PDA

View Full Version : booster seats being phased out...

lisa1968
22-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Went to a safeguarding event this morning.A lady on the road safety stand told us that,by spring 2013, booster seats could no longer be used in a car and if you had children that needed them then would have to use the ones with the backs on!
my argument was that,as I drive a minibus,there is no way I could get 3 of them in a row across the seats-I would struggle with 2!! And I'm sure there are many cars that won't accomadate 3 either!
This is the first I'd heard of this new 'rule'-none of the other minders who were there knew about it either!

Can anybody enlighten me?

LittleLadybirds
22-09-2012, 02:48 PM
I haven't heard that, and just did a quick google search, but nothing is coming up about it.

There is a bit about booster seats that are only for group, or group3 are not being made anymore - they are all for groups 2+3, or groups 1,2+3.

Most cars struggle to fit 2 child seats & a booster seat, let alone 3 child seats with the backs on!

lesley
22-09-2012, 06:17 PM
I was at that event too

googled and found this

http://www.which.co.uk/baby-and-child/baby-transport/guides/how-to-fit-a-child-car-seat/backless-booster-seats/

Lesley

christine e
22-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Just been on the THINK website which is the government website and cannot see anything on there
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Yourchildshealthandsafety/Roadandtravelsafety/DG_10037077

blue bear
22-09-2012, 06:44 PM
I thought I had read that they were stopping manufacture of them this September (maybe I've made that up or dreamt it? ) but not read anything to suggest we won't still be able to use them .Britax have stopped manufacturing the backless booster and says on the web site they are expecting their rules to change (google stopping backless booster)

k1rstie
22-09-2012, 08:42 PM
Thanks Lesley for your link.

It will make life difficult for many childminders I think.

samb
22-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Wow thanks for letting us know. I have 1 backless booster that I use for either my ad hoc 7 yr old who comes literally 16 days a year or for my dd (nearly 7) when she has a friend round and I put the friend in her high back booster. I just keep it in the boot in case I need it. Shame cos I won't be able to keep a spare high back in the boot just in case. :(

rickysmiths
22-09-2012, 09:08 PM
http://reviews.asda.com/1440-en_gb/002679224/nania-racer-sp-car-seat-noir-gris-reviews/reviews.htm

I haven't used backless boosters for years because they are too wide for me get get them and two Britax seats along the back of my car. However I can get one of the above with two Britax Super Cruiser class 2 seats.

They are good because you can use them for 9kg up and for the older child you take the 5 point harness off and they are safer than the backless boosters.

sharonmanc
22-09-2012, 10:48 PM
I have that seat to Ricky, I can fit this in with 2normal car seats in my jazz along the back seat

kindredspirits
23-09-2012, 05:44 AM
Ithink a lot depends on how they are used. For example I have used a backless booster in the middle seat before and you must have the side impact protection from the other two proper car seats on either side. If you used one next to a window then of course you are going to run the risk of a child's head coming into contact with the window in an accident.

muffins
23-09-2012, 06:47 AM
It has been my understanding (& not sure why, where or how:blush:) that this has been on the cards for a few years, they just havent ever set a date as such!

Bluebell
23-09-2012, 12:57 PM
I have to say how amazed I normally am by people using just booster seats for chidren as young as 2/3 and for many children not even a booster seat! I'm pretty sure that before the new booster seats and high back booster seats came in then children would be expected to sit in a car seat with 5 point harness until about 4? My nearly 8 year old will sit on a booster seat if swopping cars but normally will sit on highback booster seat and I try and keep children in the 5 point harnesses until they are nearly 4 depending on their size. I just feel that whatever is the safest option is what they should in. I drove a 3 year old home and I have a car seat that is suitable for 9 months to 4 years and she didn't want to go in it because she said it was for babies!

nikki thomson
23-09-2012, 01:15 PM
Tbh unless you buy a really good high back booster with side impact protection then they offer little protection over just a booster seat in a crash, a lot Of them are cheap plastic or polystyrene so I don't see the point.
My 4 and 6 yr olds go in a high back booster but there britax and grow with your child, I'm happy with that my 4 yr old hasn't been in a seat with straps for about 2yrs she wouldn't fit for a start and there's no need at her age,but each to there own and all that. X

Bluebell
23-09-2012, 01:31 PM
I agree - I probably didn't explain myself very well in my last post - my 4 year old is also too tall to go in his 5 point harness seat and has been in a high back booster for at least a year - he's 5 soon. I also agree with the special high impact sides that Britax have. But the other high back boosters must have some benefit as the WHICH report didn't seem to specify that in their report? (or did I miss that bit) what I meant was that if the child DOES fit in the car seats and are in an age/height/weight appropriate seat then 5 point harness will always be safer than just a seat belt fixings.

loocyloo
23-09-2012, 03:20 PM
i think the thing with the backed boosters is that the seatbelt comes through a fixing on the back of the seat and therefore is closer fitted to the childs shoulder, than when using the seatbelt from its usual point for adults.

i use backed boosters all the time, BUT i have 2 booster seats that i use when i don;t have enough backed boosters, and it is the tallest children who use them.

hectors house
23-09-2012, 03:54 PM
I use my booster seat - up to the table with a wide piece of elastic round it and under chair to stop it moving, as an emergency table booster when I have 3 sitting up - normally just have 2 and highchair, but sometimes if someone swaps days, I need 3 chair boosters! So ladies don't despair, you can recycle your car boosters if the rules change!

Ali56
23-09-2012, 09:18 PM
I heard a while ago I think that britax were stoppping making backless boosters.
I use the graco high backed boosters and with a little jiggling can get 3 of them in the middle row of seats if need be!

freckleonear
23-09-2012, 09:19 PM
I haven't heard anything about booster seats - but I do know that EU law is changing in January 2013 to make rear facing car seats mandatory until at least 15 months. It makes sense that they would change the rules about booster seats at the same time. However, current law makes exceptions for situations where using the normally required carseats just isn't possible (e.g. 3 in the back of some cars) so I expect there will be a similar clause in the new rules.

hectors house
24-09-2012, 07:00 AM
I haven't heard anything about booster seats - but I do know that EU law is changing in January 2013 to make rear facing car seats mandatory until at least 15 months. It makes sense that they would change the rules about booster seats at the same time. However, current law makes exceptions for situations where using the normally required carseats just isn't possible (e.g. 3 in the back of some cars) so I expect there will be a similar clause in the new rules.

I generally use the parents own 1st stage rear facing seat belts and then move them into my 1st/2nd stage seat - I can't use mine in my car rear facing as the seatbelt in back isn't long enough to go round it and can't use in front as have air bag that can't be turned off. I really struggle with trying to do up seatbelt with rear facing seatbelts, as difficult to get hand in between seats with 3 seats in back, so I am always impatient for child to be correct weight to go in my seat forward facing - always taking into account head control etc. I love seats and booster seats with integral straps.