PDA

View Full Version : Payment before Registering?

BusyKids
22-09-2012, 08:32 AM
I'm just waiting for Ofsted now but I have people desperate for childcare. I'm doing some for free at the moment but my list is growing.
As I'm in the process can I take payment? All I found via Google is that I must apply to Ofsted if I want to take payment and I'm doing that. :)

cathtee
22-09-2012, 09:04 AM
Glad to hear that you are busy, not sure what the correct way to do this I'm sure someone will have the answer for you,

Good luck:)

Kiddleywinks
22-09-2012, 09:29 AM
Sorry, no.
You are not allowed to receive payment for looking after children in your home until Ofsted have approved you and you have received your certificate.
The process itself can take months, so just because you've started it doesn't mean anything - I know someone who 'started' over 3 years ago.... :rolleyes:

You ARE allowed to look after children over the age of 8 for no more than 2 hours, legally, but you would need to register yourself as self employed so you can declare your income, but parents won't be able to claim tax credits as you would still be an unregistered childcare provider.

I know this isn't going to be what you want to hear, but if you are serious about going into childcare you need to follow the rules like everyone else (no matter how frustrating it is)

I started the process in the April expecting to be done and dusted by the August ready for September.... Finally got the process finished after some surprises (Was waiting for my certificate to arrive, and got a letter saying I was disqualified instead :laughing: Long story and all sorted out now but was one hell of a shock at the time) in the December!

BusyKids
22-09-2012, 09:31 AM
I understand, and yes I don't want to do anything underhand but I thought I'd check :)