PDA

View Full Version : Hypochondria Help

Blaze4509
21-09-2012, 09:54 AM
I care for a 5 year old girl who is always complaining of injury or illness, sometimes she say feels sick, has a headache or tummy ache but more often then not she will say her leg/arm hurts (but be able to run and play). She will say she has bumped her finger/arm but there won't be as much as a red mark. She also shows me the smallest old nearly healed, scratches and bruises saying they hurt. To be honest I don't believe her as it never lasts more then a few seconds (or as long as seems to suit her). But I'm at a lost as to how to react because I don't want to miss something if she really does hurt herself/feel ill. I've spoken to Mum and she says that she just likes the attention and they put plasters on her all the time. She does this several times a day most days.
Have you ever minded a child like this? How do you deal with it?

madmamma
21-09-2012, 11:49 AM
I've spoken to Mum and she says that she just likes the attention and they put plasters on her all the time.

Have you ever minded a child like this? How do you deal with it?

:rolleyes: to the plasters!

Haven't dealt with this myself but agree it's attention seeking, so, does she only get attention when she's hurt herself at home me thinks...

Try to lavish praise and acknowledgement on everything she says or does, I mean really go overboard and then play down the 'hurts and illnesses' with a quick look/check (Just in case) and an 'oh dear, never mind. Shall we do x or y today'
Hopefully in time you'll notice an improvement, and if not, maybe she's just one of them kids (My gran was, right up until the day she actually HAD something to be concerned about! :laughing:)

The Juggler
22-09-2012, 01:52 PM
good advice above. I agree totally. a quick 'oh dear' or 'thats all better now isn't it' and then talk about something else :thumbsup:

LittleLadybirds
22-09-2012, 02:09 PM
I suggest that you also keep a record of what she is saying is wrong, in case there is ever a child protection issue. It's very easy to assume that it's attention seeking, and for most of children it probably will be - but what about the ones who have more serious issues? You just never know, so be on the safeside and cover yourself.

mushpea
22-09-2012, 04:06 PM
I had one like this when she 'bumped' herself I used to just to look for the injury and if there was nothing there I would just say oh well nothing there so your fine,, when she said she felt ill I would make her sit away from the other children but where I could see her and tell her to just sit quietly incase she spread illness but also once she saw she was missing out the mysterious illness disapered rather quickly which is when I new she was really ok, at home mum would pamper and stick the tv on for her but after a while she realised that didnt work here so she stopped being ill