PDA

View Full Version : There's no harm in 2 hot meals a day is there?

new to all this
22-09-2012, 06:07 PM
I'm just wondering what everyones routine is if they serve a hot meal. Do you serve at lunch or dinner? I want to serve as dinner as that seems normal to me plus it means if we have after schoolers and the have had a packed lunch they will still have a hot meal and even if they didn't it's surely not going to do them any harm to have 2.
Oh prefers the hot meal at lunch.
What's the pro's of each?

cathtee
22-09-2012, 06:28 PM
Hi ususally do cold lunch with the occasional hot and cooked tea, although all the ones at the moment who have tea also have schoold dinners, I was going to change but new lo's starting in a week will need cooked tea as sandwiches at lunch and mom doesn't get home til 6.

I think its up to you and the needs of your lo's

gegele
22-09-2012, 07:06 PM
I'm french so i do cooked lunch AND cooked diner :-)

so won't have a french eating sandwich all year ah ah ah ah :thumbsup:

Tatjana
22-09-2012, 07:17 PM
I do simple lunches which are sometimes cold, like a sandwich or things like omelette, beans or cheese on toast, grilled sardines, bagel pizzas.

I always do a hot meal for dinner.

hth

LittleLadybirds
22-09-2012, 07:22 PM
I do a proper cooked meal at lunchtime, and then a mixture of things for tea. Somedays its jacket potatoes, bean on toast, quiche with salad, fish fingers etc...

Just find something that works for you, and that you have time to do. I wouldn't have time to do another fully blown meal at teatime, but my snack teas are more than substantial :)

AliceK
22-09-2012, 07:28 PM
I do something like sandwiches, something on toast, soup, for lunch and then a proper cooked meal for tea. My DS has a hot school lunch and then also has a hot cooked meal here for tea. I like that :thumbsup:

xxx

Velleity
22-09-2012, 07:52 PM
I do two hot meals generally as they never eat a huge amount of anything anyway!

Breakfast is often a hot meal too lol

hectors house
22-09-2012, 08:18 PM
Someone put a link on here recently for Schools Food Trust and they gave sample menus - I was surprised to see that they tended to favour a hot lunch and a hot tea.

I give children a hot lunch (of whatever we had the night before - stew, spag bol, roast etc), and then do sandwiches or cheese on toast, fruit, yoghurts etc for tea or maybe in winter do soup and bread, scrambled egg or beans on toast etc.

Just do what works for you - I don't do a cooked tea as my husband doesn't get in until gone 6 and last of mindees go by 5.30 pm.

BucksCM
22-09-2012, 08:27 PM
I have always done a cold lunch and full cooked dinner. I'm lucky that dh is normally able to join us for the evening meal. Last mindee leaves at 6

kindredspirits
23-09-2012, 05:46 AM
When I was growing up I had a hot breakfast, hot lunch and a hot dinner! :D I weigh next to nothing so no long term harm done

marnieb
23-09-2012, 08:23 AM
I do 2 hot meals a day, they have sandwiched maybe once a fortnight. I think as my own 2 prefer hot meals I just find it easier! And, of course it keeps the parents happy too!!!!

lynnfi
23-09-2012, 09:54 AM
2 hot meals is best iywmo, the only drawback is you have more work!

I love cooking and devising healthy (and tasty) menus, and french as well so sandwich not an option for me; in France a sandwich is once or twice a year when we go on a picnic. Always 2 cooked meals a day.