PDA

View Full Version : Caring for older children

sarah707
24-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Do you care for children who have reached puberty?

If you do, did you know that the Childcare Register requirements state that you must have an adult first aid certificate as well as paediatric?

The Childcare Register requirements have been updated -

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/guide-registration-childcare-register

Hth :D

The Juggler
24-09-2012, 09:40 PM
thanks Sarah. Interestingly the last time I did my first aid (last year) the course covered both adult and baby which is good :thumbsup:

freckleonear
24-09-2012, 10:08 PM
I've just done my paediatric first aid last week and was told it covers me for adults as well.

sharonmanc
24-09-2012, 10:37 PM
Wow, thanks, I don't yet. I am sure that LA approved first aid courses in future will have to consider this, well I hope they do

AliceK
25-09-2012, 07:12 AM
Do we have to have a seperate certificate for this? The paediatric course I have done using the same company each time is aimed at children and adults, but my certificate just says Paediatric First Aid course?

xxx

JCrakers
25-09-2012, 07:23 AM
Wow didn't know that.

I haven't cared for any yet only my own DS so will keep this in mind when my mindees get older.

Playmate
25-09-2012, 08:07 AM
A 12 hours first aid course covers adult first aid with additional paediatrics, therefore our certificate covers both. The reason it is called a paediatric cert is to identify that it covers children as well as adults. Therefore if you have done a 12 hour course you will be covered by your current certs :D

AliceK
25-09-2012, 08:28 AM
A 12 hours first aid course covers adult first aid with additional paediatrics, therefore our certificate covers both. The reason it is called a paediatric cert is to identify that it covers children as well as adults. Therefore if you have done a 12 hour course you will be covered by your current certs :D

Phew, thank goodness :thumbsup:

xx

sarah707
25-09-2012, 08:35 AM

Not necessarily according to a first aid trainer I have spoken to about this one...

Some do cover adults - but if it's not stated on your certificate then you should check.

The wording in the Childcare Register requirements states -

Who needs paediatric and who needs adult first aid certificates?

The need for a paediatric or an adult first aid certificate will depend on the ages of the children you care for. If you care for children who have not yet reached puberty you should have a paediatric first aid certificate. If you care for children who have reached puberty you should have an adult first aid certificate. If you care for a wide age range of children, you may need to have, or employ staff with, both adult and paediatric training.

This does seem to suggest it might in some cases be a separate certificate :D

Mouse
25-09-2012, 08:47 AM

I know our first aid courses cover adults & children, but the certificates specifically say Paediatric First Aid. I wonder if they could change the wording? We've done the correct training, but don't have the required wording on the certificate :huh: