PDA

View Full Version : Dummies

samb
18-09-2012, 05:58 PM
I am not a fan of dummies and have never looked after a child who has a dummy. I have a new boy who is very short hours (3 a week!) and he comes with a dummy on a clip attached to his clothes, dummy firmly in. I take off his shoes etc and put dummy in his bag and he is fine. When dad collects he asks did he not have a dummy with him? I say yes but I put it in his bag and he is always very surprised. Don't get me wrong, if a child needs a comforter and they have a dummy for this purpose then I would give it on an as and when basis although would try to restrict maybe more than other comforters due to teeth and speech issues.

Am I doing the right thing? As I don't have him much I don't feel I can say too much to parents yet but he just doesn't seem to need it. He is 18 months.

blue bear
18-09-2012, 06:16 PM
Chikdren come in, dummies out and into the drawer, I really don't know when or how this started the children just do it themselves. I think because they are so busy they don't think about the dummies.

At 18 months lo does not need it constantly and it's time to ween parents off the habit of always having it there after all it's a comforter and only needed when child needs comfort.

cathtee
18-09-2012, 06:26 PM
Hi I have 2 lo's with dummies, both arrive with them firmly stuck in their mouth, I don't see why they need them while they play so I take them off them as soon as I can and both moms are ok with that, I do obviously give them to them when they need them the older one is off to nursery soon so hopefully will leave it at home:rolleyes:

sarah707
18-09-2012, 06:41 PM
What gets me is when they've not needed or wanted their dummy all day but it's stuck in their mouths before they get off the drive :rolleyes:

I don't think you are doing anything wrong :D

samb
18-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Thanks everyone- think I was worried that i wouldn't be "working with parents" as I didn't speak to them about what they wanted and just went ahead and put it away! Sure I am not doing anything wrong in terms of lo! Thanks again :)

ziggy
18-09-2012, 07:26 PM
my mindee who has dummy now gives it to mummy as she leaves

i have a spare in case she needs it

Tealady
18-09-2012, 10:05 PM
It's often the parent who needs it rather than the child. They think it stops the child being upset... It doesn't. My nearly three year old has a dummy only at night or if he is poorly. If he want's to winge he will do so, dummy or no dummy LOL