PDA

View Full Version : restrictions as an assistant

new to all this
16-09-2012, 09:44 PM
My partner is actually the one starting up as a childminder although i wish it was me
I work part time so will be around for 60% of the "normal" working day and will be his assistant although not paid.
Will there be a lot of restrictions on what i can and can't do?
I know i can only be alone with the children for 2 hours without getting permission from parents and obviously i'll have my crb etc but i was hoping to cook the main hot meal (i'm a better cook, though he'd never admit it :p) and do most of the paperwork but am i ok to do both of these?
Any other restrictions i should know about?

watgem
17-09-2012, 06:23 AM
I'm in the process of registering my daughter as my voluntary assistant and she can't be left lone with children as she doesn't have her first aid yet.

bunyip
17-09-2012, 09:37 AM
My partner is actually the one starting up as a childminder although i wish it was me
I work part time so will be around for 60% of the "normal" working day and will be his assistant although not paid.
Will there be a lot of restrictions on what i can and can't do?
I know i can only be alone with the children for 2 hours without getting permission from parents and obviously i'll have my crb etc but i was hoping to cook the main hot meal (i'm a better cook, though he'd never admit it :p) and do most of the paperwork but am i ok to do both of these?
Any other restrictions i should know about?

Check the requirements of the new EYFS Statutory Framework. You really should read it all, but fro a quick scan of the more relevent bits, hit 'Control+F', then search for "assistant". Also see the free resources section on this website (link at top of page) to find the Ofsted guidance on working with an assistant. AFAIK this was published prior to the new EYFS, so may be due to be replaced. IIWY I'd ring Ofsted to check whether they regard it as current.

Your partner should also check his responsibilities for having you as an assistant. eg. he remains responsible for pretty much everything you do; he must act as 'key person' to every lo, and so on.

Referring to your OP, I've highlighted what is either a typo, or a misunderstanding. You can only be alone with a lo for a maximum of 2 hours per day. You must have the parents' permission to be alone with their lo at all for any length of time. You must also have your own paediatric first aid certificate to be alone with them at all.

Good luck with the new venture. :thumbsup: :)

dusky777
17-09-2012, 09:56 AM
Im in the process of getting my my husband registered as an assisitant but i was under the impression that he HAS to have his pediactric first aid (which hes just done) and has to be registered with OFSTED to be left alone for the 2 hours...which i dont need but im doing it if hes ever needed. He works shify pattrerns and is often int he house. I will only leave him for school run if kids are asleep.
Please correct me if im wrong?