PDA

View Full Version : help! Paint on carpet

kate91
27-09-2012, 09:26 PM
Hi everyone, only just joined as I have big problem and really could do with some friendly help...
I work as a Nanny and recently while playing with the children in my care, a small pot of childrens paint got spilt over the carpet :panic: anyway i cleared it up best i could and obviously told the parents on their return. As they rent their house they don't have contents insurance and have got me to pay for the cleaning. However, the carpet hasn't cleaned up to their/landlords expectations and they are now saying i have to pay for a new carpet. I can't afford to do this and anyway I feel that any mishap in the future will be directed at me to pay for. can anyone offer any helpful comments please:crying:

JCrakers
28-09-2012, 09:36 AM
Oh dear :( I don't really know where you stand on this one. I used to be a nanny but wasn't in your situation.
It's not a good position to be in is it. What happens if something else happened, like the pushchair broke while you we're using it, would they expect you to buy a new one.
I hope someone has some advice. Did you go through an agency for the job? If so, they might offer advice :D

Edited to say that's its their fault actually for not having contents insurance...surely????

I've got contents on mine after my son spilt neat blackcurrant squash on my cream carpet when he was 2. I had to buy a rug to cover the stain.

rickysmiths
28-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Hi everyone, only just joined as I have big problem and really could do with some friendly help...
I work as a Nanny and recently while playing with the children in my care, a small pot of childrens paint got spilt over the carpet :panic: anyway i cleared it up best i could and obviously told the parents on their return. As they rent their house they don't have contents insurance and have got me to pay for the cleaning. However, the carpet hasn't cleaned up to their/landlords expectations and they are now saying i have to pay for a new carpet. I can't afford to do this and anyway I feel that any mishap in the future will be directed at me to pay for. can anyone offer any helpful comments please:crying:

Very odd why would they not have their belongings insured and that is their choice and a risk they took by not having it. Buildings I can understand but not contents.

I think they were wrong to make you pay for the cleaning. They may have to indeed pay for a new carpet if that is what their agreement with the Landlord is, if not they may loose their deposit to pay for a replacement when they leave. I don't see why you should pay for a new carpet either. What a cheek.

I would go to your agency if you were hired through one, NCMA legal line if you are a member or the Local Citizens Advice Bureau.

Helen Dempster
28-09-2012, 12:06 PM
What a horrible situation to be in for you! I'm afraid I'm not able to offer any sound advice, as I've never nannied and have never been in that situation myself. There are a lot of experienced people on this Forum though, so someone will surely be along and put your mind at rest, hopefully.

Sending hugs (for what they're worth) xx

Maza
28-09-2012, 02:04 PM
Firstly, could you get a refund from the carpet cleaning company? Most won't clean a carpet/settee etc if they can't guarantee to get the stains out.

Did the parents expect you to do painting with the children at home? If they did then they should have anticipated some mishaps and had ground rules, for example, provided you with a mat/sheet/towel etc to put over the carpet. In future, never, ever do painting on a carpeted floor, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. I would let the parents know that you are really not happy. Who actually knocked over the paint - you or the children? Is the stain really bad? How dirty was the carpet beforehand? Do you know for a fact that the landlord said this? I think I would have to hand in my notice, regardless of the outcome. Maybe if you tell them that you are handing in your notice they will panic and let you off with the carpet. You would then need to establish exactly which activities you are prepared to do with the children.

I really feel for you. Let us know what the outcome was. x

hectors house
28-09-2012, 02:19 PM
If the parents supplied the paint for you to use with child then surely it is their fault for not getting fully washable kids paint. Don't think you should have paid for getting carpet clean and certainly not to have it replaced.

It is their choice to have contents insurance so their risk if something happens. The buildings insurance is generally paid by the landlord.

If you do stay with this family or find work somewhere else, I would find a local toddler group or childrens centre where they do a daily craft activity so you don't have the risk of this happening again.

wendywu
28-09-2012, 09:06 PM
Why should you pay for a new carpet, the parents should have contents insurance.

If it was their child that knocked their paint over in their home well it is up to them. :mad:

kate91
28-09-2012, 09:50 PM
Hi thank you all for your comments. what happened exactly was i was going to do an activity making a birthday card with the children and i got the paints out and paper, putting the paints a couple of inches away from edge of unit. i hadn't actually got it all out and opened ready yet for the activity. which was taking place in their kitchen, however they have a conservatory on it which has the carpet in. as my back was turned one of the little lads got the paint went in the conservatory and spilt it.

With reguards to giving permission, when i started here they had nothing in terms of creative craft play for the children so i asked if i could go out and get materials to which they gave permission and some money to do so.

I felt guilty it happened in my care so offered to pay for the cleaning which they took no hesitation in accepting. The stain has mostly gone, hardly noticeable, bar a few stubborn marks. They have basically blamed it on me as they said they allowed me to bring them into their home and trusted me, also that i should have been watching them more closely and it would have happened on their watch. I feel i have worked to the best of my ability in looking after and stimulating the children. But now myself and my work are being slatted for this ACCIDENT. Its such a hard position to be in and feel im being unfairly treated.! I certainly feel i cant stay there and like you said i would be paranoid all the time something else will happen.! :(

PixiePetal
28-09-2012, 10:10 PM
what a situation!

parents should have insurance - we rent out our old house and we pay for buildings insurance which has minimal contents insurance too - think this covers the odd things of our in there - like carpets?
It is up tenants to have contents insurance for their belongings.

We pay a small rent (house on family farm so partly owned by us anyway) for current house - and full contents insurance.

If tenants ruin something in the house it is down to them to sort it or the money will come out of their deposit at the end of tenancy.

You are not the tenant so it is up to them, totally crazy of them as I think I would be more careful in rented house :rolleyes:

Maza
29-09-2012, 08:00 AM
Have you spoken to your bosses yet hon? Hubby said contents insurance should definitely cover it, he is a landlord. If the landlord has really asked for a new carpet then he has a bloomin' cheek. The worst that could happen is that they would lose their deposit and that would probably be cheaper than a new carpet. How do you know what the value of the carpet was, or the age of the carpet? I think he is trying to pull a fast one. x

wendywu
29-09-2012, 03:55 PM
Yes no way should the landlord end up with a brand new carpet that replaces an old carpet.

He is just trying it on and trying to get something for nothing.

The child caused the stain and the parents should have their own insurance.
They are unrealistic to expect to have a home with children and to have no mishaps or accidents. It is their responsibility to cover all eventualities in the home THEY rent.

They are trying it on as well, don't let them take advantage of you.:mad:

PixiePetal
29-09-2012, 04:18 PM
if this happened in the house we rent out I would not expect a new carpet all through as it is an old carpet in there now. I think it would be fair for tenants to pay for cleaning and if this has not worked then lose a nominal amount (if any)of deposit towards a new carpet at end of tenancy - but this is not your responsibility, it's the parents. They have the contract, not you.

Hazards of having kids.

When our last tenants left, we put a new carpet in a bedroom as a leak in the concrete gutter had led to water coming through the light fitting and staining carpet - it was damp smelling with a brown stain. But we footed the bill as it was our property that was at fault.

sarah707
30-09-2012, 08:11 AM
Kate, you are very welcome to post on the Childminding Forum and I can see you have received lots of advice already.

I don't know if you are aware but there is also an association for professional nannies with a member area and forum.

I wonder if they might also be able to advise you - http://www.bapn.org.uk/.

I hope this helps :D