PDA

View Full Version : How much holidays do you take in a year?

clorogue
24-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Just wondered how much holidays you take in a year.

Thank you!

silvermist
24-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Hiya, I had a week in July, a week in August, a week in October and will be closing for two weeks over Christmas and new year. Hope that helps xx

Tazmin68
24-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Hi
I take between Christmas and new year off. Two Fridays in April and October so we can have a weekend away and a full week off in June but next year we are away whit week and the week after first time in ten years having two weeks.
Debbie

AliceK
24-09-2012, 12:44 PM
I take 20 days plus bank holidays. It's not enough really.

xxx

Velleity
24-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Just a week that I had in August for me.

bunyip
24-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Just wondered how much holidays you take in a year.

Thank you!

None. Can't afford to. Did I not mention, I'm a childminder? :p

adele1985
24-09-2012, 12:58 PM
this year i took 2 long weekends (friday to monday) and taking a week in christmas

i try to only take long weekends off as cant really afford to take more as my partner is self employed too :)

Pipsqueak
24-09-2012, 01:11 PM
Depends... up to 25 days plus bank hols....

FussyElmo
24-09-2012, 01:14 PM
13 weeks - Im term time only :thumbsup::jump for joy::thumbsup:

sharonmanc
24-09-2012, 01:15 PM
I take 5weeks, but work them around bank holidays as I dont work them. Will be taking 2weeks at Xmas party, I have one full timer, and my before after schoolers are term time only, works well for me so I can spend some time with my own little ones.

loocyloo
24-09-2012, 01:17 PM

:laughing: thats not fair!!!!

i take 4 weeks holiday - one at easter, 2 in august and a week between christmas & new year, plus bank holidays, plus a few other odd days here & there! i'd go potty not knowing when i next had some time off.

Bear23
24-09-2012, 01:18 PM
usually 5 weeks, this year i've had none, just taking christmas off xx

stargazer1
24-09-2012, 01:24 PM
I take 2 weeks in August when we go on our holiday and I close over the Christmas school holiday. I also reserve the right to take any extra days as I need to subject to sufficient notice being given. (Haven't had to do that yet tho).

LauraW
24-09-2012, 01:26 PM
Generally 2 weeks in August and 2 Weeks at Christmas and any bank holidays :)

amanda1309
24-09-2012, 01:37 PM
I take 6 weeks, 2 at Xmas and other 4 spread throughout the year.

Cammie Doodle
24-09-2012, 01:46 PM
4 weeks holiday (but only took 3 last year) and setting is closed over Christmas and New Year

Pixie dust
24-09-2012, 01:53 PM
I have only taken 1 week in August this year and then will be closed between Christmas and new year but I havent been working full time this year due to drop in children. I do normally have more time off.

kellib
24-09-2012, 02:01 PM
I say I'm term time only but usually do a few days here and there in the holidays to help parents out if need be. Get the majority of school holidays off though :thumbsup:

Always take 2 weeks in May - June time and another 2 in October (but one week of that is half term), I'm taking the 2 weeks at Christmas this year and taking a few days off in Feb (again over half term so doesn't really count)

I'd go mad without my holidays to look forward to! :D

Chimps Childminding
24-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Closed for 2 weeks over Christmas! Don't work Bank Holidays and then between 2-4 weeks throughout the year depending on whether we go away or not!!!

clorogue
24-09-2012, 02:43 PM
so much variation - that has really helped! Do you have a 'holiday policy' as such written up. THank you all you wonderful people!

jane5
24-09-2012, 02:50 PM
Last year I took 4 weeks off and worked a couple of days over Christmas but this year I am taking 5 weeks, 2 weeks in May, a week in November and another few days here and there and I am taking Christmas eve untill 2nd Jan off.

ChocolateChip
24-09-2012, 03:29 PM
I tend to take a week at Easter, two weeks in the summer and the bit between Christmas and New year which usually works out about 10 days, also I don't work bank hols unless they want to pay me double time!
I am considering taking another week next year, maybe at October half term as I am really struggling to get things done as it is, my holidays are always full of 'jobs' that need doing! :rolleyes:
I do have a holiday policy, adapted it from one on Bromley.

clorogue
24-09-2012, 04:31 PM
I tend to take a week at Easter, two weeks in the summer and the bit between Christmas and New year which usually works out about 10 days, also I don't work bank hols unless they want to pay me double time!
I am considering taking another week next year, maybe at October half term as I am really struggling to get things done as it is, my holidays are always full of 'jobs' that need doing! :rolleyes:
I do have a holiday policy, adapted it from one on Bromley.

I've searched on the site and can't find it - can you tell me what it is exactly called. Thank you.

tess1981
24-09-2012, 05:05 PM
i take 24 paid days holidays... all public and bank hols week in july week in aug and rest over Christmas... but term time at the moment now so i have lots but not all paid now

Tatjana
24-09-2012, 05:35 PM
I haven't taken a single day off since last October when I returned to cm after maternity. However I have had time off as one mindee is tto and one only comes 2 days a week, which was great over the summer holidays!

cathtee
24-09-2012, 07:49 PM
I have 5 weeks and all bank holidays off although some of the bank hols fall in my hols :thumbsup:

jaswinder bedi
24-09-2012, 08:55 PM
Who said you are allowed to take any holidays at all in 52 weeks!!!! Lol.... We are human beings and allowed to take holidays!!! Any time you like!! It all depends when you need a holiday all you need give parents four week notice. I take my holiday christmas, august, and easter

emmalourow
24-09-2012, 09:02 PM
I take 20 days plus bank holidays unpaid def not enough though will be changing to 5 weeks plus bank hols and christmas next year:)

The Juggler
24-09-2012, 09:53 PM
I say I'm term time only but usually do a few days here and there in the holidays to help parents out if need be. Get the majority of school holidays off though :thumbsup:

Always take 2 weeks in May - June time and another 2 in October (but one week of that is half term), I'm taking the 2 weeks at Christmas this year and taking a few days off in Feb (again over half term so doesn't really count)

I'd go mad without my holidays to look forward to! :D

I'm the same, mainly t-t only but work 2 days each hols for my only all year round family so I get quite a bit of time off. Then I close at xmas and 2 weeks in summer.:)

LittleLegsCM
25-09-2012, 06:58 AM
I'm off tomorrow, thursday & Friday for the first time all year and that will be it until next year :( Just dont have enough children on my books to be able to afford to take holiday sadly x

Playmate
25-09-2012, 07:51 AM
We have a contractual policy which basically lays done the terms of the contract. This is given to parents at initial visit so there is no misunderstanding when they come to sign contracts. It sets out all fees and holidays etc. We take 4 weeks holiday at half pay across the year usually 1 week at Easter, 2 in the summer and 1 in the Autumn. We close for the period between Xmas and new year with no fee. We also set our hoidays quite along way in advance so parents have huge amounts of time to sort themselves. :D

ChocolateChip
25-09-2012, 08:44 AM
Not sure if this has worked...

Ballette
25-09-2012, 08:48 AM

:cool::thumbsup: Wish I was!

jake
25-09-2012, 10:21 AM
Can i just ask if you all charge for your holidays? Thanks jake

marnieb
25-09-2012, 10:31 AM

Personally - I don't - because when ds went to nursery it used to really pee me off that i paid for bank hols & a week at Xmas when they were closed, so I don't charge at all for mine.

I haven't had enough time off this year - just the Bank Hols & 3 random days so far, so i've taken the October half term and almost 2 weeks at Xmas. I am so ill and run down, my body needs a rest!!!!

FussyElmo
25-09-2012, 10:35 AM

As it is my choice not to work the holidays I dont - but I do average out the fees over 12 months so im not "wageless" as such. This hasnt bit me on the bottom yet :thumbsup:

kellib
25-09-2012, 10:36 AM

I don't charge for any of my holidays.

Ripeberry
25-09-2012, 11:18 AM
I'm off tomorrow, thursday & Friday for the first time all year and that will be it until next year :( Just dont have enough children on my books to be able to afford to take holiday sadly x
But taking a holiday does not have to mean going abroad or going somewhere.
Don't you ever just want to have time off just for the sake of it? :(

Chimps Childminding
25-09-2012, 11:49 AM

I don't charge for my holidays!!! I see it that if my service isn't available the parents have to find someone else and 2 of mine use another CM so would end up paying twice!!!

TheBTeam
25-09-2012, 12:49 PM
I take 2 weeks in August when we go on our holiday and I close over the Christmas school holiday. I also reserve the right to take any extra days as I need to subject to sufficient notice being given. (Haven't had to do that yet tho).

LOL, just read this and thought i am sure that i havent posted this, but it is about word for word what i was going to write! Although i have taken an odd day here and there over the years.

babs
25-09-2012, 01:17 PM
I close when the schools do at xmas go back in New year. its normally the only holiday i have apart from bank holidays. really should book more time as i put down 5 weeks a yr but never take them as feel guilty ..

sort of had last week off as two on holiday one with mum ss she just had baby so only work Mon - Fri 8.00 9.00 and Tuesday 7.30 -9 then 3.00 - 6.00

Tealady
25-09-2012, 01:31 PM
I have four weeks, plus I'm closed from Christmas Eve to the 2nd of January

I don't charge for my holidays. I don't have a policy but it is written into my contract as follows:

• The Childminder shall take up to four weeks unpaid holiday per contract period.
• The Childminder shall not be available on Christmas Eve (24th December) or the three working days that typically fall between Christmas and New Year.
Additionally if the 24th December falls on a Tuesday then The Childminder will be unavailable on the 23rd December and should the 1st January fall on a Thursday then The Childminder will be unavailable on the 2nd January.
This is in addition to the four weeks above. There will be no charge for these days.
• There will be no charge for Public Holidays as the setting will be closed.
• The childminder will give one-month notice of time to be taken off.
• The childminder reserves the right to take additional unpaid time off at short notice should unusual personal circumstances arise, for example, a funeral, hospital visit etc.

Jods
25-09-2012, 04:07 PM
4 weeks, but all monies are proratered through 48 weeks over 12 months so paid same all year round, I do my years holidays in Jan, and its up to the parents to co-ordinate at their end. I dont work Mondays so no time is needed to be taken off for doctors etc x

I had my first emergency on Thursday night, got home at 2am, texted parents straight away to say I will be off on Friday, spoke to mum this morning and she is having next Wed as an extra instead or I would have refunded her as is per my contracts x

lisa1968
25-09-2012, 06:38 PM
I have a week at easter, 2 weeks in the summer,a week at october half term,12 days at xmas and all the bank hols.
I work for my holidays!
I don't have a holidays policy-not heard of that before-but I do state in my contracts that I dont charge for my own holidays or bank hols then I give parents my holida.y dates at the start of the year

clorogue
25-09-2012, 07:33 PM
Not sure if this has worked...

Yes it has thank you so so much!

clorogue
25-09-2012, 07:37 PM

I don't charge for my holidays. I don't have a policy but it is written into my contract as follows:

• The Childminder shall take up to four weeks unpaid holiday per contract period.
• The Childminder shall not be available on Christmas Eve (24th December) or the three working days that typically fall between Christmas and New Year.
Additionally if the 24th December falls on a Tuesday then The Childminder will be unavailable on the 23rd December and should the 1st January fall on a Thursday then The Childminder will be unavailable on the 2nd January.
This is in addition to the four weeks above. There will be no charge for these days.
• The childminder reserves the right to take additional unpaid time off at short notice should unusual personal circumstances arise, for example, a funeral, hospital visit etc.

That is so helpful too - thank you so much

Carol
25-09-2012, 08:18 PM
I have Whitsun Week, 2 weeks in the summer and October Half Term. Plus almost 2 weeks xmas.

I too dont charge for my holidays as its my choice and they would have to find alternative care.

We all need a break, and I enjoy mine!!!

Carol

Chimps Childminding
26-09-2012, 04:35 PM

All my parents have been with me for a while and are really good, but I really like this statement, and will add it to my Welcome letter for any new clients - if you don't mind :littleangel:

migimoo
26-09-2012, 04:46 PM
I'm taking xmas eve,xmas day,boxing day and new years day as holiday, 10 days in June and the last 2 weeks in July,all unpaid(I do open bank hols but at an enhanced rate)....although according to one mum "we're obviously paying you too much with all these holidays you keep having"......erm,really?!:eek:

JCrakers
26-09-2012, 06:51 PM
I've got 2 weeks at Xmas, 1 at Easter and 2 in July booked off. All unpaid. Plus bank hols

I'm lucky enough to have 16 kids on my books so I bleeding well need my hols, especially with a day like today :D phew

Tina O
26-09-2012, 08:03 PM
I have 7 weeks; 2 x Easter,(We have our family holiday) 3 x August (but I do charity work) 2 x Xmas (but I will cover for parents if they have duties)

All unpaid, but I'm in a situation where all my parents work for the same boss - the Army - so most have the same holidays anyway.... x :laughing:

clorogue
26-09-2012, 09:38 PM
i really didn't expect such a terrific response - really got me thinking. I was thinking of taking more holidays as in years before I have only had two weeks and bank holidays if that, this year I have only had two weeks and taking a further week in October. Really is reassuring to know that so many are taking this much and more and is almost the norm. Holiday policy here I come!