PDA

View Full Version : Advice re possible allergy

cas2805
18-09-2012, 01:27 PM
Help please, not sure what else I can do!

Please don't read whilst you are eating!!!

Mindee has been with me for 2 years and has just turned 3. He eats well, all home cooked food, though everything has to be what "Gina Ford" says.

His poos have been weird for the last year or so. They are almost like a fart of brown powder!! Really difficult to describe, really dry, almost like the texture of broken breadsticks (which he has to have a bread stick before every evening meal???) Also very difficult to clean him, I now know where the expression comes from "Like **** to a blanket!" There are no solid lumps, well not on the two days a week that he is with me. I have been on and on about a doctors appointment and his sheet today from his parents says "Docs said no allergy, it would be diarrhoea" He also has a very distinctive smell of moth balls when he has been. I have been saying for ages that he doesn't drink very well, almost like gulping and doesn't drink unless you tell him to. I asked how much he drinks at home and was told not much! They are now making him drink more, doctor suggested fun drinks like "Capri Sun" which I won't supply!

Anyone else had anything similar?

Pipsqueak
18-09-2012, 01:33 PM
I would say that you are concerned - which you are and that you recommend taking child back to docs - armed with your 'report' or even if they give you permission to approach childs' HV?

It sounds like he is not getting enough liquid into him????
I know you say you won't provide the 'fun' drinks but how about using the hi-juices and pure fruit juices diluted, lots of lollies and ice pops -home made....

I have trouble gettign liquid into my son and his poo's can be very 'dry' (although he is also lactose intolerant and it can sometimes go the other way despite his lack of liquid intake)

if it continues I would be tempted to start recoding as a concern

cas2805
18-09-2012, 01:42 PM
I do say how much I am concerned about him, quite often. Today he had a bottle of water with fruit juices and if I didn't say that he couldn't play at the playground until he finished it, he would have been happy taking 4-5 mouthfulls and telling me that he had finished.

Not sure if I am "allowed" to give him lollies, will ask his parents, but thanks x

Pipsqueak
18-09-2012, 01:52 PM
I do say how much I am concerned about him, quite often. Today he had a bottle of water with fruit juices and if I didn't say that he couldn't play at the playground until he finished it, he would have been happy taking 4-5 mouthfulls and telling me that he had finished.

Not sure if I am "allowed" to give him lollies, will ask his parents, but thanks x

don't know anything about Gina Ford however it sounds like they (the parents) are quite rigid about foods????

Like I say I would start writing your concerns down and getting the parents to sign perhaps that you have noticed XYZ and you recommended going back to the doctors and parents declined and blah....

rickysmiths
18-09-2012, 04:06 PM
Gina Ford

http://www.contentedbaby.com/BabyandToddlerRoutine.htm

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/features/the-great-gina-ford-debate-1864825.html

Here are a couple of links about her.

jane5
18-09-2012, 04:10 PM
My dd has severe food allergies and the gp and consultants have always said trial and error, removing foods from her diet and then reintroducing them was the way she was diagnosed. A stool sample can be tested to see if you are celiac but it is usually takes time to get the results so I would find it unusual for a gp to say in a 5 min appointment that the child had no allergies :rolleyes:

From what I have experienced dairy/lactose allergies/intolerance are typically runny poo's and wheat/gluten allergies/intolerance are typically dry or a clay texture.

From what you describe I would think maybe wheat/gluten could be a problem and almost certainly lo is not getting enough fluid.

It took months of food diaries and hospital appointments for dd to get a diagnosis so if the parents are not concerned there isn't really much you can do :(

cas2805
18-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the links. I often wonder if they have spoken to any Gina Ford babies to see if they are any happier! I feel a little sad that there is no common sense in their routines but it is the parents choice (though I wasn't keen on putting him down in a dark room for a 15 minute nap! He had just fallen asleep!

Anyway enough ranting!

Thanks for the tips and glad someone has the same opinion of a 5 min appointment said no allergies!

tialil
18-09-2012, 09:46 PM
I have had choldren who needed prompting to drink and I used to give them a straw or I bought a novelty type cup - worked wonders :)

cas2805
21-09-2012, 09:38 AM
Not sure if I have tried him with a straw, good idea, thanks x

VeggieSausage
21-09-2012, 12:13 PM
does he eat a lot of weetabix, this can cause bitsy nappies?

nipper
21-09-2012, 12:27 PM
My mother in law is a coeliac and all the women on dh's siDe of the family are also gluten intolerant. I think if the little fella has been eating foods containing gluten he would be experiencing severe stomach cramps too.

Would also recommend getting a novelty straw too. This might just be what he needs to get him drinking more.

Look at this, you'll never get them off him!
http://www.inter-plast.com/PartyStraw.htm

HTH

cas2805
22-09-2012, 09:55 AM
Look at this, you'll never get them off him!
http://www.inter-plast.com/PartyStraw.htm

HTH[/QUOTE]

Love it! Do they do them in adult sizes too? :laughing:

cas2805
09-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Thanks again, unfortunately we are having problems again.

He was sick and diarrhoea 3 weeks ago, when not with me. Last week at my dinner table he was sick. Today he had very runny poo! Put pull ups on him as he soiled all his pants. Came out like dark brown water. Each time I wiped him, more liquid came out. Unfortunately the poo which he did in the pull up, just stuck to his skin, causing redness and blisters. I really don't know what to do, Mum blamed a casserole that he had at the weekend that maybe wasn't warmed up thoroughly!:(