PDA

View Full Version : daily diarys

Straws
17-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Evening all

Quick question my parenst really aint bothered about daily diarys, are they compulsary for the EYFS or should i just write a dairy for them and give it the parents when its full? If it's not compulsary i might give em a miss altogether and just give parents photo's of what we have done would this be ok with Ofsted?

Straws x

theoldwoman
17-06-2008, 10:35 PM
Hi, just wanted to say that I would like to know as well as to be honest with minding from 7.45am to 6.00pm, having a family, running a Cub Pack etc etc I have very little inclination to sit down in the evening and do 'overtime' I give the children my time in the day - isn't that enough. My parents don't want it either. Could you put it in your contract that you provide a home where they are safe & loved but that you don't do all the EYFS stuff, then its up to the parents to decide what they want.

Sue

sarah707
18-06-2008, 07:08 AM
You have to prove to Ofsted you are working in partnership with parents ... they do not prescribe how you do it, that's up to you.

I think you will find we all use a combination of letters, daily diaries, notices on the noticeboard, monthly newsletters and daily chats, plus observations / memories books which we put together and share with parents every so months.

It's up to you how much / when / where etc - so long as you can prove you are doing it effectively.

Also think about how you get feedback from parents - not just how you give them information, but how they give it back to you and you use it to inform what you do. This is going to be a biggie with EYFS - the partnership element must be seen working both ways.

Does that make sense? :D

avril
18-06-2008, 07:16 AM
I enjoy doing daily diaries and manage to write them during the day for them to go home each day what they ate, what we did,if the child did anything exciting, nappies, sleep time and the parents also use them to inform me of things as some partents are busy and don't have time to stop and chat.

It works for me and my families and we both get something from it :thumbsup:

foxy lady
18-06-2008, 07:42 AM
I enjoy doing daily diaries and manage to write them during the day for them to go home each day what they ate, what we did,if the child did anything exciting, nappies, sleep time and the parents also use them to inform me of things as some partents are busy and don't have time to stop and chat.

It works for me and my families and we both get something from it :thumbsup:

this it what i do
i think it saves time as well in the evening having to explain to the parents, i only do it for the pre-school children tho

babyandchild
18-06-2008, 08:00 AM
I do something similar too. I write in the children's contact books daily and include photos. I also send my parents a newsletter detailing whats coming next, the trips or activities we have done etc..I also include info on any training I've completed, courses I've been on etc,

I ask parents to fill in a questionnaire annually, and give out comment cards every 3 months. This is really easy to do and I get some lovely general comments back that I keep in a folder to show new parents, Ofsted etc.

I know it's sometimes a rush to fit everything in but I try to write my books whilst the children are napping!
Hope this helps
xx

katickles
18-06-2008, 08:05 AM
I do the daily diaries through out the day. I fill in things that we have done in the morning while they are having there lunch or sleeps & afternoon while having dinner.

It doesn't take alot of time to do, just jot down a few bits of infor for each day. They are also a really nice keepsake for parents to look back on :)

venus89
18-06-2008, 10:27 AM
I do the daily diaries through out the day. I fill in things that we have done in the morning while they are having there lunch or sleeps & afternoon while having dinner.

It doesn't take alot of time to do, just jot down a few bits of infor for each day. They are also a really nice keepsake for parents to look back on :)

I do that too, while the babies are asleep. I'd never remember at the end of the day but it only takes a couple of minutes a few times a day to do that. I