PDA

View Full Version : Termination advice please

ziggy
21-09-2012, 06:57 AM
I had thread on here asking do we need contracts. As friend had a parent who didnt want to sign new contract due to forth coming changes in her job.

Anyway parent signed contract few days ago. My friend found out yesterday that the parent has been to see 'unregistered/illegal minder' and said some rather unpleasant things about minder. Unknown to parent the 'illegal minder' is a aunt of my friend's husband!!!!

Parent has said my friend's house is dirty, she only feeds children processed food, she owes thousands of pounds to people and never pays her bills etc etc.

So, now husband doesnt want this woman in his house, which is very understandable. BUT if contract has just been signed what reason can friend give for immediate termination, as this parent is obviously not a very nice person and isnt going to just walk away.

Going to see friend this morning to see what her contract actually says. She wants me to help her write termination letter.

Advice most welcome. I have given immediate notice due to child's behaviour but never come across this before

JCrakers
21-09-2012, 07:10 AM
First time I read it (it's early) I thought the woman had said some bad things about the husbands aunt.
But after reading it a second time I see that the woman said some bad things to the aunt about the minder.

Why would someone sign a contract with your friend if they thought their house was dirty and she didn't feed the kids properly.... Strange

A tough one, I'm not sure.. Hope someone can help who has maybe had experience with this :D

sarah707
21-09-2012, 07:12 AM
You do not have to give a reason in writing beyond - change of circumstances.

However something like this would bother me and I would have to say verbally why I was so upset.

Hugs to your friend xx

mama2three
21-09-2012, 07:14 AM
Look through her policies too as well as the contract - is there anything maybe in the confidentiality one about maintaining the confidentaility of the minder?
then get her to speak to her insurer for proper advice , it may be that she cant act on ' hearsay' for example.

ziggy
21-09-2012, 07:32 AM
I suggested she just gives 4 wks notice as in contract. Although personally i told her to give notice weeks ago when parent made a fuss about signing contract and not paying holiday pay. Husband is adamant he wont have the parent back in the house though.

Sorry if i didnt explain situation very well, we live in tiny irish village and everyone is related to everyone else lol. I am so thankful i am an outsider with a good reputation and not related to anyone here!!

Thankfully i have also never had a difficult parent (yet)

ajc
21-09-2012, 08:13 AM
I have heard of something similar to this and my minder friend had a relative who was a solicitor who sent the bad mouther a letter regarding slander, as it can be so damaging to a business to have people talking like that. Sorry thats not much help with terminating the contract but might be something she could think of doing after if this woman is still causing trouble.

ziggy
21-09-2012, 08:21 AM
Good idea, being such a small village it's not nice.

Friend has had these children for years and i think parent is just looking for cheaper care elsewhere. Obviously the 'illegal minder' would probably just charge when children attended and hence it would be much cheaper for parent.

ziggy
21-09-2012, 03:22 PM
Called to see friend, apparently parent only signed minders copy of contract, wouldnt sign parent copy. So does this mean contract is invalid? If so, surely friend doesnt have to take children?

bunyip
21-09-2012, 07:44 PM
I had thread on here asking do we need contracts. As friend had a parent who didnt want to sign new contract due to forth coming changes in her job.

Anyway parent signed contract few days ago. My friend found out yesterday that the parent has been to see 'unregistered/illegal minder' and said some rather unpleasant things about minder. Unknown to parent the 'illegal minder' is a aunt of my friend's husband!!!!

Parent has said my friend's house is dirty, she only feeds children processed food, she owes thousands of pounds to people and never pays her bills etc etc.

So, now husband doesnt want this woman in his house, which is very understandable. BUT if contract has just been signed what reason can friend give for immediate termination, as this parent is obviously not a very nice person and isnt going to just walk away.

Going to see friend this morning to see what her contract actually says. She wants me to help her write termination letter.

Advice most welcome. I have given immediate notice due to child's behaviour but never come across this before

No offence intended, but....
Is there any reason why your friend is taking the word of an illegal minder as the gospel truth? An illegal minder who doesn't object to breaking the law? Is this the sort of person you're supposed to trust to tell the absolute truth? :huh:

I wouldn't necessarily believe hearsay from such a close (?) source as my spouse's aunt anyway (I couldn't even name my dw's aunty) - even less so if she was already so 'honest' as to CM illegally.

OK, without getting emotive, let's look at this. CM's client makes enquiry with illegal minder. Next thing, illegal minder lets CM's hubby know that client has been bad-mouthing CM. :eek:

Sorry, but are me and Inspector Morse the only people who think the illegal minder might just have something to gain by destroying the bond of trust between CM and client? :idea:

Two sides to every story - think on 't.

new to all this
21-09-2012, 08:12 PM
I have to say the same did cross my mind on reading your OP as bunyip pointed out

Mookins
21-09-2012, 08:19 PM
my morton michel contracts have a section that you can cancel within (you fill in how long) without giving notice cant think of the wording exactly though hope that helps
x

ziggy
22-09-2012, 08:56 AM
In repy to inspector morse theory lol, the illegal minder had another family member in house who confirms story. But more importantly she isnt looking to take on children so not sure what she would have to gain from this.

mookins: she uses NICMA contracts, i'm not sure if parent hasnt signed her copy how valid contract now is.

bunyip
23-09-2012, 08:45 AM
Thanks for clarifying.

The only advice I can offer is to do what you think best.
:)