PDA

View Full Version : photographs for observations

lisar
17-09-2012, 06:33 PM
Hi could someone please tell me, are we allowed to use photographic evidence in our observations, we are a group of minders and we keep hearing such different views on this which dont know which is correct, please help :(

sarah707
17-09-2012, 06:50 PM
Yes you are allowed to use photos - they are a very good way of providing evidence and engaging parents in children's learning and development.

You must talk about how you take, use, store and delete photos as part of your safeguarding policy.

You must be registered with the Information Commissioners Office if you use a digital camera.

You must ask parents permission to take, store, print and use photos of their children for various purposes eg to go into Learning Journey books, to be displayed on the wall etc. You should also ask parents about what you need to do if their child is on a photo with other children - some want their children removing.

I hope that clarifies for you :D

lisar
17-09-2012, 09:09 PM
thanks Sarah, its just we hear so many different ways of doing thing but nothing is ever made really clear. My friend had her inspection today and was told NO PHOTOS are to be used!!!!! some times I think a lot of it is the world gone crazy.

migimoo
18-09-2012, 07:21 AM
i'd say 90% of my obs are photo obs or have photos attached so i'd be lost if I couldn't use them!
Still need to register with the info people tho...naughty me:blush:

JCrakers
18-09-2012, 07:24 AM
:eek: can't believe your friend has been told that. I couldn't be without my photos.

rickysmiths
18-09-2012, 07:33 AM
thanks Sarah, its just we hear so many different ways of doing thing but nothing is ever made really clear. My friend had her inspection today and was told NO PHOTOS are to be used!!!!! some times I think a lot of it is the world gone crazy.

If that was Tribal or Prospects I would be sending a letter of complaint to their Complaints Manager, they both have one and I would be asking where in EYFS it says no photos and I would want a written apology from the inspector for giving the wrong advise. I would point out that this has to be stopped before she does this to others so I would ring and speak to them and then write.

This is so wrong.

bunyip
18-09-2012, 07:52 AM
If that was Tribal or Prospects I would be sending a letter of complaint to their Complaints Manager, they both have one and I would be asking where in EYFS it says no photos and I would want a written apology from the inspector for giving the wrong advise. I would point out that this has to be stopped before she does this to others so I would ring and speak to them and then write.

This is so wrong.

Absolutely. Prospects did my inspection and loved the use of photos. So why are they now saying the opposite?

I suspect the answer goes something like:-
"Hello Right Hand, this is Left Hand. So exactly what are you doing?" :p

sarah707
18-09-2012, 08:15 AM
I have asked lisar if her friend who was inspected would be willing to chat with me so we can find out the context of the comment.

For example her friend might not have had parents written permission... might have missed the photo info off her safeguarding procedures... might not have ICO registration to use a digital camera.

Until we know more it is impossible to make a proper judgement on what was said / what happened :D

lisar
18-09-2012, 10:29 AM
hi
Thanks for all comments, I havnt really spoke to my friend since her inspection, she was unaware of a few of the items that were raised and we are all concerned that neither were we. I agree with the comment made re "left hand, right hand" I think registering with the ICO would cover photos etc and is something I must do. I do feel tho our local authority and OFSTED do not follow the same pattern and this causes quite a few problems. it gets really confusing!!!! :rolleyes:

lisar
19-09-2012, 07:03 AM
Hi I was on a council run network last night so I asked the question regarding photos..........

ICO are there to help if we have a problem with any child info or photos we have stored on our computers, ie a minder lost her camera with all her pictures on, it is not a requirement but could be useful if needed. :clapping: