PDA

View Full Version : My own DD playing up

Shamai
24-09-2012, 07:20 PM
My gorgeous girl is slowly turning into a little monster and its breaking my heart. She is 4.4yo and has just started reception school which she really enjoys, been at the school's nursery for the past year. Basically she is getting quite resentful of the minded children I look after and making unkind comments towards them which have totally shocked me! I just feel like I'm always asking her to behave, its obviously for attention but I just don't know how to handle it anymore. I've tried talking to her and always make time for her at the weekend which she calls "Mummy time" but she just doesn't seem a happy bunny during the week and bursts into tears at the slightest thing. I appreciate starting school is a major upheaval in her little life along with seeing me go back home with another child after dropping her at school which is hard for her. Has anyone else experienced this with their own child and can offer me any advice on how I can support her. Its really getting me down :ohdear:

The Juggler
24-09-2012, 09:36 PM
aww bless her heart. it probably is the upheaval of starting school and being tired - it's a very emotional time. she is probably thinking all those children mummy minds are at home with mummy all day and I have to go to school.

what she has to understand though is that mummy can mind and pick her up from school OR mummy can go out to work and then a childminder will have to pick her up from school.

I don't know what to suggest other than saying the above in language she can understand and then continuing with mummy time but not giving any leeway to her on the unkindness or the behaviour.

sorry hon. hopefully she will settle down.

VeggieSausage
25-09-2012, 08:42 AM
Just gone through dd starting reception last year and i agree she is probably absolutely exhausted with starting school and taking it out on everything at home. My dd did the same and I did a big sorting out of her room with her where everything in the house that was hers that she did not want mindees to play with I put in her room and after school said she could go up to her room and play if she wanted rather then being down with mindees all the time. It is hard for them i think :(

Katiekoo
25-09-2012, 08:53 AM
I'm having the exact same thing, my dd is a lovely soul but she is sooo tired from starting school she is sniping at the little ones and getting over excited/ bursting into tears for no no reason. It looks like she's grumpy or burst into tears over nothing, but then I realise it's not over nothing, it's because she is so tired she doesn't know how to cope.
I've started getting dh to take her to school, that helps, she doesn't have that reminder that I'm at home with other children, it makes dh a tiny bit late for work but he loves it.
I do have to find a way of keeping her happy when the little ones get collected though, she goes a bit crazy for attention!

Maza
25-09-2012, 09:05 AM
I'm having the exact same thing with my DD. She is almost 4 and has just started nursery. It is heart breaking because I know that if I didn't have my mindees I wouldn't need to be 'reprimanding' her over lots of little things, but I guess it's also a learning opportunity for her about give and take. Great advice already given. I need to get her to help sort out toys which she doesn't mind mindees having, because each time I give them something she swears it's her favourite toy, even though I know it sooo isn't! Good luck.

FussyElmo
25-09-2012, 10:32 AM
Perhaps stop calling the weekend mummy time. As in her head she gets 2 days mummy time and the mindees get 5. So this might explain why she is unhappy in the week.

They are so exhausted after a busy day my ds is in y1 and we are adjusting for him again :)