PDA

View Full Version : Decision made - Feeling very daunted.

Mrsbartaimi
16-09-2012, 07:40 PM
Hi Everyone.

I'm just looking for a little general information/reassurance.

I had my first daughter in March last year, and a few months prior to her being born i had toyed with the idea of becoming a childminder. Then my daughter was born and i put the idea to the back of my mind and got on with being a mum. My 2nd daughter was born in June and now my family is complete (for now:)) i want to begin the process.

I currently work in the banking industry and i am looking for a complete change of direction, the thought of going back there once my mat finishes in 7 months fills me with utter dread. I have always wanted to work with children and this offers the added bonus of being able to stay at home with my beautiful little ladies.

All im after really are people's experiences etc and any advice. Also wondered how long the process took. I think i pretty much know what i need to do but i'm feeling very daunted about the whole thing, especially as the only experience i have so far is being a mum to my two. Got to say though having 2 under the age of 18 months has been a baptism of fire :laughing:

Many Thanks x

funemnx
16-09-2012, 08:26 PM
I love being a childminder, the days are never the same and the ability to choose what you do and where you go each day is marvellous!

*The paperwork can be daunting
*As you already have little ones, you will only be able to care for 1 more child under 5 years
*The hours can be long

A bonus is that you can choose how many hours and days you work

Best wishes whatever you decide! :thumbsup:

winstonian
16-09-2012, 08:26 PM
I worked in banking too, I grew to hate it. I've now been a childminder for 2.5 years and love it.
I had my 3 children all in 3 years so was used to having 3 under 3.
It is a long slow process to get started and sometimes some parents can be hard work but I can genuinely say I love my job and can't imagine doing anything else.
Good luck

Maza
16-09-2012, 08:50 PM
It's much harder than you would think, but it's very rewarding and you get to be with your own children all day - although they do have to take a back seat quite a bit more than you would realise. Give it a go, the posiitives far outweigh the negatives.