PDA

View Full Version : Help13month old head butting

sharonmanc
24-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Mum informed me this morning that little one has started head butting. She started smacking last week, which I know cane a normal behaviour when frustrated with trying to communicate. Little one is lovely and so is mum and dad. I have never come across head butting before, posting this as she has done it twice to me today, oncewhen I was holding her into my shoulder, and once while she was happily playing she just came over and did it to my thigh, then gave me kisses and loves 2minutes later. My nephew 17months is a biter but this has flummoxed me lol

Any input appreciated, will be doing some research tonight

katie..
24-09-2012, 02:43 PM
my dughter started to do this a few months ago and i found telling her to stop made her do it more. its to grab attention (even though they get it in bundles) so all i did was completly ignore her and she soon stopped.

sharonmanc
24-09-2012, 04:27 PM
Thank you. She gets oodles of attention so was stumped, but like you say with your little girl, Sheridan too, so probably a phase,she is ever so lovely, so did not expect her to do this. She did it again this afternoon, and looked at me and waited to see what I would do, and I ignored and distracted her, which worked :thumbsup:m

sarah707
24-09-2012, 05:16 PM
She is very small to be doing something like that for attention! I wonder who she has learned it from... does she have older siblings or cousins??

You are doing the right things - reward and praise the positive and where possible ignore and distract the negative. :D

sharonmanc
24-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Sarah, I have been thinking on that myself, she is an only child, but they have 2 dogs at home. I am wondering if she is copying their behaviour, like when dogs nudge you for attention. She puts her mouth downtown the dish. When eating occasionally like the dogs do when they eat from the bowl, have had that sounds bad, but she has grown up around them and adores. Them so wondering if she is copying them, she canbaby sign and picks up things really easily