PDA

View Full Version : Dribbling!!!

green4lynn
17-09-2012, 12:27 PM
I look after a little boy (2yrs 9mnths) although very tall and people assume he's older! He has always been a dribbler and I thought it might improve as he got older but it isn't! He has a dummy at nap time, and constantly has his hands in his mouth! He has all his teeth so thats not the problem! Is this normal? Will he grow out of it? When he's playing, if he leans over, the dribble just oozes out of his mouth! He has a sore mouth as a consequence which is getting worse now the weather is getting cooler! If he gets upset his hands automatically go in his mouth and the dribbling gets worse!

Any advice welcome!

Lynn

tess1981
17-09-2012, 01:28 PM
I have a 3 1/2 year old who is the same although he never had a dummy it still ongoing and you know where he has been playing as there are pools of dribble. I'm hoping he grows out of it but I do give him a tissue to clean himself so I'm making him aware of it but mot telling him to stop as I don't want him getting upset over it
Sorry I have no advice but hope someone can help us both :D

nipper
17-09-2012, 01:51 PM
You could be talking about my son...used a dummy until the age of 3 when little sis came along and is now a compulsive finger nail biter at age 8.5. I think some children have more sensitive nerves in the lining of their mouths and have to respond by biting, sucking chewing. I remember just before my daughter was born he had a really nasty rash around his mouth as well, the doctor prescribed a mild hydrocortisone cream to get rid of it. I used to just tell him 'suck up your spit!'. It worked...now it just comes out of nose and I'm constantly on at him to blow his nose!
My 22 month old mindee has a dummy, but is dreadful when eating as she has to use two hands to 'stuff' the food in and gets it all over both hands. If she gets upset and there is no dummy, she too shoves her hands in her mouth until they are soaking wet.

jackie 7
17-09-2012, 06:09 PM
vaseline around his mouth will help to stop the redness, i use it on my little ones for dribble and runny noses. parents gvie me a tin and i name. I put it on at each nappy change.