Hi not sure if anybody can help me?

my neice is 18 mths old and when shes fallen over or just plain

miserable:angry: she holds her breath:panic:

its so scarey i just end up blowing in her face to get her to come round again

she has even turned blue:eek:

roll on 1st aid x

FizzysFriends
17-06-2008, 04:36 PM
I know someone that used to do this and his parents were told to ignore it but make sure they are safe and then the worst that can happen is they pass out and naturally breathing will go back to normal.

Blaze
17-06-2008, 04:36 PM
You ae doing all that's needed...first aid will help you feel more in control...I used to hold my breathe until I passed out when I was toddler (stubborn moi:D ) & I'm fine...no lasting effects!:thumbsup: It is scary though my dd did it too!:rolleyes:

sarah707
17-06-2008, 05:26 PM
This is interesting -

http://health.yahoo.com/respiratory-treatment/breath-holding-spells-home-treatment/healthwise--hw31882.html

Annie_T
17-06-2008, 06:23 PM
oh dear that sounds bad, but blowing in her face is good on your part hun, least it not kiss of life (god behold)

yea i have first aid course to do yet im nervous as hate going to things like them alone lol

wonder why she does it tho, hmm

angeldelight
17-06-2008, 06:34 PM
My grandson used to do this when he was 3

It can be very scary and you think they are going to stop breathing

Not so !

Make sure that you dont shout or anything - stand away - make sure that there is nothing around that they can hurt themselves on if they fall

They will stop in the end and it wont harm them

We were told to sit him on our lap and hold him gently and he would come out of it
He did !

He did do if on and off for about a year - I have no idea why he did it really - not so much when he was naughty more when he was tired I think

He is 5 now and did grow out if it

The secret is not to panic

Hope things settle down

Angel xx

LOOPYLISA
17-06-2008, 06:55 PM
This is interesting -

http://health.yahoo.com/respiratory-treatment/breath-holding-spells-home-treatment/healthwise--hw31882.html

Thankyou x:thumbsup:

kindredspirits
17-06-2008, 07:11 PM
yikes i would panic if it was my LO - but the others are totally right - even if she passes out she will then begin to breathe, i think if its a tantrum thing then as soon as she learns it has no effect she will stop doing it!

katickles
17-06-2008, 07:39 PM
I know a childminder & one of her littlies does this.

She has also been told that the lo will come round. She just blows into her face to bring her back quicker.

I think it is scary, but be assured as long as she's not near anything that can hurt her she'll be fine. :)

miffy
17-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Don't think you need the first aid course for this you've done just what you need to do

Think it must be quite scary though to watch a child do that

miffy xx

SimplyLucy
17-06-2008, 08:11 PM
My daughter suffers with Reflex Anoxic Seizures, might be worth checking this site out.

http://www.stars.org.uk/

LittleAcorns
17-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Very scarey isnt it? Amber used to do it all the time, turn purple and pass out, the gp said that as soon as they pass out their breathing returns to normal, just watch where they do it...my lil madam did it at the top of the stairs!!!!! against the radiator!!!!!! XX

Noodles
17-06-2008, 09:00 PM
My little one does this but she exhales and then can not breath back in again(only when she is upset or hurts herself) this is something that she cannot control. People say its breath holding but this is the opposite.
on 2 occasions i have had to dial 999 as she has not come round quick enough but she always does come back round eventually.
we used to blow in her face when she was younger but that stopped working when she got a little older.
we find now that if we put a cold cloth n her face it startles her enough to manage to inhale or if she is passed that stage it brings her round quicker.
pm me if i can help you any more.

mrsb
17-06-2008, 09:15 PM
My son used to do this when he was really distressed, It is so scary, he did it once so bad, he turned totally blue and just flopped when my mum passed him to me, I seriously thought he was dead:( :(

I rang the dr and he told us to go in and get his heart listened to as it can sometimes be a heart problem that causes it - luckily it wasn't. He said you can ignore it and just blow on his face so long as their eyes don't roll back, if they do then I was told to squeeze just under his ribs quite joltily sort of thing. I def wouldn't recommend this unless you are told how to do it properly though.
I had to go into school and show them too.

Touch wood he is 8 now and not done it since he was about 5

Noodles
17-06-2008, 09:25 PM
My son used to do this when he was really distressed, It is so scary, he did it once so bad, he turned totally blue and just flopped when my mum passed him to me, I seriously thought he was dead:( :(

I rang the dr and he told us to go in and get his heart listened to as it can sometimes be a heart problem that causes it - luckily it wasn't. He said you can ignore it and just blow on his face so long as their eyes don't roll back, if they do then I was told to squeeze just under his ribs quite joltily sort of thing. I def wouldn't recommend this unless you are told how to do it properly though.
I had to go into school and show them too.

Touch wood he is 8 now and not done it since he was about 5

I was the same the first time my lo went right out went blue her eyes rolled back and just flopped. I was terrified when she started nursery incase she does it there and no one sees her if she falls.
Touch wood it has never happened there but i am always on edge if the phone rings when she is at nursery

Jinx
17-06-2008, 09:27 PM
My son used to do this when he was a baby if he got upset.

He was a prem baby and I'd had to watch a dvd about resuscitation before he came home. Blowing in his face worked all but 1 time when he passed out and I had to give him mouth to mouth!
He came round quickly and we took him to A&E where they said if I'd left him, he would eventually have started breathing on his own!!!! I wasn't going to stand there and wait! :panic:

He's 12 now and fighting fit. :thumbsup:

Jinx x

LOOPYLISA
17-06-2008, 09:35 PM
Ah thankyou everyone for your advice x:thumbsup:

Blaze
18-06-2008, 03:23 AM
My son used to do this when he was a baby if he got upset.

He was a prem baby and I'd had to watch a dvd about resuscitation before he came home. Blowing in his face worked all but 1 time when he passed out and I had to give him mouth to mouth!
He came round quickly and we took him to A&E where they said if I'd left him, he would eventually have started breathing on his own!!!! I wasn't going to stand there and wait! :panic:

He's 12 now and fighting fit. :thumbsup:

Jinx x

I was prem & so was my daughter!

SimplyLucy
18-06-2008, 06:03 AM
My daughter that suffers with Reflex Anoxic Seizures was also a prem baby who need ventilation at birth.

However RAS is an hereditary condition that often goes undiagnosed. What a lot of you are describing with the eyes rolling then going floppy (do they go rigid first?) could actually be RAS wrongly diagnosed as breath holding. It's quite common for that to happen, my daughters was diagnosed by a consultant that she was seeing for lots of other things when she was a baby as she started with RAS when she was 8 months old.

Most children grow out of RAS by the time they are 5 and it causes them no harm what so ever.

My daughter is 6 now and hasn't had an attack since last August. That attack happened when we were at Pontins in the middle of the entertainment area. Someone put a chair on my daughters foot which caused her to do a silent scream, drop to the floor, arch her back and go rigid, eyes roll then flop completely out cold. Caused a right panic with everyone else, but I knew she was fine!