PDA

View Full Version : My happy little boy has turned into a monster..

sarah32
17-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Ive been minding a little boy from 6 months and hes now 15 months. He was my first mindee so very special to me and I have him full time so like one of my own.

He use to be such as happy boy and always laughing and smiling but in the last couple of weeks hes started throwing toys which I can deal with but in the last week hes become so fustrated with toys thats hes started smashing them as well, Ive been watching him today as he really does get annoyed just because I car wont go where he wants it.

He's also started headbutting things, if I put him in the highchair he'll start throwing his head back if I dont take him out and when he strops and I put him in the middle of the room laying down, he'll turn over and start head butting the floor.

He comes to me every morning and I can see its going to be along day as already hes stroppy. Very rare do we have a happy day.

Talked to mum, I think its tiredness but shes says hes sleeping well at night and hes having decent sleeps with me, he is more mobile now as walking around.

anybody else come across this. I hoping it will pass with age. Its really tiring me out as continous all day.

Rubybubbles
17-06-2008, 03:30 PM
oh dear!

My dd hit this around this age too, she was so lovely then BAMM

the lo I look after 13 months, smacked the arm of the chair in a temper today I know he does it a lot at home but I was really surprised.

It does pass with age, but seems to be a lonnnnnggg stage ! hugs

Blaze
17-06-2008, 03:51 PM
As above!:rolleyes: All you can do is use behaviour management techniques in the mean time! :)

Pipsqueak
17-06-2008, 04:54 PM
Could he be bored of the toys? Can you swop the equipment, layouts around, provide diffrent things (have you a local toy library or swop with another minder).

I think a lot of children go through this frustration stage though.
xxxx

sarah707
17-06-2008, 05:30 PM
Poor you ... and poor little man!

It is a phase and it will pass but while it lasts it could end up costing you money by the sounds of it!

I would try a combination of time out and hugs - so he knows it's the behaviour you don't like and you don't have a problem with him. Are parents sure there's nothing going on at home that might be causing his reactions?

Hugs xx

angeldelight
17-06-2008, 06:22 PM
Hope it passes soon

What do you do when he smashes the toys down - do you take the toy away?

If he is headbutting and having tantrums on the floor then lots of children this age seem to do this
He is learning which buttons to press

If it continues speak with the parents and ask what they do in these situations so you can all work together so you dont confuse the little one

Hopefully its a passing phase

Good luck

Angel xx

sarah32
17-06-2008, 06:29 PM
me and mum had a chat about it tonight and she cant understand why hes getting so fustrated with his toys. We've decided that tantrums are going to be ignored.

I have to take some toys away from him when he throws them as worried they are going to hit my other 2 mindee's.

The headbutting is like you said an attention thing and I know alot of children that did it, my nephew use to run at the fridge and headbutt it. They took him for advice and was told a child will never actually be able to do serious harm to themselves and to just ignore it.

angeldelight
17-06-2008, 06:30 PM
Yep that is what I would advise - ignore it and turn away

He will hopefully get fed up when he sees he is not getting your attention

Kids are clever little things haha

Good luck

Angel xx

miffy
17-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Didn't want to read and run but nothing new to add

Hope things improve soon

miffy xx