PDA

View Full Version : accessing outdoors with a baby.

welshgirl
26-09-2012, 09:21 PM
I am just wondering how you manage accessing outdoors with a baby now the weather is turning worse. Mindee is 11 months and crawling, we used to take a big blanket out and sit on the grass with toys while 2 year old happily played, but the grass is a mud pit now and we can't do that. We have been going out this last week with little one on my lap, but he wants to go down and explore. We are out daily to different parks, but I would like to access and use the garden, especially as that is where we do our messy play. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can entertain a crawling baby in a mud pit garden.

Twinkles
26-09-2012, 09:24 PM
I let mine crawl around with an all-in-one puddle suit on.

jaswinder bedi
26-09-2012, 09:25 PM
Space hoppers, library, jitter bugs, children centre if any near by your place, play group, all children 6 months and upwards enjoy these places. :thumbsup:

loocyloo
26-09-2012, 10:04 PM
I let mine crawl around with an all-in-one puddle suit on.

same here! i had some waterproof bootees but these kept being taken off, so i used to put an old pair of wellie socks over the top ( and over the knee! )

my 18mth old was sat in all the rain water that had collected in tuff tray having a whale of a time this morning!

The Juggler
26-09-2012, 10:06 PM
all in one puddlesuits for me too!. if you can only get the ones with no feet then you can buy overbootees from waterproofworld.co.uk - they are about £8. :thumbsup:

mrstom
27-09-2012, 05:56 AM
all in one puddlesuits for me too!. if you can only get the ones with no feet then you can buy overbootees from waterproofworld.co.uk - they are about £8. :thumbsup:

That's exactly what I'm planning to do next week. I mind 1x11mth old and 1x12mth old, both are non-walkers at the mo. I already had puddle suits from my own DSs and ordered the overbooties which arrived last weekend.

Would have had them out in the garden this week but it's been a bit of a drowning hazard the last few days :rolleyes:

mama2three
27-09-2012, 07:07 AM
As everyone else says - puddlesuits! In fact most of mine wear them in the garden - saves me having to dry the slide and ride ons every time!:laughing:

hectors house
27-09-2012, 11:43 AM
As everyone else says - puddlesuits! In fact most of mine wear them in the garden - saves me having to dry the slide and ride ons every time!:laughing:

I just bought waterproof trousers in lidls this week and it was great saying to kids - I know slide is wet but its fine, they also had hours of fun playing with water tray yesterday and I didn't have to change any of them - almost easier now weather is getting colder as they don't argue about putting on waterproofs.

I am considering buying a big tarpaulin to put over my lawn when children playing out as have a new crawling baby starting soon. My husband is worried that it will kill grass but I think if I only put it on when we are outside it should recover ok.

lisa1968
27-09-2012, 07:06 PM
We got rid of all the grass in our garden years ago so dont have a mud problem.My baby mindee is 5 months old and crawling so waterproofs wont fit, so I just asked mum not to put her in her best clothes or to put some clothes in her bag that she can wear outside.She loves being outside so mum isn't really bothered if she gets mucky :)

welshgirl
28-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Thanks for your replies, I have a puddle suits, which everyone wears now the weather is turning, but I guess my problem is that little one mouths everything, I have lots of pebbles etc and an extreme amount of slugs and snails (counted 18 this morning on the patio!!!) I have a fence so we can go on the grass area and little one can't access the patio, but it isn't just a bit muddy it is a swamp! Little one also has a number of allergies and intolerances which he is being tested for at the moment, so I am cautious with what he touches or puts in his mouth as he can get quite ill. Any ideas how I can keep him safe in the garden?

hectors house
28-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Could you try to fence off a piece of patio and put down a clean tarpaulin or waterproof sheet when you are out there (after you have removed slugs and snails) - and take out some of your indoor toys or buy cheap ones in charity shop for outside.

I have a 10 month old starting next month so may be going through same problems, although the waterproof trousers on the 17 month old have definitely helped keep him clean - so need another pair of smaller ones.

mrstom
28-09-2012, 04:17 PM
Thanks for your replies, I have a puddle suits, which everyone wears now the weather is turning, but I guess my problem is that little one mouths everything, I have lots of pebbles etc and an extreme amount of slugs and snails (counted 18 this morning on the patio!!!) I have a fence so we can go on the grass area and little one can't access the patio, but it isn't just a bit muddy it is a swamp! Little one also has a number of allergies and intolerances which he is being tested for at the moment, so I am cautious with what he touches or puts in his mouth as he can get quite ill. Any ideas how I can keep him safe in the garden?

Yuck! Trying not to shudder at the thought of LO somehow managing to get hold of and mouth a slug. Hideous, pointless things :eek:

Slugs that is, not mindees :D

crazyhazy
28-09-2012, 10:50 PM
We got rid of all the grass in our garden years ago so dont have a mud problem.My baby mindee is 5 months old and crawling so waterproofs wont fit, so I just asked mum not to put her in her best clothes or to put some clothes in her bag that she can wear outside.She loves being outside so mum isn't really bothered if she gets mucky :)

Why won't a puddle suit fit a 5 month old? My girls had them from 9-12m size, if they're a bit big you just roll the legs and sleeves up, my youngest is just 4y and tiny but wears a 5-6y all in one rain suit cos they last forever lol

The Juggler
29-09-2012, 11:37 AM

i have a baby like this honey. can't take my eyes off her for a second, she eats, mud, chalks, drinks the water in teh water tray AND the sand - or tries to. She thinks its funny now and I just look at her and wag my finger and she laughs at me (she's 14 months now) but when she was 8 months it was full on. Sometimes I'd leave her down for a bit then pop her ona ride on or similar or if I needed a bit of time I'd bring a buggy or high chair out and pop her in there for a little while - they get tired v. quickly anyway crawling around.

mushpea
29-09-2012, 03:28 PM
my crawlers have puddles suits and I watch them whilst they play, not always fool proof cause I have others to watch too but short of putting a zip on his lips I dont see how you can stop him 'eating' everything other than to keep telling him No, actutaly this is what worked with the now 14month old, every time I saw somthing going to the mouth I would say a short sharp NO and it must have worked as here nothing now goes in the mouth.