PDA

View Full Version : What works and what doesn't in your opinion?

pinkellifun
27-09-2012, 08:08 AM
Can you give me your views on what works and what doesn't work with regard to working with parents and nurseries, etc?

I know that is quite a wide question but I would love to have all your views as I am having problems with finding something that works. I know its trial and error but some ideas would be great!

bunyip
27-09-2012, 08:46 AM
Could you be a bit (a lot) more specific?

So far, the only answer I can come up with is: "forty-two". :o

jane5
27-09-2012, 08:49 AM
I don't really understand what you mean?:confused:

tess1981
27-09-2012, 10:54 AM

how did you get 42.... i keep getting 45.3.. did you multipy what was in the brackets before you subtracted ????:)

pinkellifun
27-09-2012, 11:25 AM
Sorry - was being a bit vague at that time of the morning - it made sense in my head! :blush: :blush:

After my inspection they said I needed to show I was working with parents and other settings (unfortunately for me they don't seem to co-operate). I have a daily diary which never gets written in, a learning journey that doesn't get comments written in, a comments book which doesn't get comments written in, etc.

How do you all work with parents and get even a little bit of response back from them?

Does that make sense? :blush:

VeggieSausage
27-09-2012, 11:34 AM
I would:
1. Ask them specifically to write some comments in a comments box with the LJ
2. Any comments made on the doorstep - what they have done at the weekend what child A likes doing etc then write it down and note it yourself, stick in LJ or file it.
3. Send out newsletters and ask for feedback
4. Ask for them to bring stuff from home such as a child's favourite book to read or if you are doing junk modelling for example empty boxes and then note this so Ofsted can see you are trying.

note to self...take my own advice :laughing:

FussyElmo
27-09-2012, 12:14 PM

Isn't 42 the answer we have all been looking for :thumbsup:

bunyip
27-09-2012, 03:48 PM
Sorry - was being a bit vague at that time of the morning - it made sense in my head! :blush: :blush:

I do feel for you. After my inspection they said I needed to show I was working with parents and other settings (unfortunately for me they don't seem to co-operate). I have a daily diary which never gets written in, a learning journey that doesn't get comments written in, a comments book which doesn't get comments written in, etc.

How do you all work with parents and get even a little bit of response back from them?

Does that make sense? :blush:

Very tricky when you are communicating, but it's all one way traffic. I'm lucky that the parents I have are quite good at communicating back. Same with pre-school who are also good. But the local school is a total nightmare: a complete law unto itself, but with a headteacher who charms everyone (including Ofsted.)

First up, I'd document everything to prove that you're doing all you can. 'Evidencing' things for inspection can sometimes mean being quite blatant. Don't just do something that's good or necessary, you also have to take pictures, invite comments, and pretty much erect a 40 foot high display in neon lights to say you're doing it. (OK, everso slight exaggeration there, but you get the gist.) :blush:

Everything that goes home, every letter, every diary, every home activity suggestion, all need a space at the bottom headed "parents' feedback", and then print an extra copy to go on file with the child's records. I also aim to do a review meeting for each child with the parents once a term, and get them to sign to say they've done it.

I have parent's comments slips kept in the display which houses all my certificates, which is all by the front door. No parent has ever taken one, but the inspector all but wet her knickers in excitement when she saw them (heck, if only I always had this effect on the laydees. :p - JOKING, please don't flame the Bunyip :D)

I also have a thorough 'Working with Parents' policy, so Ofsted can see what I'm doing (or in your case, trying your darnedest to do, if only the parents were the slightest bit interested.) I also include in my policy and permissions form that I expect parents to discuss their child's welfare, learning and development with me - so, if ever any of them tried to avoid it, I could at least point out what they've agreed to.

It is one of the sillier aspects of regulation, that it's never enough just to do the best for the children. We not only have to do things but be seen to do them (evidencing) but you gradually learn how to play the rather silly games that keep Ofsted happy. ;)

bunyip
27-09-2012, 03:58 PM
Isn't 42 the answer we have all been looking for :thumbsup:

42 is the answer to life, the universe and everything, as calculated by Deep Thought, the (almost) ultimate computer in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Having been set the task of finding the answer to "the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything" and taking 7.5 million years to "think about it", the computer announces that the answer is, in fact, "forty-two". Its owners (or rather the 75,000th generation descendants of its owners) are somewhat disappointed, to which Deep Thought explains somewhat apologetically that, "I think the problem such as it was, was too broadly based. You never actually stated what the question was."

:)

jackie 7
27-09-2012, 08:40 PM
but would mrs ofsted understand 42? how about sending out a questionaire, yes just ask the right questions. that is how they are all done. work out the answer you want and then write the question.