PDA

View Full Version : could somebody clarify?...

moogster1a
28-09-2012, 08:37 AM
Right, I saw this on a previous post and copied it.
Could anybody clarify if this is true ( looking at spending the weekend indulging my pregnant belly with lots of nice food uninterrupted by paperwork!)

You don't have to do the 2-yr assessment on ANY child who has turned 2 before the 1st September 2012 - regardless of whether they have had the 2 yr check by their HV.

If you care for a child who turned 2 on or after the 1st Sept, then you are required to complete a 2 yr assessment. The idea as far as I understand, is so that parents can take the assessment to the HV if possible.

cara1235
28-09-2012, 08:44 AM
Yes would like to know what the answer is to this :rolleyes:

Bluebell
28-09-2012, 09:00 AM
hmm my understanding of it is that from the 1st Septmeber we are required to do it on all children between the age of 2 and 3 although I suppose it would be at our discretion if they were turning 3 in October say as to whether it was worth doing. As some areas are not providing training on this until next year I don't see how they can expect us to really get to grips with it straight away.

'My understanding of it' (just to clarify) means that its not neccessarily in any way shape or form correct!

Mouse
28-09-2012, 09:11 AM
I remember that thread & think I queried it at the time. I don't know that it was ever answered though.

On my EYFS course we were told that we had to do the assessments on any child who was already 2. One of my mindees is 3 in November & has already has his HV check, but I was told I would still have to do an assessment on him before his 3rd birthday.

Have you got a link to the thread?

hectors house
28-09-2012, 11:02 AM
I remember that thread & think I queried it at the time. I don't know that it was ever answered though.

On my EYFS course we were told that we had to do the assessments on any child who was already 2. One of my mindees is 3 in November & has already has his HV check, but I was told I would still have to do an assessment on him before his 3rd birthday.

Have you got a link to the thread?

I am doing 2 year development checks on ALL children that were already 2 on the 1st of Sept - have just done my first one on a child who will be 3 in November, so I agree with info Mouse was given and that is how I have interpreted the guidelines.

loocyloo
28-09-2012, 12:32 PM
all of my 2 yr olds have had their 2 yr checks ( have them as soon as they turn 2 round here! ) and they all turn 3 this term.

i have done 2 yr checks, more for me to check that the form i devised works, rather than to actually do the checks, if you see what i mean! plus i am also expecting ofsted at some point soon, so better to 'tick' all the boxes now and have everything covered !:rolleyes: other wise i wouldn't be rushing!

as one of my mums said, you don't need to wait for a form to tell if there is a concern! and if there was, you would tell me!:D

dawn100
28-09-2012, 10:50 PM
On my EYFS training we were told that from the sept we would have to do a check of any child that was between the age of 2 and 3, we could use our discretion as to exactly when to do it. We would still need to do one even if parents don't see HV for a 2year check (there's a shortage of health visitors in my area) as Ofsted will be expecting us to complete them and will more than likely want to see evidence of them.

gegele
29-09-2012, 07:05 AM
i wait for parent to receive letter about 2yr+ check and i do it. you can't pick a date out of thin air as child do progress a lot from 1 month to an other at that age.
my understanding is from sept all child who have a 2yr+check needs to have an evaluation from you too. regardless of his date of birth.

winstonian
29-09-2012, 07:32 AM
Health visitors in our area dont do 2 year old checks. They just send a letter through with a ticklist for the parent to tick any concerns!

clareelizabeth1
29-09-2012, 08:27 AM
For the time it takes I am doing it on my two year old even though he is leaving in a month as I think it will also be useful for his nursery to see where I think he's at. If I had a bunch of two year olds I might be less inclined though.

Chatterbox Childcare
29-09-2012, 02:18 PM
Health visitors in our area dont do 2 year old checks. They just send a letter through with a ticklist for the parent to tick any concerns!

I think this will be changing due to new guidelines from the Govt.

loocyloo
29-09-2012, 04:24 PM
I think this will be changing due to new guidelines from the Govt.

but i don't think they have to do it until 2015 !!!

blue bear
29-09-2012, 04:28 PM

Ours now send a letter inviting parents to a group chat about two year olds development in general, so all the families in the room listen to hv talk about average abilities of two year olds, all accompanied with said two year olds. How effective do you reckon that's gonna be at picking up problems. :panic:

SYLVIA
29-09-2012, 07:02 PM
I have 4 who were 2 between jan and august and all but one started with mein september. I am planning on doing the check on them all just so I have it in my folders and to practice what I'm doing

Mollymop
29-09-2012, 08:24 PM
I am due an inspection (nearly 4 years since last inspection! eek) so I have done a 2 year progress check on my 33 month old even though he is almost 3, it's mainly to show my inspector what I do and to ensure I have covered everything.

As others may have stated already, the revised eyfs started this month, so I would assume it would mean that we should do as it states - including the 2 year progress check on any children 24- 36 months old