PDA

View Full Version : hoarding child

gegele
24-09-2012, 10:29 AM
i have a 30months old who for better word become a hoarder lately. he picks toys and walk around with them. He goes to all chidren and try to take some more...
he thing that annoys me is that he doesn't play. he doesn't do anything with the toys he has. i put some bags out thinking he was in a phase to carry things but he will fill the bag, carry the bag AND toys in his hands...

what do i do? do i support it? do i stop it?

is there a better word than hoarding? is this common?

LittleLadybirds
24-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Could you perhaps introduce 'sorting' activities for him to do. Give a pile of mixed things, and some boxes to sort into. Give an idea of what you would sort them into - maybe 'oh look, does the car go in there? and how about the blocks; I might put it in there'. and then leave him to it. Just make sure he has the space where he can do it undisturbed, and then somewhere to store the boxes for a little bit once he has finished

Maybe a good obs opportunity too :)

And perhaps some simple taking in turns games, where he can't have everything and it's not always his turn!

How old are your other mindees?

tess1981
24-09-2012, 11:42 AM
cant really give advice how to deal with it but it does seem common have seen several children in my care and others care do it

gegele
24-09-2012, 11:46 AM
the other 2 are 19months and 15months but today we had visit from friend minder ( we do this every week, taking turn hosting :-) ) who had a 22months old and 30 months old.... it was a nightmare!!!

he went after everything everyone had, tried to give him a boxe of zoo animal while little one had cars and buggies but within second he was trying to get others stuff so tried a swap. as soon as one of them arrive near the zoo box he scream and wanted the zoo boxe!!!

:angry: trying to say the least!!! really long 90min!!!

i tried the sorting as when he build tower he tend to sort colour but NO he has to hold. sometimes he hold things in 1 arm and do everything 1armed... not always practical :(

just hope it'll get out of it soon :(

Ripeberry
24-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Sounds like some sort of 'Schema'. My own daughter now 7yrs old used to line up every single toy in the whole house from the age of 23 months. She still does it but not as often.
She is good at being tidy though ;) :thumbsup:

sarah707
24-09-2012, 05:06 PM
I have had lots of children go through this phase over the years and it can be very frustrating for other children and adults watching them!

They seem compelled to carry things around often tripping up or dropping things - like the mouse with the big pile of cheese in Cinderella do you remember that scene? :laughing:

It's a phase and it will pass for something else. You just have to be vigilant to make sure nobody else is hurt.

Hugs xx