the little girl had started with another childminder that day and was seeing another me and another 2 minders on the thursday, needless to say the thursday came and she didn't turn up for me or the other 2 and never bothered calling any of us. I wasn't expecting her to turn up but a phone call would have been nice!! As it turns out she has already been messing about the childminder that she has started with so maybe it was a blessing in disguise!

WibbleWobble
28-09-2012, 01:20 PM
I had a call a few weeks ago on a saturday and arranged to see mum with her dd on the thursday. On the monday I was at a childminders group and found out the little girl had started with another childminder that day and was seeing another me and another 2 minders on the thursday, needless to say the thursday came and she didn't turn up for me or the other 2 and never bothered calling any of us. I wasn't expecting her to turn up but a phone call would have been nice!! As it turns out she has already been messing about the childminder that she has started with so maybe it was a blessing in disguise!

i bet your glad that one got away!!!!

wibble xxx

jaswinder bedi
28-09-2012, 10:38 PM
What a relief you must have felt!! But truthfully it takes time to recover.

lynnfi
29-09-2012, 11:19 AM
I don't think it is only directed at childminders. I think these people are a bit rude to anybody. I agree with Cathtee.
Make it their problem, as it really is theirs. Better off without them.

Mouse
29-09-2012, 11:29 AM
I don't think it is only directed at childminders. I think these people are a bit rude to anybody. I agree with Cathtee.
Make it their problem, as it really is theirs. Better off without them.

I agree it's not just aimed at childminders. I have a friend who runs a nursery & parents often make appointments to visit,then don't turn up.
It's not even limited to childcare - so many people make appointments for all sorts of things, then don't see the importance of letting someone know if they're running late, or are not going to turn up. It's plain rude :mad:

Tazmin68
29-09-2012, 03:02 PM
Hi
I am having this happen a lot especially with parents through childcare.co.uk. I wonder if Richard could put a message on there asking parents to be courteous and contact childminders should they wish to cancel appointments especially as many of use have our own children and a business to run and change plans to wait for these parents.
Deb

karen m
29-09-2012, 05:47 PM
I really don't think if Richard put something like that on the site it would make much differance, if people are rude Richard putting a note on is not going to make them suddenly have manners. I think people are just pre-occupied with themselves

dawn100
29-09-2012, 06:45 PM
It's not just childminders people are like that with, I'm also on the management committee for a pre-school, people accept places fill out all the forms etc and then when it comes to them starting they don't show up don't reply to message then we find out from other parents that they've actually taken a place at another pre-school that was closer to their home etc, and haven't bothered to inform us in the meantime we have had to turn people away who are desperate for places. With some people there just seems to be very little regard for how much their actions affect others.

blue bear
29-09-2012, 06:50 PM
It's not just childminders people are like that with, I'm also on the management committee for a pre-school, people accept places fill out all the forms etc and then when it comes to them starting they don't show up don't reply to message then we find out from other parents that they've actually taken a place at another pre-school .
you should charge a decent deposit that is refundable upon take up of place.

SYLVIA
29-09-2012, 06:56 PM
I agree it's not just aimed at childminders. I have a friend who runs a nursery & parents often make appointments to visit,then don't turn up.
It's not even limited to childcare - so many people make appointments for all sorts of things, then don't see the importance of letting someone know if they're running late, or are not going to turn up. It's plain rude :mad:

I agree with you, I was in the vets last week for our cat and they have a notice up saying that in the last month 49 appointments were not attended!

dawn100
30-09-2012, 01:23 PM
As we only offer the 15 hours that are free with the nursery grant we have been told we are not allowed to charge a deposit (even a refundable one) as it is meant to be free we could be seen as discriminating against those without money (we did use to charge a small deposit and we didn't have half the trouble we have now)

samb
30-09-2012, 08:01 PM
Gosh I know what you mean! I have actually had incredibly polite ones to my face/email however I still have been messed around, just politely! My 2 most recent have been -

1 - who contacted me in July wanting care for next march, with small sessions from January. I asked if we could meet when the children went back to school in sept and booked in a date. She had to change the date (left it til day before), then changed that date so I then contacted her 2 days before the next date to check she was ok to meet and now she is flapping about which days she will need etc. I have asked her to get back in touch with me when she knows what she might want as I may not be able to help if she wants different days to what she first asked for!

2 - who contacted me beginning of sept saying she needed 4 days asap. I could only offer her 3 but she still wanted to meet. She then said she was going on holiday but as she needed care soon could I meet her the saturday after her hols? I don't usually meet saturdays as that's my family time but i agreed as she was saying she was desparate. In the meantime my washing machine started leaking so I had an engineer booked for the same day who of course turned up just before the came! They seemed really nice. On the monday I heard from another minder that she had visited another 4 minders over the friday and saturday all who could provide the full 4 days! I contacted mum and needless to say she "didn't need care any more" but didn't elaborate.

I've got another coming tomorrow but she wants 5 days and I have only got 3 days at the moment and then I have already got an under 1 signed up from january which would clash on one of the days she wants so after having told her I have got 3 days available I'm going to have to say I only have 2 days and then could add the third day once the other one turns 1 (feb). So now I feel awful as it's me who is messing her around! :(

sonic75
02-10-2012, 06:51 AM
Thanks everyone, makes me feel better that it's not just me. Apparently she got called to work and forgot to contact me! She's coming again today so we'll see

sonic75
02-10-2012, 02:44 PM
She didn't show and no message!

samb
02-10-2012, 07:05 PM
She didn't show and no message!

:rolleyes:

Kiddleywinks
02-10-2012, 08:00 PM
:rolleyes:

:idea: Leave well alone, (don't attempt to contact her again) and a severe case of 'unfortunately I'm unavailable now' should she contact you in the future

Try not to let it get to you, these things happen for a reason, all sound like cliches, but it really is true (I had 18 mess arounds before I got my first, and the 3 I have now a, I wouldn't have been able to have if I'd took the other jobs on and b, they all work well for me and my family time)