PDA

View Full Version : I feel like a bad childminder !

claire85
25-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Hi Everyone , just had to vent my feeling otherwise its gonna drive me crazy !!! Yesterday 2 nine year olds were playing football in the garden whilst i was with 2 girls inside. One came to tell me that hed hit his head on the scooter when saving a ball , he rubbed it and i asked if he was ok which he replied yes and then he carried on playing.
When mum came she was in a rush to get him and his sister to clubs and another parent arrived. I didnt think to mention it to his mum.
He came today and told me he had been to hospital . When mum came i mentioned it to her and she said whilst having tea he said his head hurt so she took him to have it checked( she was fine with it ), at this point i felt like the worst childminder in the world!!!!

EmmaReed84
25-09-2012, 04:55 PM
Awwww, you are not a bad minder at all. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I have to admit, small knocks and bumps I don't always mention or write down otherwise I would be writing them up all day. However when it involves the head I do, just to be on the safe side.

Pleased all was OK in the end and Mum was OK about it.

claire85
25-09-2012, 04:59 PM
Thanks Emma , you know what boys are like he didn't make a fuss just rubbed it and got on. Mum was totally fine and said nott to feel bad but id do you know how it is .

sarah707
25-09-2012, 05:08 PM
:group hug:

Use this as part of your CPD - always write down every bump, scrape, fall - somewhere and share it with parents.

Hugs x

claire85
25-09-2012, 05:12 PM
Thats an idea thanks , im generally good with writing it down . I wasnt outside so didnt see what happened when asked him didnt make much of a fuss an carried on so just thought was a minor bump . x

zippy
26-09-2012, 07:36 AM
It's hard, like you say it's so hectic at home time, things easily get overlooked, and my heads like a sieve anyway, with that in mind I now text my parents immediately about any head injuries, no matter how small, obviously I am reassuring in texts, 'such and such has just had a small accident bumping head above eye, he's absolutely fine at the moment, just texting incase I forget to mention at pick up'. Works for me, I don't do it with all accidents just head ones mainly.

rickysmiths
26-09-2012, 08:10 AM
It's hard, like you say it's so hectic at home time, things easily get overlooked, and my heads like a sieve anyway, with that in mind I now text my parents immediately about any head injuries, no matter how small, obviously I am reassuring in texts, 'such and such has just had a small accident bumping head above eye, he's absolutely fine at the moment, just texting incase I forget to mention at pick up'. Works for me, I don't do it with all accidents just head ones mainly.

That all sounds fine until you say this. To be honest however busy or hectic at pick up time any bump to the head to any age child in my care is written in my accident book, the parents sign and are given a copy. Its not worth the risk to me not to make sure I do this.