PDA

View Full Version : Kindle or Kobo?

hectors house
20-09-2012, 07:38 AM
It's my husbands birthday and I want to buy him an e-reader - lots of my friends have a kindle and all think it is great, but recently had e-mail from my library saying they are now doing loans of e-books free, but not compatible with kindle (something to do with open copyright), but it is with Kobo - the reviews look good for Kobo and it is e-ink which is apparently same as Kindle screen and easier to read, but just wanted some reviews from "real" people!

Day off today - Need to buy or order e-reader, as well as find a card, book a restaurant, order a cake - it is a BIG birthday!

sarah707
20-09-2012, 08:13 AM
I have a Kindle after lots of research. I have not paid for a book yet - I get them all when they are offered free.

I don't know much about Kobo I'm afraid but I am happy with what I bought :D

loocyloo
20-09-2012, 08:25 AM
i have a kindle and have bought a few books, but most of them are free ones!

i was a bit gutted however to discover that i couldn't download the ebooks from my library onto the kindle. ( but i am investigating putting another ereader onto my phone as i also have kindle on my phone! )

now i have got used to the kindle i find it easy to use and navigate. but i would like a 'back light' so i can read in the gloom without needing a light on! i think i saw that someone somewhere ( !!!! sorry, useless! hmm john lewis??? ) has just released a new e reader that has a back light and is a good price.

xxx

hectors house
20-09-2012, 08:31 AM
Have just been looking on kobo site - they are releasing a Kobo glo on 1st Oct that has light built in costs £99 - OH birthday on 2nd.

Good to know that kindle does lots of free books too - must look into that too.

jaswinder bedi
20-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Definately kindle for me, only paid for 3 books great to read in sun as no glare, easy to use and great that there is a dictionary for words that i don,t know and there is quite a few :laughing:

marnieb
20-09-2012, 11:55 AM
i Love my kindle! On facebook there is a group - http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Free-Kindle-Books/489529967728474 - and they tell you everyday 5 free books to download, in the past 2 weeks I've downloaded about 20!!!!!!!

tialil
20-09-2012, 07:12 PM
I have a kobo touch and love it. Bought it from Staples at a really good price. Dh encouraged me to get the kobo because there are the ebooks from the libraby but also it takes pdf books as well as the kobo books ,so plenty of choice.
I have paid for some books but they have not been free on kindle either. Have had plenty of free books from kobo as well as kindle. With the kindle books I just convert them using calibre( I think thats how its spelt)

I have not read properly for years(apart from kiddies stories) and now every night I read, Ive dropped it from my bed a few times in my sleep but have a gel cover on it and a case so far its been ok .

You can change the font size, there is a dictionary, I have accessed the internet with it as well.

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
20-09-2012, 07:16 PM
I have the Kobo Vox and it is brilliant have never read so much in all my life - love it :clapping::clapping:

hectors house
20-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Thanks for replies - went into Argos as hoping to compare both kindle and kobo in same shop, but they had sold out of kindles - think I am going to go with Kobo and take a chance and get the one with built in light going to be launched on 1st - just hope it is good as the kobo touch. I would like to get the kobo vox but a bit out of budget at moment - as got a long weekend away planned too.

sdean
20-09-2012, 09:25 PM
i have a kindle and have bought a few books, but most of them are free ones!

i was a bit gutted however to discover that i couldn't download the ebooks from my library onto the kindle. ( but i am investigating putting another ereader onto my phone as i also have kindle on my phone! )

now i have got used to the kindle i find it easy to use and navigate. but i would like a 'back light' so i can read in the gloom without needing a light on! i think i saw that someone somewhere ( !!!! sorry, useless! hmm john lewis??? ) has just released a new e reader that has a back light and is a good price.

xxx

not sure if it helps but you can email docs to your kindle email address and add CONVERT into the subject and they will be added to your kindle.

loocyloo
21-09-2012, 08:23 AM
not sure if it helps but you can email docs to your kindle email address and add CONVERT into the subject and they will be added to your kindle.

i've got all sorts of documents on my kindle ( mainly eyfs stuff ;):blush: ) thati just email to my kindle email address, as well as ebooks.

mama2three
21-09-2012, 08:59 AM
I did want an ereader but Im now wondering if I should get a 7'' tablet instead - google nexus maybe - then I can use it as an ereader or a tablet. Unless anyone knows why thats not a good idea?

louise
21-09-2012, 10:25 AM
I did want an ereader but Im now wondering if I should get a 7'' tablet instead - google nexus maybe - then I can use it as an ereader or a tablet. Unless anyone knows why thats not a good idea?

I had decided that I wanted a kindle for christmas and then saw the kindle fire. I have now decided that I fancy the hd one. I thought I may aswell spend the extra and get all the extras as well. Dh thought it looked good to which is saying something.

boxtree7
21-09-2012, 11:52 AM
How do you get free books on your kindle - wouldn't mind some
Freebies x

kel1983
21-09-2012, 12:01 PM
I considered getting a kindle but then came across some great deals on android tablets. I am now the proud owner of a Versus 9" Tablet which cost me £109. It does everything. I have downloaded aps for myself and aps for the children and also books onto the kindle and Kobo app. And of course have this forum link on my desktop.

jackie 7
21-09-2012, 12:29 PM
i bought a kindle and love it but i had waited to see if the fire was coming out. I gave up and got the touch and 2 weeks later the fire came out. i so want it but will have to wait and save up.

loocyloo
21-09-2012, 01:37 PM
Freebies x

sarah707 mentioned this site http://www.kuforum.co.uk/ a while back. you can sign up to have a list of free books sent daily! i seem to download a few a day! i'll never read them all that fast!:D

Tazmin68
21-09-2012, 01:41 PM
Hi
I have a kobo touch. My parents have the first style non touch kobo and since then I also bought my 10 yr old the original kobo for Xmas last year. We are all very happy with kobo you can get free reads with kobo as well.

blue bear
21-09-2012, 07:06 PM
I have an iPad with both kobo and kindle apps on, I get on better with the kindle. Bought my iPad off eBay at a bargain price of £80.

tialil
21-09-2012, 10:02 PM
Freebies x

Hi I belong to this facebook group https://www.facebook.com/lists/10151067573728728 the person who runs this page post freebies as well as reduced books everyday.

I also look on here http://www.ereaderiq.co.uk/free/

hope its ok to post the links :)

cathtee
21-09-2012, 10:05 PM
I have a kindle and took 284 books on holiday with me, 3 of which i paid for the rest free, no one new what i was reading as it was 50 shades.......... its great for me as i need glasses to read, but just change the size of the print and don't need to put them on:clapping:

deb thompson
21-09-2012, 10:18 PM
the kindle fire is out next month I think and the ipad mini is meant to be out in November (my brother in law works in the industry and knows all this stuff!) the kindle fire looks fab, been out in usa for a while, has all good stuff of kindle but with tablet features, i think it's about £129 but not sure. Ipad mini starts mid £100's apparently, don't know much about it as i only just heard about it. I think amazon are doing a pre order for the fire so you could always pre order and give him the email they send to confirm, although it'll mean waiting a few weeks
hope he has a fab birthday xx