PDA

View Full Version : Numbers and spaces

KarenM
28-09-2012, 06:06 AM
After working out my space I have worked out I can 5 under 5 between me and my assistant. This was for my own confirmation more than anything, as having an assistant with her own 2 year old meant I wasn't allowed to take on any further work as she took up the fourth place - as per my certificate at the time. Any whoo, what I need to know is how does this affect the over 5's. On a Thursday after school I have a 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7 year old. I would still have my assistant so could extend my numbers - but need to take into consideration space requirements etc to comply with new regs. The reason I ask is because I have had an enquiry for a 2 year old and their 7 week old brother. Would still be under 5 for the Early Years, and most of the time the older ones are either in the garden or off out down the park and it will only be for 45 minutes as an overlap.
Can anyone wade through my waffle and help? Oh and by the way, this situation would only be every other week lol

sarah707
28-09-2012, 07:02 AM
It depends on what your certificates say if the assistant has children and you are caring for 5... plus if you have your own... it's hard without knowing your circumstances sorry.

Plus if you go over 6 under 8 in the house you must check with your LA about planning permission - if you need it then you have to go through that (often costly and time consuming) process first.

hth :D

KarenM
28-09-2012, 07:11 AM
Thank you for your reply I've just spoken to a man at Ofsted and successfully confused him too lol. I do have my own daughter, she's 12 and is rarely seen. I have worked it out the from 3:30 - 4:15 every other week I would have 2 x 2 year olds, 3 year old, 7 week old :eek:, and after schoolers of 4, 6 and 7. School run is at the bottom of my road - the hubby does the other one :). So reasonable distance for the littlies to walk on reins.
Basically Ofsted just referred me back to the EYFS. Which I knew already - had worked out square meterage etc, just wasn't sure how to count the 6 and 7 year old in the space requirement. Obviously I would not be on my own when I did this. But I would have to prove that I could meet all the needs.

sarah707
28-09-2012, 07:25 AM
So you'd have 7 children... between 2 of you...

Which would be fine in theory if, as you say, you can write up how you meet all their learning, development and care needs etc.

But as you are over the magic 6 under 8 in the house at any one time you'd need to check with your LA about planning first.

:D

KarenM
28-09-2012, 07:31 AM
I think I have talked myself out of it after assessing how much help my husband would be having that much responsibility - the words chocolate fireguard spring to mind. It would be different if I had my other assistant, but she finishes at 2:30 lol.

sarah707
28-09-2012, 07:50 AM
I think I have talked myself out of it after assessing how much help my husband would be having that much responsibility - the words chocolate fireguard spring to mind. It would be different if I had my other assistant, but she finishes at 2:30 lol.

Yes... that has to be another consideration! :laughing:

xx