PDA

View Full Version : Too many toddler groups in a week?

nipper
21-09-2012, 12:58 PM
I look after a 15 month old, who has recently been to another childminder (don't ask me why) and it turns out that this childminder goes to soft play three times a week. Does this sound rather excessive to you?

mama2three
21-09-2012, 01:09 PM
It would be a lot for me - but not for a friend who has more of a mix of pt children.
It also depends on lots of other things - why is she going to the toddler group - is it to meet a particular need of a child for example. Im certainly trying to get out more into social settings atm as thats what my little boy mindee needs - to be able to develop confidence in larger groups .
It could even be for her own wellbeing! If theres a lack of different things to do in the area then going to toddlers may be her main 'link' with other adults and we all know we get lonely if we dont get any other interaction. .

nipper
21-09-2012, 01:11 PM
Yes, absolutely agree with you there but I think two of those days were when my mindee was attending and it was the same venue...which mum was worried about. With a mix of part-timers, I wouldn't see a problem at all.

singingcactus
21-09-2012, 01:17 PM
I now go to our soft play unit every day bar one. It is the only venue we have available. We go for messy play, craft club, preschool tots, and toddler tots. So I guess I would be seeing what was happening at the soft play each time before I considered judging whether it was too much or not.

Ripeberry
21-09-2012, 01:50 PM
I have to be out each and every day. I can't stand staying indoors whilst toddlers destroy the house :D ;) But its usually just in the morning, the afternoon is taken up with pre-school/school runs and getting tea ready.

nipper
21-09-2012, 01:52 PM
Mum has actually just told me that when she collected her daughter from one soft play area, the cm was sitting down drinking coffee with what seemed to her like very little interaction. If that's classed as social interaction (or not) through the eyes of a parent , then perhaps it's not as good as it seems.
I don't wish to (through this post) pass comment on anyone's own situation or set up, I merely wanted to find out what people thought.

mama2three
21-09-2012, 02:04 PM
Nipper I completely see what youre saying. There was obviously a problem here - but Id say it was in the communication between mum and minder. If mindees mum walked into toddler group on Tuesday she would have found me trying to distance myself from her child - infact avoiding interacting with him as much as possible. She would have expected that though - as I mentioned that his reliance on ' instructed play' ( not sure how else to explain it) as opposed to choosing his own activities and developing them is something we are working on.
Other times a parent may well have caught me having a coffee and chat whilst los played - but she couldnt have seen the previous 2 hours where Id been up to my eyes in shaving foam or whatever. All she sees is a snapshot of the day.
We all know there are cms who do switch off at toddler groups , and others who are great for the majority of the time but need to take 5 mins for themselves too.

WibbleWobble
21-09-2012, 02:51 PM
i go to two singing sessions at the library and a small select cm group (8 minders) in a local community centre. All my Los are part time and the LO who is here longest gets to go to all the groups.....i have planned this as he has had no interaction with other children and has speech delay....i hope being with other children will help him

i avoid softplay areas like the plague....i will probably go to one a few times a year....i like a local outdoors play area which is attached to a farm.

I do know of cms who go out everyday sometimes morning and afternoon and just sit and gossip with others .....ok i do go to the three sessions with cms but i can honestly say my bottom rarely gets to sit on a seat never mind actually having a drink!

wibble xxxx

PixiePetal
21-09-2012, 02:55 PM
I have part timers and try to go to soft play with each of them only once a fortnight or I would be there every day!

I have a lovely home with playroom and big garden so make the most of what we have

gegele
21-09-2012, 03:09 PM
i go out every morning, may this be indoor or outdoor toddler group, messy play or to an other minder with who we do crafts together and outings like zoo, beach...or swimming! I need to be out and so do the children, they get access for 2h to ressources i haven't got, big equipment.... they explore new enviroment and develop their confidence. they build trust and walk further and further away from me which is great achievement for my old screamers who had big attachment issues.

Daftbat
21-09-2012, 03:13 PM
I often go to 3 a week although I am only actually there for an hour each time due to working times. I go for lots of reasons:

It gets us out of the house for part of the day to interact with other children - particularly useful if you only have one mindee on some days

Different environments allow for different interaction with me e.g. more space, craft opportunities with other children rather than just one to one.

The journey to and from can be beneficial in incorporating EYFS ELG's - prompting discussions, taking photos, experiencing different forms of transport

I myself benefit from a little adult contact during the day - believe me, its essential sometimes:laughing: I also meet with other minders and we can act as a support group for eachother without having to schedule an evening meeting etc.

ziggy
21-09-2012, 03:28 PM
I have two 2yr olds every morning. We go to toddler group every wednesday. Swimming on Friday and this thursday we went to toddler session at soft play (which includes painting n singing sessions). Other mornings we go to park (weather permitting)

While at toddlers and soft play i spend some of the time drinking coffee and observing and some of the time joining in.

I guess it all depends how much time minder is chatting/drinking coffee and how much time interacting..

JCrakers
21-09-2012, 03:37 PM
I go out to toddler group 4 mornings out of 5.
I go stir crazy staying in :panic:

funemnx
21-09-2012, 05:35 PM
I have to admit I do take them out every morning (no full timers). To the park or toddler groups/soft play - we are very lucky here and no 2 days are the same. It depends on the weather. My house isn't so big - we play at home/garden in the afternoon and activities. If I'm honest it's partly for me - I see other CM to chat to and the children are happy. As a previous poster says, they get the chance to play with equipment we don't have at home. The other day at a group a Fire Engine came and the children were thrilled :)

Tatjana
21-09-2012, 07:13 PM
I have to be out each and every day. I can't stand staying indoors whilst toddlers destroy the house :D ;) But its usually just in the morning, the afternoon is taken up with pre-school/school runs and getting tea ready.

Same, I get cabin fever if I stay in all day..it makes for a very long day too. I totally understand the destroying the house thing. :panic: