PDA

View Full Version : Are qualifications necessary?

MissSofie
16-09-2012, 11:50 AM
I'm not from England, but want to move there and work as a live-out nanny. I've worked as a nanny for years, so I do have experience in the field.

Is it necessary for me to have a qualification in order to find work? I've considered taking an online course, but I think I might find it too difficult, since English is not my first language. Would it be enough to do the OCN Common Core Skills course and register with Ofsted? Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

- Sofie

samb
16-09-2012, 03:27 PM
You don't have to have any qualifications or be registered with Ofsted to be a nanny. The family will decide what they would be willing to have. However if a family had a lot of applications they would choose someone with something over another person, depending on what they find important to them. Some may only want an Ofsted registered nanny so they can claim childcare element of working tax credits. Others may like experience. Others may be happy with nanny with own children. Others may like qualifications. Maybe speak to local nanny agencies and see if the families on their books at the moment would be happy with you with your experience alone before you embark on anything. However if you want to do it for yourself then why not - getting a qualification in something you want to do can't be a bad thing hey?! Good luck.