PDA

View Full Version : 2.5 telling fibs advice please

candy cat
20-09-2012, 08:28 PM
I look after a bright delightful lo who I have had since she was 5 mths old....over last few mths she has starting telling fibs at home about her family members hitting her,but over the last few weeks she has started doing it here......telling her mum that other mindees have hurt her etc and today blamed my daughter........we both know that it isn't true and we have tried telling her that it's not nice to blame other people ......She is only 2.5 but very bright.....how would you deal with this?

jaswinder bedi
20-09-2012, 10:14 PM
You must speak to her mum, firstly one to one then sit child next to mum and express feed back, if mum doesnt support then try reward system for her good behaviour. This will surly work but still carry on reminder during circle time or when they come in the morning, talk about what is acceptable and not acceptable. And any problem who to come and speak!!!

Its so hard when they start involving your child and start making stories up grrr!!!:panic:

freckleonear
20-09-2012, 11:04 PM
My 2.5 year old is very bright but she wouldn't really understand about truth and lies yet. She says whatever she thinks will get the result she wants, for example when told she couldn't attend a particular club until she was four, she insisted "I am four!" Your mindee may want the attention she gets from being hurt, so perhaps find another way to fulfil her need for attention.

My DD is also extremely imaginative, so she often makes up stories about people and events. You could listen to your mindee's stories, but use words like "story" and "pretend" to start explaining the difference between make believe and what really happened.

candy cat
21-09-2012, 07:22 AM
Thanksfor advice :0) her mum is totally supportive ....I have read up and shows that she is quite forward in cognitive to be able to fib like this :0) Also maybe an attention thing too as fibs are all about hurting so we all react dont we when someone gets hurt.....It also says her understanding is more foreward than her actual vocab too....I will just make notes and maybe a friendly version of pinnochio :0) She is gorgeous though..... but trying to protect the whole setting x

sarah707
21-09-2012, 07:36 AM
Lies about hitting etc can easily turn into safeguarding complaints and a child who gets lots of attention for telling lies will happily make up more and more - as a friend of mine learned to her cost :(

So... however lovely the little one is and however supportive mum is - you must document everything and protect yourself! xx

candy cat
21-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Thanks sarah .. as ...documenting as nature of mum's job! :0)
verything

kel1983
21-09-2012, 11:57 AM
Lies about hitting etc can easily turn into safeguarding complaints and a child who gets lots of attention for telling lies will happily make up more and more - as a friend of mine learned to her cost :(

So... however lovely the little one is and however supportive mum is - you must document everything and protect yourself! xx

This is great advice.

We had a little one who was always throwing herself on the floor and saying so and so had pushed her when in fact the child accused was no where near her. We kept notes on all the occassions and then one day had ss on our doorstep. LO had told her nursery a few things which lead to a visit to us. Lukily ss and ofsted agreed with us and lukily wasnt taken any further. You never know where these fibs will go.

pinkbutterfly
21-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Lies about hitting etc can easily turn into safeguarding complaints and a child who gets lots of attention for telling lies will happily make up more and more

I was just about to say it. Thank goodness you have a supporting parent tho ... not one of those who believe everything their child says.