PDA

View Full Version : out door play help please.

mushpea
16-09-2012, 06:25 PM
2 days a week I look after a 5yrold girl, its just her and me as I have no other mindees those days, I need some ideas of what to play or provide outside for her. we have a green house so will planting some winter veg, i have a sand pit, ride on toys, wooden blocks to build with, guttering to roll balls/cars/sand etc down, a toy kitchen with which all sorts of materials are cooked with, some indoor type toys, balls, bats ect but she dosent want to play with any of this, I happen to think that out door play is important after being stuck in school all day so how can I encourage to play out doors,, we do stop at the park somtimes with another childminder but even then she says she dosent want to and strops for the first few minutes then finaly goes to play.
actutualy I have noticed that the last few weeks she has only wanted to come back to mine and spend time with just me which is fine whilst its only her although somtimes we do turn on the water works just to get my attention when prehaps I am cooking dinner or doing paperwork!

christine e
16-09-2012, 07:03 PM
Sounds like you are trying to hard to me. I would continue with stopping off at the park on the way back from school then let her help you get dinner ready if that is what she wants other than that is she interested in knitting or cross stitch or something like that. My afterschoolers have a play on the park, have tea, play board games (just bought a yes/no game from tesco for £5 which they love) or just watch TV

Cx

vals
16-09-2012, 07:10 PM
At school sh5 year olds will be getting some outdooor time. I usually find that 5 year olds are pretty tired after school. Mine like the trampoline, but also are happy to relax and don't want to do anything too demanding after a day at school.
Sometimes children are just like that, and its nice that she wants you attention - however annoying it can be! I have had one 5 year old that liked to tell me things he had been doing, but he always spoke very slowly and in great detail, and the other children would get very frustrated trying to get a word in.he used to start the stories with 'val, do you know...' and I would know we were in for a long one.:)

loocyloo
16-09-2012, 07:13 PM
maybe some small world figures to build a world for outside? my dd is 7, and builds log/stone creations for assorted 'people' or bugs, and also collects leaves/petals/twigs etc to create pictures ( that i then photograph ) or models of things. sorry not explaining very well - added a couple of photos ( the first one is an elephant! )

mushpea
16-09-2012, 08:24 PM
maybe some small world figures to build a world for outside? my dd is 7, and builds log/stone creations for assorted 'people' or bugs, and also collects leaves/petals/twigs etc to create pictures ( that i then photograph ) or models of things. sorry not explaining very well - added a couple of photos ( the first one is an elephant! )

thats a lovley idea, which made me remeber I used to make fairy gardens as a kid, the pound shop near us has wooden bird houses to make at the moment , I could pop down tomoro morning and get one the she could make that then add bits to turn it in to a fairy house,, great idea thanks.
as for the park if I had another child I could justify it better and say to her xx wants to go to the park so we will do that for a while then go home, but as its only her I dont see the point in dragging her where she dont want to go, looking back on it I think its cause shes got me right where she wants me, shes an only child and knowing her parents who are lovley she would have lots of one to one with them so I guess she expects that from me,, I think its lovley that her parents are so involed with her but it cant be good for her not soicalzing with others only at school,, hopefully I will have some others when shes here soon.
shes a lovley quiet little girl and I dont mind spending time with her because shes so sweet but somtimes I run out of ideas

samb
17-09-2012, 10:09 AM
When you say she just likes spending time with you - what is it that you do together that she likes? If she likes to tell you stories about her day maybe you could have a "my day" book that she can create pictures/write in when she gets back to yours while you need to cook etc and then she can tell you all about the book when you are ready? Or maybe if she likes chatting to you and you need to cook, you could invlove her in the cooking and that way still give her attention and get what you need to done too? Does she like things like cutting? My older ones love to cut things out of magazines etc which i then put into a box that the little ones can stick for collages etc. That way she gets an important job and you get something done. :thumbsup:

mushpea
17-09-2012, 10:36 AM
shes an only child and gets lots of one to one from mum and dad and lots of one to one from me as shes the only one here after school at the moment so I think its just a case of her enjoying the nice one to one time, we do baking , arts and crafts, building marble run, lego , puzzles etc, we read storys too and draw together, I think because I have always done things with her she now wont play on her own here.
I think tonight we will go outside and if she dosent want to play then she can help me put the play house back together and tidy the garden up a bit and she will have to like it or lump it. i think I've pampered her too much so going to be less of doig what ever she wants and more of putting up with what I say me thinks