PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever hope a family don't choose you?

kel1983
25-09-2012, 02:36 PM
We have had 6 different families visit us in the last week and half. All except one family have been lovely. We have already had one say yes and one say no (mum no longer taking the job) and 2 were for potential starts in Jan 2013. The visit this afternoon didnt seem to go aswell as as all the other. We just didnt get good vibes from the mum. She is looking for 2 hours childcare 1 day a week and possibly more hours if she can get a part time job.

We are hoping she doesnt choose us as we feel we will just not get on.

Has anyone else felt like this? Do you hope a family say no?

carolyn01
25-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Yes I used to worry but now I decide if I want them! I have been known to say sorry the place has now been taken and then you don't have the worry but obviously still need to fill the place :panic:

tess1981
25-09-2012, 02:59 PM
Yes I used to worry but now I decide if I want them! I have been known to say sorry the place has now been taken and then you don't have the worry but obviously still need to fill the place :panic:

must admit i agree with this too... i cant work with people i dont get on with

lynnfi
25-09-2012, 03:16 PM
Definitely the same here. I choose. So from the start I say that I might have a place, not that I do have one.
And then I see how it gets on.
Once (when I started out) I had said I had a place and saw during the visit that it wouldn't work for I and the children, so I called back the parents and told them I cannot remember what, staying within the truth but without hurting their feelings.

hectors house
25-09-2012, 03:20 PM
Hope they don't choose you meant in a nice way), if they do want you just mention that you have just invented a minimum of 6 hours a day policy, so can't possibly do just 2 hours as taking up a full day space!

jillplum
25-09-2012, 03:26 PM
I know what you mean. Sometimes you just dont get a good feeling. best to make an excuse and avoid taking them on. save the place for someone else :)

jane5
25-09-2012, 03:34 PM
I have thought this but to be honest the parents I have now that are the nicest and best payers have always started off as the contracts that I have been hesitant to take on such as finishing later than I wanted or shift workers that I have quoted a higher price because I didn't really want them to choose me.

Now I just think if parents that I do want don't choose me then there is a reason for it and if I'm not to sure about some one I take them on and see how it goes.
There has been one lo that left because mum lost her job and I was really pleased. She now keeps asking if I will have space for lo as she has a new job and I have to bend the truth a little and tell her I have no space.

Cammie Doodle
25-09-2012, 03:53 PM
:D:D:DYES:D:D:D

KarenM
25-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Yep, and if I don't hear from them I breathe a sigh of relief! :)

Stapleton83
25-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Yep especially when you just don't feel you are on the same wavelength. I think what we do is all about relationships and if you don't get on it is not going to work.

If she comes back and says yes you could always say someone who came to see you previously has now taken the place ;)

rickysmiths
25-09-2012, 04:53 PM
We have had 6 different families visit us in the last week and half. All except one family have been lovely. We have already had one say yes and one say no (mum no longer taking the job) and 2 were for potential starts in Jan 2013. The visit this afternoon didnt seem to go aswell as as all the other. We just didnt get good vibes from the mum. She is looking for 2 hours childcare 1 day a week and possibly more hours if she can get a part time job.

We are hoping she doesnt choose us as we feel we will just not get on.

Has anyone else felt like this? Do you hope a family say no?

It is your business and the interview is just as much for you as it is the parents. Of course you don't have to take the family on if you don't think it will work.