PDA

View Full Version : Puddings/desserts?

It's a small world
24-09-2012, 07:18 PM
Hi

Just took on 2 new mindees and have to provide evening meals - these are going to be something simple, quick or something I can prepare in advance or freeze as only have them for 1hour from school pick up to dropping them back at home. Working on a four week menu where its something different each night. I was just wondering do ou provide desserts or puddings and if so what ? Other than yoghurts as these tend to be part of my snacks as I have one VERY fussy eater so dropped yoghurts at lunchtime and placed it in snacks..

Advice and ideas welcome xx

EmmaReed84
24-09-2012, 07:21 PM
I don't usually do puddings/desserts. Probably once a month do the children get an "afters" with me. I feed mine at 4.30pm they go home by 5pm and I know they get a small fruit snack at home. If I have later mindees, then I give them from fruit at about 6pm or some toast if they are still hungry.

If we have a baking day then they get that for an afters.

LittleLadybirds
24-09-2012, 07:23 PM
Yoghurt, fruit, cake, jelly, fruity waffles, fruity trifle, icecream

I have a 5 week menu that you should be able to open and have a look at :)

jaswinder bedi
24-09-2012, 07:23 PM
Fruit tin, custard, yoghurt tubes! Jelly, rice pudding, FRESH FRUIT!!!! :DCake, choclate sandwich yum yum!!! :clapping:Or jam sandwich or bap, or.... Brochio, light snack and filling oh yes also you could do fresh banana milkshake..... It all works and is time saving which we all need. Plenty of choice........ It all depends how long the child is at your setting.

If child does not like any of these i am sorry, but we have to ask parent to send in some snack with their child that they like.

Hope you find it useful:thumbsup: x

cathtee
24-09-2012, 07:24 PM
I don't do desserts either, if they are still hungry later i give them some fruit, as most of mine have another meal when they go home

loocyloo
24-09-2012, 07:25 PM
goodness, thats a quick turnaround, especially as you're taking them home too!

pudding wise we generally ( 2 or 3 nights of the week ) do yogurt with fruit or toppings. sometimes frozen fromage frais tube things, fruit salad, jelly, choc/lemon/strawberry mousse, creme caramel, ice cream/sorbet, sponge with custard, fruit crumble, fruit pies, waffles or pancakes with sauce, angel delight, custard on its own, rice pudding. cakes/biscuits etc if we've made some that day. the other week i made a big jam tart and everyone had a slice!

or there is always the choice of just fruit.

It's a small world
24-09-2012, 07:25 PM
Yoghurt, fruit, cake, jelly, fruity waffles, fruity trifle, icecream

I have a 5 week menu that you should be able to open and have a look at :)

ooh thank you. Decided if I do this meal planner ~(as never provided evening meals before so new to it all ) Thought I could have a shopping list for each week and will keep me organised and know what everyone is having each day :)

Gosh thank you everyone ...how quick were those responses. Yes a quick turnaround. Pick up at 3.30 by the time got everyone home by 3.50-3.55. Mum asked me to provide evening meals so DH I should charge as most people round here do , so I did mum happy then tonight dropped them home (mum doesnt drive) and she asked if I had fed them :huh::huh: My meals so far are- pasta/noodles/soup/jacket pots/pies -made in advance/pizza/ beans on toast etc where possible homemade- means I get to feed my children early too giving us more time at night together. So Im happy.:)

hectors house
24-09-2012, 07:28 PM
My mindees love tinned tapioca and rice pudding, custard, jelly, layers of fromage frais and blueberries with custard on top and sprinkles (special treat), lots of fresh fruit with all puddings. I have one who is lactose intolerant, so he has soya desserts (in the free from section of supermarket), soya or lactose free yoghurts, angel delight made with lactose free milk or jelly.

I only have mindees up to 3 times a week - and they don't mind if they repeat a pudding during week, I don't do a menu in advance and mindees often choose which dessert they would like (other than jelly made in advance)

jaswinder bedi
24-09-2012, 07:30 PM
I give light snack as possible its not worth it to give them big snack they will be full up. They go home and have their evening dinner too!!!:panic:

It's a small world
24-09-2012, 07:34 PM
I give light snack as possible its not worth it to give them big snack they will be full up. They go home and have their evening dinner too!!!:panic:

Im provding evening meal :) and due to short time wondered if it was worth it as didn't want to rush them.. think depending on what dinner is will decide on whether or not they get dessert. Its a new learning curve for me..time will tell on whats the best thing to do xxx

loocyloo
24-09-2012, 07:52 PM
i would have a chat to mum about the time constraint of giving the children tea, as its not just her children who have to rush, but any others that you need to take in the car with you to drop home.

maybe you could give them a big snack as opposed to a meal?

we have tea at 4.30, any earlier and everyone is hungry at bedtime, any later and i'm rushing to get people finished! i have a 'no collection' rule for those children having tea between 4.30 & 5.15 !!! ;) they either go before and don't have tea, or after! mindees who just have snack might go earlier, but we still don't have snack until 4.30!

It's a small world
24-09-2012, 07:57 PM
i would have a chat to mum about the time constraint of giving the children tea, as its not just her children who have to rush, but any others that you need to take in the car with you to drop home.

maybe you could give them a big snack as opposed to a meal?

we have tea at 4.30, any earlier and everyone is hungry at bedtime, any later and i'm rushing to get people finished! i have a 'no collection' rule for those children having tea between 4.30 & 5.15 !!! ;) they either go before and don't have tea, or after! mindees who just have snack might go earlier, but we still don't have snack until 4.30!

I actually feed them around 4.15- simple light teas easy to make. Leave my house about 4.55 for home as only 10mins away in car and only have my own 2 children and they prefer to eat early as used to care for mindees that didnt leave till 6pm and I didnt feed them and my children were starving. So them eating early is ok and they have a light snack later on. The mindees are siblings so 2 siblings and my own 2. portions are not huge but enough for them. I don't mind making them its no hardship just thought I would prefer them to have a meal without afters but didnt want to appear harsh !!!!