PDA

View Full Version : DAILY CHECKLIST SAFETY/CLEANING ETC

silvermist
19-09-2012, 11:30 PM
Hi, does anyone have one of these they wouldn't mind sharing please? :D

rickysmiths
19-09-2012, 11:39 PM
No I don't do one, waste of time. I have a list of what is visually checked each day in my RA Folder and Ofsted were so happy they gave me Outstanding in that area last year.

silvermist
19-09-2012, 11:48 PM
Oooh, thats good to know. Thanks for reply x

moogster1a
20-09-2012, 06:35 AM
I don't have one either.
I feel it's all covered in the ra for each room and the garden . I don't need a checklist to tell me to tidy up!
OFSTED have never mentioned it to me eirther.
Seems a waste of time to me.

miffy
20-09-2012, 06:51 AM
I have a list of everything that is checked daily but tbh I rarely look at it as I'm so used to doing the checks anyway - it's part of my setting up. I don't record that I've done it.

Miffy xx

sarah707
20-09-2012, 06:55 AM
So much negativity in one thread! :laughing:

A significant amount of childminders use daily cleaning and daily safety checks every morning - and some during the day as well.

The checks enable them to show evidence to Ofsted that they are looking carefully all areas of the house and garden to make sure they are safe for all the children.

Many Ofsted inspectors look for safety checks when they are hunting through paperwork while others see them as very good practice... and, as always with inspections, others ignore the issue completely and look at other things!

It is up to you to consider whether you feel it is important to have written evidence - or whether you are happy to explain how you work verbally to an inspector.

I know personally I am not at my best managing the needs of the children and trying to talk through everything during a stressful inspection - I prefer things written down.

To answer your question silvermist - there will be a sample health and safety checklist in free downloads at the top of the forum soon...

Hth :D

miffy
20-09-2012, 07:01 AM
I didn't think the other posts (mine included) were particularly negative.

I do check throughout the day (I think we all do, it's part and parcel of the job) but I don't see the point in recording that I've done so. TBH you could sit down one night and complete a daily check for the last month/year whatever and Ofsted would be none the wiser.

Miffy xx

loocyloo
20-09-2012, 07:30 AM
i have a list on my playroom noticeboard ...

but i never look at it! its just what i do every day anyway! i used to have it as a 'tick list' but decided it wasn't serving any purpose!

the only thing i write down in testing smoke alarms and fire drill each month.

sarah707
20-09-2012, 07:33 AM
I didn't think the other posts (mine included) were particularly negative.
Miffy xx

I was typing my long answer while you were writing your shorter one Miffy - I didn't see yours until after I had posted and I was not commenting on what you had said.

Sorry for any confusion xx

I have seen a lot of negative comments in response to childminder's questions recently - don't bother, don't do it etc.

I find it sad when a member is asking a question and looking for advice and a balanced view is not given.

That's what I was trying to do - some use them... some don't... it's up to you at the end of the day.

:D

rickysmiths
20-09-2012, 08:20 AM
I'm sorry if you see my post as negative. I do have exactly as you suggest a list of what is checked everyday, I used to have a laminated list and I ticked it off every morning and then transferred it onto paper.

It was a waste of time transferring what I was doing onto paper and over a three year or four as in my case period between inspections even a sheet a month makes 48 pieces of paper to file somewhere which are not necessary. So I put a copy of the list into my RA folder.

All other areas are also covered by my extensive written RAs which are all continuously monitored visually on a daily basis through the day because I am always risk assessing all the time.

We are all trying to save on unnecessary paperwork and waste of paper and this is they way I do this.

When I was inspected last year my inspector went through my paperwork with a fine tooth comb. I have very comprehensive but concise paperwork and the only major thing I don't do (again because I see it as a massive waste of time effort and paper when I fulfill all aspects of it in spadefuls in other ways as part of my continuous planning and paperwork)is the SEF.

The inspector complimented me on my comprehensive RA folder and commented that she had rarely seen such a good one. She also commented that she could see very clearly from my home and garden and the way I was with the children that I was clearly Risk Assessing but at the same time with the children allowing them to take risks whilst keeping them safe in a way she had never see whilst inspecting childminders before. I got outstanding in all areas of keeping the children safe.

There for I stand by my comment in my previous post which gave advise on my experience.

I know I didn't achieve an overall Outstanding in my inspection but I am actually glad I didn't because it leaves you no way to go but down. For me two Goods with Outstanding features is great, I am a step up from Good but I don't ever loose the kudos of the Outstanding.

silvermist
20-09-2012, 08:38 AM
Crikey! I asked this question because I wanted advise so sorry to see people getting a bit narked really.

As I am aiming to do everything I can to show good practise and one day achieve an Outstanding grade I will be using a daily sheet. (Also I quite like paperwork :))

Sarah, I looked in downloads and cant see it,though its probably staring me in the face lol) can you direct me please?
Many thanks xxx

BucksCM
20-09-2012, 08:46 AM
Negativity?! Where?
All I saw too, was advice that yes, have a list, but don't waist time ticking it every day, just put it in the folder to show that you do check.:thumbsup:

linda2girls
20-09-2012, 08:46 AM
If you want to do one, I will send you mine if you pm me your email address.

Linda.

silvermist
20-09-2012, 08:50 AM
Thank you for your offer, is it a word doc, I cant seem to open anything thats on word. I can only open pdf stuff. I have know idea why! :panic:

mama2three
20-09-2012, 09:13 AM
Dont think its there yet silvermist.

I have a 'checklist' - it sits in my RA folder and my policy says I use it. I dont feel the need to tick anything to say I have done so though- I agree with RS there , it serves no additional purpose.

Maybe I was lucky and had an inspector with common sense - not everyone is so lucky. if you feel happier documenting the checks then do so - To me its just paperwork for paperworks sake! Im far enough behind without adding more!

Tealady
20-09-2012, 09:23 AM
I do a half way house.

I have My RA's set out in my RA book. But I took on the style of the "Better Food Better Business" where you only log the problems and what you did to rectify them.

rickysmiths
20-09-2012, 09:26 AM
Having a list form someones elses home isn't going to be relevant to your home.

My List has a heading for each area of the house that the children use each day. So for example

Back Hall
Playroom
Kitchen/Diner
Sitting Room
Front Hall
Downstairs toilet shower room

Utility Room Children don't have access but I check the alarm on the door every day and make sure the door is shut.

I look at the following things you may have additional things or not all the things I have.

Floor clear and clean
No trailing wires
No glasses or cups left out from night before
All blind cords secured
Radiators at correct temp
Toilet roll filled up
Clean towels out
Shampoos and shower gel out of reach
Soap dispenser turned on
Bin empty
All windows unlocked
Keys in Patio doors
Keys in top lock of back door
Only age appro toys out for morning arrivals
Register on table
Ofsted cork board out
Cots up in sitting room as req for day
Clean bedding ready
Visually check front and back garden for fox poo and any other hazzards

I don't use socket covers and that is RA as a separate item in my RA folder.

On most of the daily check items I don't not if I rectify them unless it is a major issue like a blind cord can't be secured properly and needs more of a mending or fixing approach. I then make a note on a sheet in my RA folder with what needed attention, what was done and when it was completed.

I hope this helps

silvermist
20-09-2012, 09:30 AM
Thank you thats really useful xx

LittleLadybirds
20-09-2012, 01:21 PM
I have a daily risk assessment sheet up on my wall. I don't sign to say that I have done it, but I do have a sheet in my RA file that I write down if anything has gone wrong/is missing/broken etc, and what needs to be done to fix it. Then I sign to say action is completed.

I don't think having a form that you sign to say that you have done it is necessary - anyone can tick a box! But it at least shows that you have thought about things that need to be checked, and if/when you find things that need action taking then it shows that you are actually doing the checks :)

Have added my checklist as an attachment (in pdf format just for you silvermist :) )

moogster1a
20-09-2012, 04:57 PM
I don't think it's negative to point out to a fellow member that if they wish they can avoid unnecessary paperwork and that it won't affect their inspection outcome.

Carol
20-09-2012, 08:08 PM
I have a daily risk assessment sheet up on my wall. I don't sign to say that I have done it, but I do have a sheet in my RA file that I write down if anything has gone wrong/is missing/broken etc, and what needs to be done to fix it. Then I sign to say action is completed.

I don't think having a form that you sign to say that you have done it is necessary - anyone can tick a box! But it at least shows that you have thought about things that need to be checked, and if/when you find things that need action taking then it shows that you are actually doing the checks :)

Have added my checklist as an attachment (in pdf format just for you silvermist :) )

Very nice (wish I had a play room xxx)

Carol

silvermist
20-09-2012, 08:19 PM

Thats fantastic, thank you kindly xxxx

jaswinder bedi
20-09-2012, 08:20 PM
Every one has different opinion!!! On the paper work thats what it confuses, its best to get all the written work to show evidence to proof. Risk assessment covers indoor and out door!!! As friends mentioned above is very useful.

jackie 7
21-09-2012, 12:38 PM
i was filling in my checklist just before first inspection, yes all at the same time and realised i had said i did a fire alarm check every day, though as my alarm is so sensitive i do!

Daftbat
21-09-2012, 12:58 PM
I'm sorry if you see my post as negative. I do have exactly as you suggest a list of what is checked everyday, I used to have a laminated list and I ticked it off every morning and then transferred it onto paper.

It was a waste of time transferring what I was doing onto paper and over a three year or four as in my case period between inspections even a sheet a month makes 48 pieces of paper to file somewhere which are not necessary. So I put a copy of the list into my RA folder.

All other areas are also covered by my extensive written RAs which are all continuously monitored visually on a daily basis through the day because I am always risk assessing all the time.

We are all trying to save on unnecessary paperwork and waste of paper and this is they way I do this.

When I was inspected last year my inspector went through my paperwork with a fine tooth comb. I have very comprehensive but concise paperwork and the only major thing I don't do (again because I see it as a massive waste of time effort and paper when I fulfill all aspects of it in spadefuls in other ways as part of my continuous planning and paperwork)is the SEF.

The inspector complimented me on my comprehensive RA folder and commented that she had rarely seen such a good one. She also commented that she could see very clearly from my home and garden and the way I was with the children that I was clearly Risk Assessing but at the same time with the children allowing them to take risks whilst keeping them safe in a way she had never see whilst inspecting childminders before. I got outstanding in all areas of keeping the children safe.

There for I stand by my comment in my previous post which gave advise on my experience.

I know I didn't achieve an overall Outstanding in my inspection but I am actually glad I didn't because it leaves you no way to go but down. For me two Goods with Outstanding features is great, I am a step up from Good but I don't ever loose the kudos of the Outstanding.

Thanks for that Ricky! Whilst I agree with everything you have said about lists and RA's I must admit to being insulted by this comment. So, the only way I have got to go is down???? I prefer to think that I have worked blooming hard for my Outstanding grade and the way forward is to maintain it. But thanks for making me feel good........

rickysmiths
21-09-2012, 01:28 PM
[/COLOR]

Thanks for that Ricky! Whilst I agree with everything you have said about lists and RA's I must admit to being insulted by this comment. So, the only way I have got to go is down???? I prefer to think that I have worked blooming hard for my Outstanding grade and the way forward is to maintain it. But thanks for making me feel good........

I don't doubt you did and well done for gaining it, and for maintaining it, but its not for me. I was just stating how I feel.

Daftbat
21-09-2012, 02:58 PM
Well, RickySmiths perhaps you can have a little respect and take other peoples feelings in to consideration when you "state how you feel".

I note you are not up to making an apology.

Never mind I am sure that everyone else on this forum will continue to strive to be the best they can at their job and I wish them all the best in their attempts to do so.

moogster1a
21-09-2012, 04:38 PM
Wow daftbat, I think you might be living up to your name!!
Little bit on the sensitive side if you don't mind me saying.
I'd be intrigued to know which grading you're planning on getting above outstanding ( which is what Rickysmith was saying, you can only stay at that level or more importantly be disappointed when you inevitably don't get outstanding in a future inspection )
I think an apology is needed to Rickysmith+ for
jumoing down her throat.

Daftbat
21-09-2012, 04:55 PM
Yes, I am sensitive about something which I care very deeply about as do others childminders.

So, because I have gained Outstanding there is nowhere left to go????

Just because I have gained it I will inevitably lose it in the future?????

Strange view of the world.

In order to stay at this grade I will have to show that I am consistently assessing, improving and maintaining standards in my setting. I don't view that as standing still or having nowhere left to go.

We all have different views - I will grant you that but I see no problem in trying to be the best I can.

rickysmiths
21-09-2012, 06:14 PM
I am sorry I seem to of upset you that was not the intention at all.

However you now seem to be inferring that those who do not have outstanding are not working hard enough which I find unacceptable, so perhaps we should call it quits and stop now?

Daftbat
21-09-2012, 06:27 PM
Don't know where you get that idea Rickysmiths - I haven't said anything to suggest that.

All I said was that I had worked hard - just like other people on this forum - whatever their grade. The OP on this thread wanted advice which you gave and I supported but then you went a little too far.

It would be rubbish to suggest that unless you are Outstanding then you are not working hard enough. This forum is here to be an aid to experienced and newly registered childminders to share experience and ideas in an attempt to better our practice - at least thats what I believe.

My only quibble is that it is unfair to suggest that if the highest level of grading is attained then you should basically prepare yourself for, asyou and moogster1a say, the inevitable route downwards. I don't agree.

silvermist
21-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Good grief. Thank you all for your advice, I really do appreciate it. Now lets leave it now hey. Lifes too short :thumbsup: