PDA

View Full Version : hand washing (no downstairs loo)

Buttonsjan
18-09-2012, 06:45 PM
Hi all
How do you all go about hand washing if you have no downstairs loo. I'm using a small washing up bowl with the children whilst they're sitting at the table. However, they're frequently deluging themselves - often nearly tipping it up, despite my best attempts to hang on!

What am I doing wrong (they're only 17mnths)??
Thanks all

Babycat
18-09-2012, 07:09 PM
I used this method of jug and small wash bowls each (infection control) from Nov last year to Aug this..while it was ok most part my first spillage was on my inspection day!!

If you can spare the money (who can right!) its really worth the buy for a portable kiddiwash! But email them and ask if they have ex displays for sale. I did this and love mine :D

HTH somehow x

SarahJellybean
18-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Can you not do handwashing at the kitchen sink?

hedgehog
18-09-2012, 09:39 PM
I have the same problem and would love a downstairs loo!
I have two 18mth olds and I use 2 plastic bowls which I put fresh soapy water into and they each have a flannel. I soak the flannel in the water and squeeze it out then give the flannel to the child and help them wash their hands, face etc then the flannel goes back into the bowl they all get rinsed and the chidren don't get near the bowls so can't spill them. I hang the flannel on the child's highchair so I don't mix them up then bung them into the washing machine at night. Kind of solves the problem but does add extra washing to my already huge washing pile!
My next house is going to have a downstairs loo..... a playroom..... a spare room for a sleep room.... a separate entrance for childminding and a built in spa for me to retreat to at the end of each day!!!:laughing:

tamsin
19-09-2012, 12:17 AM
If their hands look clean i.e. not covered in mud/paint etc. and you're just doing a pre-eating wash I would think you could use one of those hand sanitizing sprays just to make sure they are 'safe to eat off'. It doesn't really help if you're cleaning them up from something messy though - wet wipes before sending them off to the bathroom? At least that would reduce the trail of prints.

Buttonsjan
19-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Thanks guys,
I'd love to just be able to use gel, after all the hospital do that on clean hands - but I'd heard Ofsted frowned on it??

Like the idea of them having the flannels, but don't they need running water??

I obviously need a kiddiwash!! money money

I'm overthinking this i think!

Thanks

jackie 7
19-09-2012, 01:21 PM
i use flannels from ikea, i wet them give to child and wash at the end of the day. Ikea ones are not expensive.

blue bear
19-09-2012, 07:49 PM
In the garden we have a portable shower/camp water bottle thing with a plastic tap on it, the children wash their hands and the water just flows on the ground but it could work with a cat litter tray under it to catch the water and just empty it regularly. The water bottle could sit on a low table or possibly the kitchen counter. Just an idea really.

LittleLadybirds
19-09-2012, 08:48 PM
Hiya, I don't have a downstairs loo either.

I have a box of clean red IKEA flannels which I wet and use one per child to clean hands and face at mealtime. It then goes in the washbag. Next mealtime, I use new ones. AM & PM snacks are not particularly messy, so I clean hands with a babywipe.

If we have been doing a messy activity or out in garden etc.. then I clean majority off with a babywipe or in a bowl of water, then properly wash hands in kitchen sink with soap and water.

Ofsted were fine about this, and I got outstanding on my health&hygiene and safeguarding areas, so can't be much of a problem! You are prob worrying way too much!

Buttonsjan
21-09-2012, 07:45 AM
Thanks guys, I'm off to Ikea!