PDA

View Full Version : Variation for Sibling?

JCrakers
20-09-2012, 12:42 PM
When I started minding 5yrs ago my first two mindees were an 8yr old and her brother 11yrs.
He soon left due to be older and letting himself in his house etc.
I looked after the 8yr old for 3 yrs until she started secondary school in another town.

Mums had another baby :D She wants me to have him.

Do you think i'll be able to do a variation due to it being a sibling ;)

Does it say anywhere that the siblings have to be attending??

Mouse
20-09-2012, 12:51 PM
This is what the guidance says:

Paragraph 3.29 in the EYFS also allows childminders to care for more children in the early years age group through an overarching ‘exceptional circumstances’ statement. We will normally interpret an exceptional circumstance as relating to the continuity of care for children and/or where sibling children are not babies. These are times where it may be in children’s best interests to be with their brothers and sisters who are already with a childminder, or to remain with the same childminder where circumstances may change the number of children the childminder can care for, such as a parent extending their working hours. This type of arrangement would end when either the parent adjusted their hours or a child left the childminder’s care. It does not give the permission to operate with more children in the early years age group at all times

Sorry, don't think your case would apply as it's not continuity of care.

I had a similar situation last year. I'd looked after a little boy for 4 years, he left 10years ago. Mum had another baby & wanted him to come to me, but I didn't have the spaces. I initially said no, but then a current mindee left suddenly to go to nursery & I could offer her the space. It all worked out well in the end :thumbsup:

JCrakers
20-09-2012, 12:56 PM
Damn it.... LOL

:angry: