PDA

View Full Version : Communicating with Nursery re: planning

hectors house
25-09-2012, 07:43 PM
Have been reading posts on here lately that other than seasonal events and events in childs life that we don't need to do long term planning as we are focusing more on child's own interests, which may be long or short term.

I finally have signed permission slips to visit mindees nurseries and talk about childrens development with key workers - but will they be expecting me to give them a planning sheet with topics on? Or am I just telling them that I have noticed while playing Frustration with child that she is struggling with number recognition and we are focusing on that at moment etc, etc Do I leave them the childs LJ to read through - worried will get lost?

I know we were always supposed to talk to Nurseries but I don't have any involvement as I don't do drop off/collections. I did visit a Nursery a few weeks ago where a mindee used to go, but that was because I asked if I could be noisy and see the outdoor play area - I met the manager at a training evening, and didn't discuss the mindee much as he has left both of us to start school.

I know it sounds silly but I am really scared about phoning to make appointment to visit - frightened of looking stupid!

Carol
25-09-2012, 08:15 PM
What I have done in the past is write a letter to the nursery:-
Saying I am Child 'A' Childminder since (whatever year)
I have a good relationship with parents
What the child can do and what I am working to achieve with the child.
I keep a copy for myself and give a copy to the parents.

I do ask the nursery if they can note down what topics they have so I can work along side with.

Hope this helps.

(Never made an appointment to see them - as I see them when i drop child 'A')

Carol

JCrakers
26-09-2012, 08:43 AM
This is my bugbear.
In my inspection the only improvement I had was to work with other settings more.

I write to the nursery/preschool introducing myself and I will be dropping off, picking up on xx days.
Get parents to sign to swap info etc.
I am now thinking of doing a short summary of the 3 or 7 areas of development putting down strengths and what area they fall into for each area (0-11m,8-20m etc) Whether they are entering it, developing it or secure in the area and giving a copy to nursery with my copy thats in LJ.

BUT I have never had a nursery or preschool approach me for anything, no letter, no chat, not a sausage. Its so one sided on the childminders part. :angry:

Cammie Doodle
26-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Mmm its tricky when other settings dont get involved with you. We are very lucky our local Nursery send us Newsletters and they are always willing to sign paperwork stating we work together which is brill for our records, but to be fair I worked with them a few years ago and I'm made welcome to visit when i feel like it,but Im not sure how they are with other Minders in the area which is a shame. You have reminded me I must get a shared info form draughted up to give a local Minder who is sharing a child with me at the moment .

hectors house
26-09-2012, 10:12 AM
Yes it was a recommendation on my last insection too - although I had spoken to Nursery on phone about a child who got very upset at loud noises to see if they had same problems and was sent the topic list by another nursery - this wasn't enough! And like others have said - a Nursery has never contacted me.

loocyloo
26-09-2012, 11:00 AM
it was a recommendation for me too at my last insepction ( despite not having ANY minded children who attended preschool :rolleyes: ) i did have proof of working with school!

it is one sided from my point of view with local preschools, but i am welcomed into settings whenever i want to pop in! however, that it is entirely possible that its because i know the staff, not entirely sure how other childminders fare.