PDA

View Full Version : Jaw dropping moment - holiday fees.

pinkbutterfly
27-09-2012, 08:54 PM
I had a parent ask me if I'd consider not charging them if she takes a month off to go on holiday (I charge full price when they are off and nothing when we're off). I nearly choked. She'd be still getting tax credits. Is this legal?
I didn't really know what to say. She said she can't take time off to go when I do as it is more expensive.
She said nurseries do it if they get enough notice because they can shift the staff somewhere else. Do they really?
She'd actually 'threatened' me with a nursery. I'm starting to feel like giving the notice myself.
Any thoughts?

tess1981
27-09-2012, 08:58 PM
she knew when she signed up that you charged over their holidays so stick with this... but i do love a parent who tries it on makes me laugh :laughing:

im hard up for entertainment i suppose :eek:

kindredspirits
27-09-2012, 08:58 PM
No offence to this mum but if she can afford to take a month long holiday then she can afford to go on a standard 7-14 ay holiday when you do!what a blooming cheek

Daisy1956
27-09-2012, 08:59 PM
Wow, I thought I had heard it all. Why does she want to take a month off ?
What a cheek especially as she is getting tax credits.

Carol
27-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Nurseries DO charge parents when they are on holiday (think parent is trying to pull the wool over your eyes).
A lot of childminders charge parents when they have holidays, so parent should think themselves lucky you dont charge.
I would stick by your contract and state full pay, no discount.

Carol

karensmart4
27-09-2012, 09:02 PM
I would say that I hadn't heard of a nursery doing this!

I would tell her that the other way she could do it is pay extra in advance to cover so that she doesn't actually have to pay that month.

If she wants to send lil one to a nursery of course that's her choice and that's fine and not to forget you require a months notice in writing. :)

Don't be blackmailed :thumbsup:

Ripeberry
27-09-2012, 09:12 PM
What kind of job does she have where she could even take a month off! :eek:
I remember years ago when I worked in a office job. A long standing employee of 25yrs had the chance to go around the world for 6 weeks and they told her that she could only have 3 weeks and she she didn't like it she could resign.

She resigned and I don't blame her either :mad:

The Juggler
27-09-2012, 09:19 PM
even if she found a nursery that would do it - their fees month by month would be much higher. tell her to take a hike - professionally of course;)

mr man
27-09-2012, 11:22 PM
It's the parental leave, if same as my parents, I have one set who takes every year in August, but no more now as child is over 5. Parents can do this but it's unpaid, you can do it each yr till chil is 5.

I knew a year in advance, and averaged my payments anyway.

cragz
27-09-2012, 11:51 PM
I had a parent ask me if I'd consider not charging them if she takes a month off to go on holiday (I charge full price when they are off and nothing when we're off). I nearly choked. She'd be still getting tax credits. Is this legal?
I didn't really know what to say. She said she can't take time off to go when I do as it is more expensive.
She said nurseries do it if they get enough notice because they can shift the staff somewhere else. Do they really?
She'd actually 'threatened' me with a nursery. I'm starting to feel like giving the notice myself.
Any thoughts?

tell her to go to the nursery,,,some parents will try anything,,you have got to be strict,,it is a business not a charity

jadavi
28-09-2012, 01:09 AM
If they take a holiday I charge the amount they get for me from tax credit
70% single parent, 50% couple. In the contract these people have 100% fee the whole year round but I don't charge their contribution if they are on holiday,

EmmaReed84
28-09-2012, 05:09 AM
If she has threatened you with a nursery if you don't meet her demands I would call her bluff!

I would talk to her then hand her a letter saying

Dear X

As I am unable to meet your holiday payment requirements, as discussed I accept your 4 weeks notice of termination so you may put Y in to a nursery. The last day of care will be XX/XX/XXXX

Kind regards

If she questions the letter look dumb struck and say "Oh sorry I thought you said if I didn't, not charge you, then you were going to take Y to a nursery... was I mistaken?

Bushpig
28-09-2012, 07:05 AM
And how does she suppose you pay your mortgage and bills if you never charged when parents had all their holidays??? They just don't THINK. Be firm with her. She knew this when she signed up.

AliceK
28-09-2012, 07:27 AM
If she has threatened you with a nursery if you don't meet her demands I would call her bluff!

I would talk to her then hand her a letter saying

Dear X

As I am unable to meet your holiday payment requirements, as discussed I accept your 4 weeks notice of termination so you may put Y in to a nursery. The last day of care will be XX/XX/XXXX

Kind regards

If she questions the letter look dumb struck and say "Oh sorry I thought you said if I didn't, not charge you, then you were going to take Y to a nursery... was I mistaken?

Yes I would do the same. Serve her right for making threats.

xxx

jane5
28-09-2012, 09:21 AM
I bet she can only afford to take a months holiday if you don't charge her, I think I will try that with my mortgage, I could afford another 2weeks abroad then.......!!!!

teacake2
28-09-2012, 09:22 AM
I had an enquiry very similar this week, parent had been to see me and was told the fees, she then proceeded to tell me that she had seen another childminder who would do it for £20.00 a week less than me and would I like to re-negotiate my rates, erm, no these are my fees, the hours were actually outside my normal working hours but as I needed the money then I was prepared to work these hours for her, I told her to go to the other very inexperienced childminder. I notice that she is still looking on childcare.co.uk, so me thinks she was really trying it on. I might need the money but I am not being held to ransom.
Teacake2

Lilylulu
28-09-2012, 10:01 AM
we have a family who actually terminated their contract and signed up again when they came back so they could get a holiday without paying. Its not like they are hard up either, parents are senior professionals in well paid jobs. I think they may try the same this year, we are just trying to plan a way to stop this happening. It's not fair on us or the other families who play by the rules :(

Ripeberry
28-09-2012, 11:06 AM
we have a family who actually terminated their contract and signed up again when they came back so they could get a holiday without paying. Its not like they are hard up either, parents are senior professionals in well paid jobs. I think they may try the same this year, we are just trying to plan a way to stop this happening. It's not fair on us or the other families who play by the rules :(

Just don't let them come back :mad:

caz3007
28-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Just don't let them come back :mad:

Thats what I was thinking

I would say there may not be a place if you want to come back and then would make sure there wasnt

The Juggler
28-09-2012, 12:47 PM
And how does she suppose you pay your mortgage and bills if you never charged when parents had all their holidays??? They just don't THINK. Be firm with her. She knew this when she signed up.

ditto! :)

Donkey
28-09-2012, 02:53 PM
I would say that I hadn't heard of a nursery doing this!

I would tell her that the other way she could do it is pay extra in advance to cover so that she doesn't actually have to pay that month.

If she wants to send lil one to a nursery of course that's her choice and that's fine and not to forget you require a months notice in writing. :)

Don't be blackmailed :thumbsup:

which of course does not include any holiday period, so the notice period starts when she comes back...

DO NOT BE BLACKMAILED!!

Lilylulu
28-09-2012, 04:26 PM
It's really hard to say they cant come back, as the little one is just the best, so chilled out and easy going and a gorgeous little character, would hate to lose the child. Parents probably realise that too :( would just like them to play fair.

Tealady
28-09-2012, 07:57 PM
It's really hard to say they cant come back, as the little one is just the best, so chilled out and easy going and a gorgeous little character, would hate to lose the child. Parents probably realise that too :( would just like them to play fair.

Did they advise you of their intentions or just get in touch for an immediate start when they want to come back?

I would either do a fee increase and save that part to use when they go again or say that asvtjis is the second time they have left and come back that this time their deposit is no longer refundable.

EmmaReed84
28-09-2012, 07:59 PM

perhaps you can do an overhaul on some of your fees and policies for NEW contracts, give all parent s copy but state clearly, FOR NEW CONTRACTS signed after XX/XX date!

Then IF they do it again, they will sign to a new set of agreements that are more suited to you dealing with this situations again

jaswinder bedi
28-09-2012, 09:12 PM
As everyone Mentioned stick to your words. You are not doing any thing wrong. X

Mummits
29-09-2012, 06:59 AM
I had a Mum a while ago who said she didn't want to pay for a fortnight's holiday as her parents had unexpectedly and generously paid for them to go on a foreign holiday and she wanted the money for spending. If I didn't agree she would give notice - so I said feel free and she did. Sad to see the little one go, but you can't wor with people that selfish.

I had another one from a baby to three years old whose parents were always messing me about. In the end it got to a point where I just couldn't do what they wanted and they went to another childminder. Six months on, she came to me for advice on how to handle them. Apparently they had refused to enter into a proper contract and were insidting on doing short term ones for 28 days. Then at the end of each contract they would have a few days, a week or even a couple of weeks "off" unpaid before starting again. I said I wouldn't personally offer more than one short term contract but obviously it's up to her if she chooses to be treayed like that (in other words avoiding saying anything about the particular family but keeping to generalisations). Anyway, she has decided to give up childminding altogether (she had a few problem families but I suspect they drift towards the CM who is least businesslike).

Anyway (phew what an essay), my advice would be to stick to terms you find acceptable, and let the families who won't play fair do their own thing. If they gave notice on me to take holiday I would say I hoped that I would still have a place when they returned, but obviously couldn't guarantee it, and if or when they did come back it would be to an offer of a contract on my new terms.

Good Luck!

gegele
29-09-2012, 07:02 AM
i think i would find it really hard not to be sarcastic. But after a big struggle with myself I would say " I have bills to pay whether you're on holidays with plenty of notice or not."

Seriously do they think that we take their fees and buy gold blocks to build a garden wall or something??

if you back down now and leave them take time off without paying you be ready to lose plenty of income when they're going to be off to grand parents... you say yes once you set a previous, you shooting yourself in the foot. STAY FIRM!

great kids do turn evil at times LOL don't get fooled ah ah ah ah ah ah

Saaliha
29-09-2012, 04:15 PM
Same situation with me ..!

I mind her two daughters, one 18 months who comes full time

Second 4.5 years part time(after school)

I put on 4.5 mindee's contract not to charge when i m off, but full charge for thier holiday. I m not charging for 18 months old full time mindee for either of our time off.

Now, mom asking me to negotiate the contract for 4.5Y. Dont wanna pay for her holiday if she gives early notice for long holiday (month or so)

Which i think not acceptable.. We cant fill up the place during that time.

I am available to work during those days..! :cool:

chez
29-09-2012, 06:15 PM

Even if they do - we cant say how every nursery works as they all work diffrently like all childminders do. We can not shift the staff somewhere else, where does she think youll be shifted? and what about the other children in your care if your shifted!?!